> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Picking Hand Basics, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 0

Gert1973
Nov 16 2022, 12:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Picking Hand Basics by Ben Higgins

Hi Monica, The last week, I've spend a lot of time working on this lesson with all the tips I got from you, Kris and Todd. Look forward to your feedback! Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 16 2022, 03:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gert!

It's awesome to see you working on this lesson because, in this way, we can fix your picking technique.

Before starting with the feedback, I have a request. When you have a lesson which is still in working progress (not ready for REC), please post your take in the Practice Room.
You will receive from us the same feedback there, but the advantage is the fact that we can talk together. You will be able to respond on that thread and if you have questions or you don't understand something, we can fix this immediately.

Now let's return to your take:

Your right hand looks way better. I like the fact that now you have a good resting point. That's a really good thing.

Now, let's make a step further and fix another important thing at your right hand position. We will add the palm muting technique to your playing. At this moment, your right hand doesn't mute the strings. If you add gain in the tone, the noise will be huge. That's why we need to fix this issue.

If you take a close look in the lesson at Ben's right hand, you will see that he rests the outside fleshy part of his picking hand near the bridge of the guitar. When he plays, his hand still mute the strings.
This is what I would like you to do. You need to always keep your hand in touch with the strings. In this way, you will avoid having unwanted noises.

Keep in mind that we don't use the palm muting just to create an effect in sound. This is what helps us to play clean and this makes a huge difference to our overall performance.

Here you can see the difference between your hand and Ben's hand:
Attached Image

Other than this, I like the fact that this lesson improved your upstroke picking. Also, you have a great sense of rhythm and that is amazing!!!

I think you can try to play the notes even more equally. Some of the mistakes are because of the left hand, but we will fix this problem after we finish with the right hand.
I don't want to give you many tasks at the same time. Tiny steps are better and will help you to make constant progress.

Continue practicing this lesson and after you fix the right hand position, I will give you a new lesson. Something more fun for playing. wink.gif

BTW, after you learn the main techniques and you will achieve level 3 of difficulty, I will give you some lessons (I know how important is for you to receive lessons from us) that will fit with your preferences (the style of your guitar heroes). I'm sure this will make you very happy.

Keep up your great work! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2022, 02:54 AM
GMC:er
Some great advice from Monica as always! Picking technique is the foundation of playing imho. You are off to a good start but your hand position is not ideal. I want you to try something. Take a look at this video and see if you can get your hand to to this.

I know I have suggested you sit with the guitar in classical position. I don't know if you tried this and found it impossible or what, but I'm mentioning it here again just to see if I can find out how it went?

Here is the video.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 17 2022, 08:35 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice to see you adapt to a dynamic practice routine - choosing a lesson focusing on picking is a smart move as this stage - well done!

I want to emphasise what Monica said about posting here on the REC board only when you have what you think might be a qualifying take. This take does not use the original tempo (and therefore does nto qualify for REC).

---

The more you play the more you realise what I huge difference details make as it relates to guitar technique.

So the very first step for you should be to emulate the hand position of the instructor as Monica pointed out. Otherwise you are giving yourself a major disadvantage as you try to nail those subtle details that make up for a great picking technique.

Keep up the amazing work 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:47 PM