Accidentally Left Amp On !
Ben Higgins
Sep 14 2012, 09:50 AM
Instructor
So, I had switched on my amp to record a riff for the Guess the Riff thread, sometime yesterday morning. In the afternoon, I went out to do some lawn mowing work.. by the time I got back home and in front of my computer it was about 6.30pm. Something red caught my eye. It was the Power switch on my amp which was still turned on !!!! ohmy.gif

My amp had probably been on for about nearly 8 hours !! mad.gif

Has anybody else ever done the same thing ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 14 2012, 11:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Many times,also with my Axe Fx, I used it at church one Sunday when I was working (I go to work, run out at 11 to do the worship at church in my lunch break, go running back to work at 11:30) Monday morning I go to collect my gear and the display is shedding a green light in the dark room.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 14 2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 14 2012, 11:01 AM) *
Many times,also with my Axe Fx, I used it at church one Sunday when I was working (I go to work, run out at 11 to do the worship at church in my lunch break, go running back to work at 11:30) Monday morning I go to collect my gear and the display is shedding a green light in the dark room.

It's hard to describe the feeling when you discover it. It's kind of like a cross between shame and annoyance at yourself and sympathy and worry for your gear !! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ItSME3
Sep 14 2012, 12:31 PM
GMC:er
Lost some sets of tubes like this. Since then I have the pedal board and amp on a power supply with a biiiiiiiiiiig read (super bright led) switch.

Will never happen to me again.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 14 2012, 12:37 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
We often leave studio hardware switched on in standby for a few hours at a time. Most are built to run that way anyway and very often they need to be on for at least 30 minutes if they've been switched off for any length of time before you use them. I once worked in a studio where we left the main SSL console powered up 24/7 - you didn't want to see the monthly the electricty bill. Leaving a guitar valve amp turned fully on though is a bit different but provided it's reasonably well built/designed the only real issue should be the loss of 8 hours or so of tube life.

Domestic/household stuff and computers I tend to always turn off when they're not in use. The exception is the stereo which sits in standby, for the same reason as the studio hardware. Turning domestic stuff off is my tiny bit towards saving the planet smile.gif.

A little differently, I forgot to turn the outside watering system off the other night so we ran through about 10 hours worth of water - about 3000 litres - for the huerta and flowers in one go. That's about 10 days worth gone over night. Plants all looked quite perky the next day though smile.gif.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 14 2012, 01:48 PM
Instructor
I guess it's not so bad if the valves aren't being driven hard for all those hours.. just being on but no work load.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 14 2012, 12:37 PM) *
A little differently, I forgot to turn the outside watering system off the other night so we ran through about 10 hours worth of water - about 3000 litres - for the huerta and flowers in one go. That's about 10 days worth gone over night. Plants all looked quite perky the next day though smile.gif.

Oh no !!! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 14 2012, 02:01 PM
Instructor
yes! I remember that once I left my amp on the whole night in our rehearsal room. I left it on because I was going to get back and play and I never got back to the room that night. sad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 14 2012, 02:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 14 2012, 02:01 PM) *
yes! I remember that once I left my amp on the whole night in our rehearsal room. I left it on because I was going to get back and play and I never got back to the room that night. sad.gif

It just makes you feel so guilty towards your amp, doesn't it ? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Sep 14 2012, 08:35 PM
Ehy guys,
remember to switch your amp off tonight

Carmine

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Sep 14 2012, 08:55 PM
Instructor
Sometimes my axe fx works all day and it's usual thing for it)
But amps is another thing, of course!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 14 2012, 11:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah I have done that before, Ben. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 15 2012, 05:31 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 14 2012, 10:06 AM) *
It's hard to describe the feeling when you discover it. It's kind of like a cross between shame and annoyance at yourself and sympathy and worry for your gear !! tongue.gif

That pretty much sums up the feeling i get. I've done this more than I'd like to admit. I once left my Laney head on overnight to find it still on almost 24 hours later ohmy.gif

I've been better at it lately and usually double check now to make sure I turned it off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 15 2012, 10:48 AM
That Guess The Riff thread is enchanted...

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 15 2012, 02:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 15 2012, 10:48 AM) *
That Guess The Riff thread is enchanted...

If it wasn't for that damn thread I wouldn't have left my amp on !! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 17 2012, 06:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
The keyboardist in one of my bands also plays guitar and has the exact same Fender Deluxe that I play, so I never bring an amp. Well....his red power/standby light doesn't work, so I unknowingly THOUGHT the amp was off when I set it to only standby. It was left on for probably a day or so. Still worked fine, but he wasn't thrilled about it, and I've made sure to never do it again.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 17 2012, 10:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 17 2012, 06:26 AM) *
The keyboardist in one of my bands also plays guitar and has the exact same Fender Deluxe that I play, so I never bring an amp. Well....his red power/standby light doesn't work, so I unknowingly THOUGHT the amp was off when I set it to only standby. It was left on for probably a day or so. Still worked fine, but he wasn't thrilled about it, and I've made sure to never do it again.

Oh no, I bet he didn't want to talk to you for a while ! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 17 2012, 10:12 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Must be the same feeling as when you leave the headlights on in your car and come back the next morning wink.gif

I never did leave the amp on but I did leave the jack plugged in the bass and it has active electronics so it was draining the battery.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Sep 17 2012, 01:59 PM
Ben
did you manage to switch the amp off, after all?

Carmine

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 17 2012, 03:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Sep 17 2012, 01:59 PM) *
Ben
did you manage to switch the amp off, after all?

Carmine

What amp ??? ohmy.gif WAIT !

Ohhhh Daaamnnnn !!!!! mad.gif

Hehehe.. yes I did smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:49 PM