Straplocks, don't seem to fit
kaznie_NL
Feb 9 2008, 05:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I got my normal strap knobs out the guitar, and screwed the straplocks on. Then the problem apeard, the top one just stays a bit loose and I can just keep on screwing them. Another thing is that, when the straps are ont he locks, the system is prety big, form the wood it's 3cm long!
the brand is Boston.

some pics:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 9 2008, 05:25 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 9 2008, 05:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
This is a common phenomenon on basswood ibanez guitars since the wood is so soft things come loose.

I suggest you put real hard filler in the hole, there are fillers that drain in minutes. Then you drill a new hole and screw the new staplock in.
There's a quick fix with a tooth pick is inserted but that would "lean" the force of the screw to one end so the next time you take the stap holder out I guess the hole might appear as oval.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 10 2008, 12:31 AM
Instructor
Yep,drill a new hole and you may even use a piece of paper around screw,just to fix it better.
Also you can cut screw a bit if you thing it's too long,
actually 3cm does seem too long unsure.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 10 2008, 12:38 AM
Learning Tone Master
You'll get used to the straplock length although it looks bad. Better than droping your guitar for sure! And i would go for a toothpick and some wood-glue into the old drill-hole and screw it in again.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 10 2008, 04:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
we have fluid wood (I mean the "wood" which is in a state like toothpaste). Would that work? just pouring it in the hole and then drill when it's hard? But then I can't use my normal ones anymore:S

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 10 2008, 04:47 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 10 2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor
No worries,I drilled couple of holes in my old Ibanez,there's enough space.
Just fill old holes with the paste you have and drill new ones.
About lock size,I misunderstood the question,whole installation IS kind a big
but you'll get used to it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 10 2008, 04:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 10 2008, 04:50 PM) *
No worries,I drilled couple of holes in my old Ibanez,there's enough space.
Just fill old holes with the paste you have and drill new ones.
About lock size,I misunderstood the question,whole installation IS kind a big
but you'll get used to it. smile.gif

Who sais I have a Ibanez? I have a Richwood! mad.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:41 PM
Instructor
It is a common problem, straplocks are bigger that ordinary screws. You'll get used to it. I would suggest to nail a thin nail to drill a small round hole where you want to srew the lock in, and the get out the nail and just screw in the screw form the straplock. No need to drill it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 11 2008, 05:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 10 2008, 06:41 PM) *
It is a common problem, straplocks are bigger that ordinary screws. You'll get used to it. I would suggest to nail a thin nail to drill a small round hole where you want to srew the lock in, and the get out the nail and just screw in the screw form the straplock. No need to drill it.

Thnx for the tip. do i get this clear?
1, Fill the old gap
2, make a little hole with a nail (you meen the needle nail thing? or the fingernail thing? or the tine drill thing? cool.gif )
3, screw the straplock-screw in.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 11 2008, 05:26 PM
GMC:er
wow, some of you guys are sure a lot less particular on how to repair a guitar than I am. taking the jimi hendrix approach, he would scotch tape his pickups on.

I would not put filler in. to repair a door, yes, not my guitar. two ways to do it.

1) take a tooth pick (they are hardwood) and split it into 4 slivers, or two tooth picks into 2 slivers each, use some high quality wood glue to glue the slivers at four corners.

2) professional way is to drill the hole to the proper width and depth and insert/glue a dowel into the hole, drill (carefully and with the correct drill bit drill a new hole for the wood screw).

if you don't know what you are doing, use method 1. no damage is done, and you can always have method 2 done later on.

or do what I do, use the little plastic things you can buy for a buck and a quarter each, they work, and required no modification. takes 5 seconds more of your time, but big deal, any of us whose time is that valuable does not have time for gmc forum.

edit: just because I am such a nice guy, here is a link, cost a bit more here. if you read the reviews you will see a couple guys complained. Probably if you are brain dead, these are a bad idea. For other people they will work great.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 11 2008, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 07:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't like these things...Don't like the idea of having to screw something in the wood of my guitar just like that..I would rather buy a good quality strap that won't detach easily.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 11 2008, 07:25 PM
I'd have to shoot myself if I drilled into one of my guitars lol. No strap locks for me. Just like Bogdan said. Really high quality strap and quick hands for catching falling guitars biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 11 2008, 07:27 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 11 2008, 12:25 PM) *
I'd have to shoot myself if I drilled into one of my guitars lol. No strap locks for me. Just like Bogdan said. Really high quality strap and quick hands for catching falling guitars biggrin.gif

Heheh, funny you say that. I was playing a gig last night, and wasn't even jumping around or anything, but my guitar just dropped. I caught it, but it gave me a scare laugh.gif and the audience a laugh dry.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 11 2008, 07:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Maybe I'll try the toothpick thing... My strap isn't realy loosning now. But I think it's very stupid to have them and not use them:P thnx for all the help, grtz kaz

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 11 2008, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 11 2008, 05:26 PM) *
wow, some of you guys are sure a lot less particular on how to repair a guitar than I am.

