3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Derper Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Aug 27 2012, 08:10 AM
Instructor
Hi! How are you doing? How was the wedding? I am very happy for you! Congratulations! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 29 2012, 10:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey Alex, I'm finally back from wedding and such!!

EMULATOR is playing two huge convention/gaming gigs this month! Excited. I'm going to finish my assignment here within the week, after that rehearsal is done. For today, I'm excited to be practicing hard again so I'm focusing on getting chops back up. Here's my "I'm back" thread, which shows a couple things I'm warming up with today before hitting my EMULATOR material.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=45810

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 31 2012, 03:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Aug 29 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Hey Alex, I'm finally back from wedding and such!!

EMULATOR is playing two huge convention/gaming gigs this month! Excited. I'm going to finish my assignment here within the week, after that rehearsal is done. For today, I'm excited to be practicing hard again so I'm focusing on getting chops back up. Here's my "I'm back" thread, which shows a couple things I'm warming up with today before hitting my EMULATOR material.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=45810

Perfect! Let me know when you are ready! And we will continue mentoring program! smile.gif
I have a few good exercises to help you get back in shape faster! Let me know and I will post them!

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 31 2012, 10:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm ready to get back into it now. The last thing we were working on contained some theory stuff (playing the chord tones over the changes/backing) which is the "hard stuff" for me, since I am very lacking on the theory. I was just waiting until I had enough dedicated time to sit down and draw out all of the chord tones and intervals and actually "study" it over quite a bit.

But, I'm always ready to take in new practice routines, riffs, exercises etc... I'm just slower on the theory learning, because I don't know it that well.

Sometime I would LOVE to learn a practice routine that includes some basic arpeggio shapes. I would really like to learn more arpeggios, because I only know a couple basic major and minor ones. I think this could help my theory as well, and to visualize the different intervals and chord shapes in different positions.

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 30 2012, 07:22 PM) *
Perfect! Let me know when you are ready! And we will continue mentoring program! smile.gif
I have a few good exercises to help you get back in shape faster! Let me know and I will post them!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 3 2012, 08:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Aug 31 2012, 09:45 PM) *
I'm ready to get back into it now. The last thing we were working on contained some theory stuff (playing the chord tones over the changes/backing) which is the "hard stuff" for me, since I am very lacking on the theory. I was just waiting until I had enough dedicated time to sit down and draw out all of the chord tones and intervals and actually "study" it over quite a bit.

But, I'm always ready to take in new practice routines, riffs, exercises etc... I'm just slower on the theory learning, because I don't know it that well.

Sometime I would LOVE to learn a practice routine that includes some basic arpeggio shapes. I would really like to learn more arpeggios, because I only know a couple basic major and minor ones. I think this could help my theory as well, and to visualize the different intervals and chord shapes in different positions.

I am glad you back! smile.gif
I understand that theory can be hard sometimes so we will take it easy!! And will do one step at a time!
Good idea about learning arpeggios and some new exercises! I got a perfect lesson for you!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweep-...-7th-Arpeggios/
It is based on G major scale so you will learn how to harmonize a major scale and will master arpeggios! I found five strings arpeggios are much easier then 6 strings and those shapes are very easy to sweep!
Let me know what do you think! smile.gif
After you will get comfortable with this lesson I will show you how to combine arpeggios and create your own licks!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 4 2012, 03:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ha! I LOVE that lesson, and worked on it very briefly when I first arrived to GMC!! tongue.gif

BUT, being new at that time, I was "touching" on many lessons, as opposed to mastering a few. So I didn't get far, and I don't quite remember how to play it at the moment so I am more than happy to give it a real shot this time!

I will admit that I am absolutely horrible at sweeping. Though I don't want to completely avoid sweeping, I also don't want my current sweeping abilities (1 out of 10) to hinder learning the arpeggios. So I may (unless you say otherwise, sensei) both practice it as intended and also as I would normally (alt picking) play it as well.

