Scarlett/reaper Odd Behaviour
Phil66
Dec 24 2018, 09:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I've been on the Line 6 forum with a problem I have with my new Scarlett. To save posting it again here, if you don't mind please click the url and take a look, it's doing my head in and I am trying to record something for the Christmas collab, I'm not going to have much time for a couple of days, then the day after boxing day I'm going away so I need to sort this. I've spent an hour and a half tonight just trying to sort this out. I feel like walking out of my music room, locking the door and throwing away the key right now. Obviously I won't, but that's how I feel. I wouldn't mind but the playback is terrible, clicks and occasional stuttering.

Thanks in advance.

https://line6.com/support/topic/38184-helix...t-as-soundcard/

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 24 2018, 10:01 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2018, 11:04 PM
GMC:er
Is your helix connected via usb to your computer? If so, disconnect it. This will prevent it from making global volume changes to anything. When not connected via usb, the volume knob on the helix will only impact the output volume of the helix itself. If it's not connected via usb, and is still somehow making global volume changes to your daw, then we are in brand new territory.
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 24 2018, 04:32 PM) *
Hello folks,

I've been on the Line 6 forum with a problem I have with my new Scarlett. To save posting it again here, if you don't mind please click the url and take a look, it's doing my head in and I am trying to record something for the Christmas collab, I'm not going to have much time for a couple of days, then the day after boxing day I'm going away so I need to sort this. I've spent an hour and a half tonight just trying to sort this out. I feel like walking out of my music room, locking the door and throwing away the key right now. Obviously I won't, but that's how I feel. I wouldn't mind but the playback is terrible, clicks and occasional stuttering.

Thanks in advance.

https://line6.com/support/topic/38184-helix...t-as-soundcard/

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 24 2018, 11:30 PM
Try; Keep the helix poweroff, open computer, open reaper and just press play and stop, then power helix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 25 2018, 12:08 AM
Thanks folks, the last part in that line 6 forum will be the most helpful but what is bugging me is that all I've done is change the Scarlett. I've left all settings as they were. Very annoying.

It will probably be a couple of days before I get chance to check it out.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 25 2018, 10:40 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 24 2018, 10:30 PM) *
Try; Keep the helix poweroff, open computer, open reaper and just press play and stop, then power helix.

I was thinking about that at 3am, I usually boot the laptop then reach down and switch the mains switch on that powers all of the stuff like Helix, Scarlett amps etc. Maybe I've done it the other way around and it's got confused on boot?

I might give my wife extra wine at Christmas Dinner she may fall asleep and then I can experiment wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 25 2018, 12:42 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 25 2018, 09:40 AM) *
I was thinking about that at 3am, I usually boot the laptop then reach down and switch the mains switch on that powers all of the stuff like Helix, Scarlett amps etc. Maybe I've done it the other way around and it's got confused on boot?

I might give my wife extra wine at Christmas Dinner she may fall asleep and then I can experiment wink.gif

Cheers

laugh.gif

I use the gt-1 just like you, soundcard as my primery device and gt-1 connected both usb (for software control) and line out for direct monitoring.

When computer on I power gt-1, then open gt-1 software and DAW at the same time. But if I disconnect/connect the USB the gt-1 software always asks which is primery soundcard then I select stuff (on gt-1 settings) to make things work properly. I'll check the settings and share here later on in case it may be related and helpful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 25 2018, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 24 2018, 10:30 PM) *

The extra glass of wine with dinner worked, wife is asleep on the sofa, I only had cola wink.gif

The only thing that works is I HAVE to open Reaper with Helix off. I don't even have to press play, just open reaper before switching on Helix.
I wonder why I've not had to do this before? It is a workaround but I'd still prefer it how it was. It's a little bit of a ball ache because I can never run Guitar Pro with Reaper open so I'm going to have to keep on switching of Helix, as I said, it's underneath my desk, I just know I'm going to keep banging my head rolleyes.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 25 2018, 06:54 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 25 2018, 07:19 PM
When you open Helix next time (first reaper then Helix), take a photo of its preferences settings if possible. Then open the way that causes the problem and compare.

There might be some sort of "auto-adjust connections" thingie on Helix thats complicating things, for example it may be trying to become the midi controller etc. automatically. Maybe there's a disable function in its controller software?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 25 2018, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your help Mertay

Well I've just tried to record and it gives me problems in that I can't see the Helix in the ASIO panel so I can't record via USB. Not major but I do like to record a dry signal too sometimes. wink.gif

I've changed nothing in Helix, no recent updates so I'm wondering if it is more computer issue than Helix.

