Descending / Back And Forth (alternate Picking), Quick Licks #16 Descending / Back and Forth Alternate Picking
Todd Simpson
Feb 25 2018, 03:34 AM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #16 ( Descending / Back and Forth Alternate Picking )

INTRO:
This lick sounds like you are playing a wad of notes and it's mostly just the same three note pattern on three strings going down. The trick is that we are going to dance around inside of this pattern to make it sound spiff and shreddy. It's in the key of E but you can move this lick anywhere on the neck and make it in any key you like. One thing, try to use your pinky if you can but if you find it to funky, then you can use the first three fingers as this is not a pinky power lesson and we are at the 12th fret. Make sure to mute everything for at least one pass. After that, interpret the lick any way you want and go crazy!!

Here is the tablature. Go over it slowly, note by note. Then play it slowly as well. Don't try to "shred" it right away smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached File  16.gp5 ( 1.89K ) Number of downloads: 114

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
(GUITAR: This is an MIJ "Golden Era" RG7620 7 String Ibby)
This lick makes a GREAT Alternate Picking drill and once you get it down, you can make it in to a great lick. Vary the speed and the mute/unmute, and make it your own. You can have a killer new bit for your bag of tricks!

BTW:
This is just a starting point, Once you play the lick as written at least once, feel free to modify it and do your own thing with it! Pick more/less, change the distance between fingers, try it at different points on the neck etc. Add this drill to your daily practice routine. Future you will thank you for it

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 25 2018, 03:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Feb 26 2018, 06:48 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Sarge! So I have the honor of being the first one to try your new quick lick!!
Awesome!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2018, 03:49 AM
Nice!!!! This is a complicated lick and so far it seems to have folks waiting to see if somebody is going to try it. Thankfully, the SPARTAN spirit is alive and well in our own warrior of Greece, HLIO!!! After attacking this Lick and nailing it, I gotta say I'm impressed. This lick is set way up on the 12th fret, which is something we don't normally do. Usually they are around the 5th fret. Things get tight up higher on the neck but that didn't get in your way at all. Very articulate playing, no string noise, tight hand synch, aggressive style, it's all there.

In short you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Feb 26 2018, 01:48 PM) *
Hey Sarge! So I have the honor of being the first one to try your new quick lick!!
Awesome!!

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Feb 27 2018, 06:59 AM
Experienced Rock Star
laugh.gif The Spartan spirit of Greece!!! Great one biggrin.gif
Thanks Todd
The path of the warrior!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 24 2018, 10:50 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2018, 08:16 PM
NAILED IT!!!! Yet again. Some very fine playing here. This lick is all about very small movements and very tight right/left hand synch. If your hand synch is off by even a small amount, this lick will show you where the trouble spots are. There is no gap of any kind in between the notes so each and every one has to be struck/fretted in the exact right spot at the exact right moment in order for the lick to move forward. If you miss a strike or a fret, it sticks out like a sore thumb and you get to start the lick over again. Not the case here, each note in it's place, each strike is spot on. In other words, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 24 2018, 05:50 PM) *

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 15 2018, 01:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Lick 16

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2018, 02:57 AM
YES!! That's it. Good use of combining pull offs with picking. That's what this drill is all about. Sometimes, it's a better choice to use pull offs than to pick every single note. Sometimes not. But when it is appropriate, being able to pull it off is the first step. I'm a fan of using the first 3 fingers once I get to the 12th fret. However, it's important to be able to use the pinky as well, so I'd say try this lick using the pinky too. Also, put this and the other licks to use as soon as you can!! Get a backing track from youtube and see if you can integrate what you've learned in to your solos. After all, the entire point of learning any of this is to be able to pull it out of your bag of tricks when doing a solo. The more things you have to pick from in your bag of tricks, the less likely your solos will all sound the same. Of course, you want to have a certain amount of "you" in your solos so that people can recognize that it's you playing the guitar without needing to see your face. Just as one can hear Yngwie or Steve Vai and just know that's whose playing because of whats being played. So take all these licks, and make them your own. Once you get them down, feel free to mod them any way you like and start building on your lick vocabulary! For now you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 15 2018, 08:05 AM) *
Lick 16

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 19 2018, 09:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here is my take Sarge.

Without the camera running I managed it a bit quicker but this is all I could manage with the REC button pressed huh.gif I had to look at the tab though, I kept on getting it mixed up sad.gif

https://youtu.be/yI5fC-Nn13g

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2018, 03:55 AM
Nailed it!! This is a bit of a picking nightmare at first. Your playing it quite well and it sounds exactly right. You've got this lick down for sure. Try it using the "pick once hammer many" approach and it may get brisker/smoother, just pick now and then and rely on your left hand to play most of the rest with hammer ons / pull offs. It's just another way to play it that can also be fun. As for working on your picking, this is a great workout. See if you can keep bumping the metronome and also try it with as little picking as possible to see the difference. There is a LOT of repetition of notes in this one which can make it super tricky. This is one of the bits that I probably made way to hard but you nailed! Well done.

AS I mentioned in the BTW section..BTW:
This is just a starting point, Once you play the lick as written at least once, feel free to modify it and do your own thing with it! Pick more/less, change the distance between fingers, try it at different points on the neck etc. Add this drill to your daily practice routine. Future you will thank you for it.

So now that you have it, make it your own thing!
You just....
LEVELED UP
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 19 2018, 04:09 PM) *
Here is my take Sarge.

Without the camera running I managed it a bit quicker but this is all I could manage with the REC button pressed huh.gif I had to look at the tab though, I kept on getting it mixed up sad.gif

https://youtu.be/yI5fC-Nn13g

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 20 2018, 04:07 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 7 2019, 12:53 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2019, 05:13 AM
Nice!! I can hear a pinch of delay and perhaps reverb which is great! I can tell you are working on your tone! Bit more gain/distortion would work nice as well. It seems to be tough to get a lot of distortion out of your setup for some reason but i'm not sure why. Do you have a noise gate by the way? If you do increase distortion you increase noise which will require a gate or it will sound like a bit wash of random noise. As for the lick, you got this! It's a tricky lick with non stop traverse and some back and forth bits as well just to make it more complicated and sound a bit cooler smile.gif This is a semi shred lick so as you continue to play it you'll be able to get serious speed out of for solo use. You can use hammer ons and pull offs so that you don't have to pick every note, when playing it in a solo. Makes it flow at speed without having to pick everything. As a picking drill it's great since it' works your picking precision when you do pick every note. You got this!You just..
LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 6 2019, 07:53 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:27 PM