I don't want to give the impression that I am reluctant to learn new things. I fully intend to be a "decent" sweep picker within the next 1-2 years. But, to describe my "reluctance" to spend too much time on any one thing.... it's time. I play in 2 gigging bands, work full time, and love my life outside of both. So, I try to focus on improving things that I need to improve on soon. Sweep picking, would only apply to EMULATOR, and our second guitarist Sam covers all of the sweep runs. He's light-years beyond me in the "shred" department, so we try to use our contrasting styles and tones to our advantage and embrace that, as opposed to fight it. So, where I DO want to learn sweeping for ME, I almost would be selfish to dedicate TOO much time in the next 9 months to sweeping, when it won't be applied to my projects.

Also, EMULATOR is playing two of our biggest gigs this month. I hate to use that as an excuse, but my time may be limited again soon. BUT, I'm gonna try to work hard, practice a ton for the next 3 work days, and hopefully I can hit this as well and post results!

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 3 2012, 12:52 PM) *
I am glad you back! smile.gif
I understand that theory can be hard sometimes so we will take it easy!! And will do one step at a time!
Good idea about learning arpeggios and some new exercises! I got a perfect lesson for you!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweep-...-7th-Arpeggios/
It is based on G major scale so you will learn how to harmonize a major scale and will master arpeggios! I found five strings arpeggios are much easier then 6 strings and those shapes are very easy to sweep!
Let me know what do you think! smile.gif
After you will get comfortable with this lesson I will show you how to combine arpeggios and create your own licks!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 4 2012, 11:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 4 2012, 02:20 AM) *
Ha! I LOVE that lesson, and worked on it very briefly when I first arrived to GMC!! tongue.gif

BUT, being new at that time, I was "touching" on many lessons, as opposed to mastering a few. So I didn't get far, and I don't quite remember how to play it at the moment so I am more than happy to give it a real shot this time!

I will admit that I am absolutely horrible at sweeping. Though I don't want to completely avoid sweeping, I also don't want my current sweeping abilities (1 out of 10) to hinder learning the arpeggios. So I may (unless you say otherwise, sensei) both practice it as intended and also as I would normally (alt picking) play it as well.

I don't want to give the impression that I am reluctant to learn new things. I fully intend to be a "decent" sweep picker within the next 1-2 years. But, to describe my "reluctance" to spend too much time on any one thing.... it's time. I play in 2 gigging bands, work full time, and love my life outside of both. So, I try to focus on improving things that I need to improve on soon. Sweep picking, would only apply to EMULATOR, and our second guitarist Sam covers all of the sweep runs. He's light-years beyond me in the "shred" department, so we try to use our contrasting styles and tones to our advantage and embrace that, as opposed to fight it. So, where I DO want to learn sweeping for ME, I almost would be selfish to dedicate TOO much time in the next 9 months to sweeping, when it won't be applied to my projects.

Also, EMULATOR is playing two of our biggest gigs this month. I hate to use that as an excuse, but my time may be limited again soon. BUT, I'm gonna try to work hard, practice a ton for the next 3 work days, and hopefully I can hit this as well and post results!

I am glad you are doing good and have some nice gigs lined up!!!
Take your time!:)
It is not necessary to play arpeggios using sweep only you can do alternative picking as well!
This technique is much harder but you will develop a killer alternative picking! smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 4 2012, 11:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
I pretty much play EVERYTHING alt-picking, besides the few times in EMULATOR that require the classic downstroke power chord rock touch!

So for me, the sweep is harder....but only because I've neglected to put in the starter effort to get decent at sweeping. I'm going to try both, and submit a video for both ways. wink.gif

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 4 2012, 03:44 PM) *
I am glad you are doing good and have some nice gigs lined up!!!
Take your time!:)
It is not necessary to play arpeggios using sweep only you can do alternative picking as well!
This technique is much harder but you will develop a killer alternative picking! smile.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 6 2012, 06:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 4 2012, 10:47 PM) *
I pretty much play EVERYTHING alt-picking, besides the few times in EMULATOR that require the classic downstroke power chord rock touch!

So for me, the sweep is harder....but only because I've neglected to put in the starter effort to get decent at sweeping. I'm going to try both, and submit a video for both ways. wink.gif

I like how you are taking extra mile with everything! It is very good!
I am looking forward to hear your takes! wink.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 6 2012, 06:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Also, I got some time to sit down and draw out the notes that form the chords over the chord progression you last gave me....and, though I can do it "eventually", the chord progression is a bit "advanced" for me to come up with something fluid.