Here are my sound control panel settings in case you spot anything. I don't know what that telephone icon means.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 25 2018, 08:08 PM
The Helix may not be taking over asio but can take over some connections of the soundcard and this may be the problem. This is fixable from my gt-1's controller preferences.

Try my previous post but I don't know how Helix editors preferences/system menu looks like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 25 2018, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 25 2018, 07:08 PM) *
I don't know how Helix editors preferences/system menu looks like.

Nor me biggrin.gif I don't even know where it is that's why I'm saying I'm not sure it's the Helix as I've altered nothing.

Back with wife now.

I will try the desktop computer ASAP.

Shame there isn't a program where you can save system info from one pc to a USB stick and then put the stick in the other one and it tell you where differences are.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 25 2018, 09:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 26 2018, 08:43 PM
Just took a few minutes while wife had a shower.

I just tried the desktop and the result was the same. I've just hooked the Scarlett and the Helix to the laptop on dedicated usb ports. Exactly the same result, the DAW playback is somehow going through the Helix xlr ports and into the front of the Scarlett, I know this because the halos around the gain knobs are lighting up on the Scarlett.

It must be something in this new Focusrite Control but I don't find it as intuitive as the last Mix Control PLUS I'm a routing numpty.

Not got any more time tonight to mess but any guidance left here will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 26 2018, 09:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 26 2018, 09:39 PM
Searched google, I see an automation/controller section on its (I think, could be helix native) software could you share pic of that cause I can't find any on google?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 27 2018, 09:27 PM
Man I feel so stoopid. I was sitting with my wife and I had a light bulb moment. I must have seen it and it didn't register, my subconscious has been working away at it for me. I dashed into my studio room and my embarrassing suspicion was found to be true. I am now self-promoted to supreme head numpty. I've switched between the two settings a few times to prove it out and got consistent results.

I can't believe I didn't spot it, I never really thought to look there, I can't understand how it got changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry folks, I really am.

How it's NOT working:

How it IS working:

Cheers Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 27 2018, 10:17 PM
Ah ok, don't be hard on yourself you've come a long way smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 27 2018, 10:44 PM
Some times we can't see the woods for the trees eh?

Thanks Mertay

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 28 2018, 01:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
EDIT: Nevermind.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 28 2018, 01:18 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2018, 09:35 AM
Oh Ben, don't do that, come on what we're you going to say? laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

One bloke on there was getting frustrated with me, he kept saying it won't work how I've got it set up but I kept saying "but it has since I had my Helix in April 2017, he's been at it a while though so I appreciate his opinion.

He said in one of his later posts.

Last time:

DUMP ASIO4ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Reaper, use the Focusrite USB ASIO.

Input Start = 1

Input End = 8 (unless you're using SPDIF, then 9)

Output Start = 1

Output End = 9

Get a Relay G10 or an A/B box to split your guitar signal A = Helix Input, B=Focusrite Input 1.

That assumes that you've got the Helix output going to the Focusrite Inputs 3-4 and the speakers connected to Focusrite Outputs 1-2, and the BIG KNOB on the Helix set to the default (1/4 and XLR) and it's set to 10 (MAX, FULL CLOCKWISE). In Helix Globals, set the Output for whichever (1/4 or XLR) to MIC (or the signal could be too hot).

I'm probably confusing you suggesting that you use the Focusrite Inputs the way that they're designed to be used, but hey, what do I know.....I'm the guy whose system (same system as yours) WORKS! FIRST TIME, EVERYTIME. DON'T LISTEN TO ME, I"M STUPID!

I have a G10 in constant use so I may give it a go. What are you folks'thoughts?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 28 2018, 09:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
Have you tried using the Focusrite ASIO? smile.gif I tried ASIO4ALL, but it caused me more headaches and problems than I found was worth it.

I don't have the same setup, but I say go for it. Why not? smile.gif

By the way, I was going to suggest and even lower buffer if you're computer can handle it. I know there's a limit for what the human ear can hear in terms of latency, but I still at least feel a better response time from my v-drums at 32 buffer than 256. But I'm no expert smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2018, 10:38 AM
I don't have a problem with latency because I avoid all latency causing things like the plague. I monitor my guitar direct and don't use VSTs at all while recording. I may use them to add flavour afterwards but that's it.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:53 AM