Ok, let's start here since I will defend the filler approach since that was my suggestion, among others, but I belive it needs to be defended and not ruled out since fkalich post was written in a way it may seem all fillers are of such quality they could be replace with guano.

I would not put filler in. to repair a door, yes, not my guitar. two ways to do it.

First, look above - "wow some guys...". Then - About the filler, one sort of filler is only cosmetic. It will look nice when you mend your door but it isn't very strong, you could make scrathes with your nail. Another filler is 2-componets, I've used for guitar work that you stir, apply, let it dry for a few minutes and then if you did a good job you have completely filled the hole, into the grains. You can sand it, drill it and paint it just like you'd do real wood. The guitar is mended like if the wood was reinstated, which means there's a durable pice to work with. Nothing even close to guano though guano make islands, you cam make explosives from it and put in your guitar perhaps grow a plant where the strap lock was supposed to sit. But I doubt it will hold the screw for long.
I suppose you meant cosmetic filler or filler for plasterpoards that makes a dust cloud when you sand it? I didn't.

1) take a tooth pick (they are hardwood) and split it into 4 slivers, or two tooth picks into 2 slivers each, use some high quality wood glue to glue the slivers at four corners.

A common easy fix. I wouldn't use glue though, won't be much use since wood pieces glues together should sit under preassure. Sticking toothpicks, glue and right after a screw into the hole is more like cooking a witch brew.
Toothpicks are recommended, not a pro fix but achives to hold things together. I'm sure it would with the glue too but it's likely dismounting in the future would be a bit more problematic than it would without. Especially if you ask my mom she'd recommend it, she could mend anything with tape and glue.

2) professional way is to drill the hole to the proper width and depth and insert/glue a dowel into the hole, drill (carefully and with the correct drill bit drill a new hole for the wood screw).

I'm positive this would do well without the glue aswell but it won't hurt. The idea would be to drive the screw into the dowel, not half dowel and half guitar. But as I read it that was the intention.
*takes the defensive stand* But I don't see why this should be more professional than mending with filler rolleyes.gif

edit: just because I am such a nice guy, here is a link, cost a bit more here. if you read the reviews you will see a couple guys complained. Probably if you are brain dead, these are a bad idea. For other people they will work great.

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 11 2008, 08:39 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 11 2008, 07:28 PM) *
Maybe I'll try the toothpick thing... My strap isn't realy loosning now. But I think it's very stupid to have them and not use them:P thnx for all the help, grtz kaz

Yeah, you do the toothpick fix! It's quick and easy. Other fixes with dowels and fillers is a bit bigger a project.

Just out of interest, what wood is your guitar made from. Would be interesting to know if it's basswood.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 12 2008, 07:03 PM
On shimming with toothpicks:

It helps if you wet the toothpick first, just makes the job easier. The wet toothpick is less likely to splinter while you tighten the screw, which a dry toothpick might.

I don't know about doweling a guitar, sure, it might work, but a dowel could pull out of the body if not glued. The dowel is unfinished, if the dowel were to dry out and contract somewhat, it's very feasible it could. This is the reason both the tops and the bottoms of your doors in your house are painted, even though they are not visible unless you intentionally look at them.

I think a good wood putty/wood filler is probably the best "fix" for your problem, but I have the straplock on my RG shimmed and it works just fine.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 16 2008, 09:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 11 2008, 08:39 PM) *
Yeah, you do the toothpick fix! It's quick and easy. Other fixes with dowels and fillers is a bit bigger a project.

Just out of interest, what wood is your guitar made from. Would be interesting to know if it's basswood.

actually I don't know....

EDIT I found a advertation with the same guitar as I have (the paintjob wasn't even close to my cool look tongue.gif). It stated that it had an Ashwood body.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:00 PM