Perhaps we could do the same thing, but with a more basic progression? Meaning, a progression with either...

-less chords in the total progression
-moves a bit more slowly through the chords

My problem is, with that progression....though I was able to break it down and solo somewhat over it by "feel" (well, feel mixed with some major/minor emphasis over the changes) I seem to be having a more difficult time emphasizing the 3rds and 7ths (chord tones) that you wanted me to hit, at that speed. I think my brain will be able to compute a progression that rolls through the changes a bit slower, or something more "classic" or basic. But, I do dig that backing track! Very creative.

So today, I'll step back from that until we perhaps pick a different progression. And in the meanwhile I'll try to get through the arpeggio lesson and hopefully submit my first video to get some feedback.

Thanks Alex!!

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 5 2012, 10:59 PM) *
I like how you are taking extra mile with everything! It is very good!
I am looking forward to hear your takes! wink.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 6 2012, 08:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 6 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Also, I got some time to sit down and draw out the notes that form the chords over the chord progression you last gave me....and, though I can do it "eventually", the chord progression is a bit "advanced" for me to come up with something fluid.

Perhaps we could do the same thing, but with a more basic progression? Meaning, a progression with either...

-less chords in the total progression
-moves a bit more slowly through the chords

My problem is, with that progression....though I was able to break it down and solo somewhat over it by "feel" (well, feel mixed with some major/minor emphasis over the changes) I seem to be having a more difficult time emphasizing the 3rds and 7ths (chord tones) that you wanted me to hit, at that speed. I think my brain will be able to compute a progression that rolls through the changes a bit slower, or something more "classic" or basic. But, I do dig that backing track! Very creative.

So today, I'll step back from that until we perhaps pick a different progression. And in the meanwhile I'll try to get through the arpeggio lesson and hopefully submit my first video to get some feedback.

Thanks Alex!!

I totally understand!!!
How about we will start with II - V - I progression I gave you a while ago?
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/ii-v-i-jam
The chords are:
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7
Let's start by writing out the chord tones!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 7 2012, 01:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
Update!!

I'll certainly be able to work through the chord tones a bit easier with that progression. Though I probably could have challenged myself to "build" something on the more complex progression, I feel like it would be so challenging that I would miss the real concept, and would simply be "memorizing" a chord tone solo that I built. Starting on the easier progression will allow me to actually learn the true concept a bit more. Looking forward to getting that done.

I started working on the sweep arpeggios today. Good news is, I have challenged myself to actually sweep it. After about 20 mins of concentrated effort, I was able to "sweep" the first 3 arpeggios!! Not full speed of course, but it's nice to break through the "I can't sweep" barrier, into "I can kind of sweep, just a little, and not that well yet" territory! And these shapes are new ones to me, but I see the chord tones in it.

I'm such a "hands-on" learner, that I need to keep at routines like this to actually feel and SEE the patterns. I really want to get a fret-light someday, to learn theory. I think it would work well for me.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 7 2012, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 7 2012, 12:41 AM) *
Update!!

I'll certainly be able to work through the chord tones a bit easier with that progression. Though I probably could have challenged myself to "build" something on the more complex progression, I feel like it would be so challenging that I would miss the real concept, and would simply be "memorizing" a chord tone solo that I built. Starting on the easier progression will allow me to actually learn the true concept a bit more. Looking forward to getting that done.

I started working on the sweep arpeggios today. Good news is, I have challenged myself to actually sweep it. After about 20 mins of concentrated effort, I was able to "sweep" the first 3 arpeggios!! Not full speed of course, but it's nice to break through the "I can't sweep" barrier, into "I can kind of sweep, just a little, and not that well yet" territory! And these shapes are new ones to me, but I see the chord tones in it.

I'm such a "hands-on" learner, that I need to keep at routines like this to actually feel and SEE the patterns. I really want to get a fret-light someday, to learn theory. I think it would work well for me.

Awesome!!! I would like you to write out the chord tones so I can be sure you got it right!
I am glad that sweep is working out for you! I found those arpeggios are the easiest to sweep! And you will be able to master them in no time! smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 11 2012, 08:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm going to "challenge" myself, and try to figure out the chord tones w/out a guitar in my hands, and NO CHEATING this time!!

Emi7 is root, m3, 5, m7 I believe: E, G, B, D (realizing now, this is harder than I thought...with no guitar in hand!!)

A7 is root, 3rd, 5th, 7th: A, C#, E, G (*NOTE: I broke my rule, and cheated to confirm the difference between a 7th chord and maj 7th chord. This proves my total lack of theory knowledge. But, that's why I'm here!!)

Dmaj7: D, F#, A, C#

That's my final-answer. Although, I will now look them up to confirm (so I'm not working with the wrong notes) but I wanted to quiz myself first!

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 6 2012, 12:30 PM) *
I totally understand!!!
How about we will start with II - V - I progression I gave you a while ago?
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/ii-v-i-jam
The chords are:
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7
Let's start by writing out the chord tones!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 11 2012, 09:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
HOORAY!! Got it right, with no guitar in hand (the fretboard inside my head)!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 12 2012, 12:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
Here's a vid of me demonstrating the first 4 arpeggios. I really need to work on cleaning up my sweeps, and palm mute to avoid the excess noise. Also, to get a cleaner and more natural "sweep" motion. You can tell that my hand constantly wants to "come back" to alt pick.

Right now, I'm not 100% focusing on sweep technique. Working memorizing the shapes, and chord tones, not simply sweep technique. BUT, I will certainly try to work on all aspects of this lesson including theory and technique. Just pointing out that there is a ton of room to improve.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 13 2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 11 2012, 11:30 PM) *
Here's a vid of me demonstrating the first 4 arpeggios. I really need to work on cleaning up my sweeps, and palm mute to avoid the excess noise. Also, to get a cleaner and more natural "sweep" motion. You can tell that my hand constantly wants to "come back" to alt pick.

Right now, I'm not 100% focusing on sweep technique. Working memorizing the shapes, and chord tones, not simply sweep technique. BUT, I will certainly try to work on all aspects of this lesson including theory and technique. Just pointing out that there is a ton of room to improve.

Hey!!! I like your videos! They are very cool to watch and very easy to understand! smile.gif
Looking at your right hand I can see that your motion is not really sweeping you are coming back to alternative picking and even when sweeping your hand still does micro movements! Try to work on it and really focus on your right hand!
Also another suggestions would be to master those arpeggios with a clean sound the reason is you will hear every little mistake you make and will be able to correct it right away! This trick is very important when trying to learn sweep technique!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 19 2012, 07:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
Here's my attempt at writing a riff around the chord tones of the II-V-I progression.

I have to admit, it was more difficult than I thought. I need to sit down and write/map out the specific notes that I'm trying to hit, perhaps. I'm so bad at theory, and thinking about what notes/intervals I'm playing. But, that's why I'm here I guess!!

Also...I am working on this fun riff, as well! The video explains it, and at the end there is a slower/closer view of my fingerings and picking hand.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 21 2012, 02:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
Also...what is "harmonization"? Or what does it mean to "harmonize a chord/scale"? I think I have a very vague concept, but I would like to learn more.

Is there an easy way to explain/practice this?

As much as I hate the theory/book learning stuff, I feel like I need to tackle that beast at this point. But to start slowly.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 21 2012, 10:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 21 2012, 01:32 AM) *
Also...what is "harmonization"? Or what does it mean to "harmonize a chord/scale"? I think I have a very vague concept, but I would like to learn more.

Is there an easy way to explain/practice this?

As much as I hate the theory/book learning stuff, I feel like I need to tackle that beast at this point. But to start slowly.

You did a great job on the solo! A few timing issues and the video was very short for some reason!
If you can do a full take it will be easier for me to give you advice! smile.gif
From what I have heard it sounded very good!
Also great job on the jazz tune! This song is a hard one but you did an amazing job! I liked it a lot your tone was amazing as well!
About harmonization
It is very easy! Say you have a G major scale
G - A- B - C- D - E - F#

Now you can and every other note and build chords by using thirds

Here is an example:
G - B - D- F# = Gmaj7
A - C- E - G = Ami7

I would like you to finish
Let me know if you have any question or need help with anything!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:06 AM