2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Rec Advice Please
Phil66
Dec 6 2017, 08:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ello folks,

Those of you that participate in the brilliant REC scheme here on GMC, can you tell me your tactics for overcoming REC button syndrome please?

I just posted a take, it isn't brilliant but I posted anyway as REC isn't just there for when you think you will pass but for assessment and advice too. Anyway, I practised the piece for 20 minutes then, when I hit the record button on my video camera I was making mistakes that I hadn't made since starting to learn the piece. Things like dropping my pick, fingers slipping off the string when bending, bends going way way sharp, I'm not pitch perfect wehn bending yet but I go way over.

I personally think the only way to overcome it is to record more takes actually for REC and post them up there. I don't think it works just recording yourself on video, you need the pressure of recording for assessment but, if anyone has any other tips I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Dec 6 2017, 01:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I had the same problem, working on Todd's Shred Journey helped because I record videos way more often for it's smaller lessons. For a REC lesson I would go weeks without enough progress to feel worth recording. Recording on a more frequent interval helped a lot.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2017, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I think I'm just going to start posting to REC as soon as I'm half comfortable with the piece at full speed. As we keep saying, it's not just there for when you think you will pass but to get feedback on your playing about what needs work and how to go about it.

Cheers Brian

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2017, 02:31 PM
Instructor
The more you record, the more comfortable you'll be with that situation. Everything commented here is valid to get more relaxed while recording. The good thing of recording yourself is that it puts you in the situation of doing it the best possible. If you can get that "do it right" feeling with a relaxed feeling, you'll get great vids, and your playing will be better, since you are always pushing yourself to give the best.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks Gab,

I record my playing a lot, probably every day but just in my DAW for myself critique. I think even if I did it in video just for myself it wouldn't be much different to just in the DAW.

Nothing compares to an actual, on the edge REC take. That's why I'm going to post as much to REC as possible once I have the track down at full speed with any amount of comfort. I don't mind if it only scores a 1, at least I can then work for a 2,3,4,5,6 smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2017, 03:54 AM
GMC:er
As Yoncopin mentioned, he got a LOT better, just by doing wads of BOOTCAMP Missions. Sometimes I'd have him do a mission 3 times before passing him to make sure he had it, but the point was really just one thing. REPETITION. Just like playing guitar, playing guitar in front of a recording device, or an audience is something that you have to do over and over to get better at. If you can play a bit perfect, then stumble once you hit the record button, it just means you need to hit the record button a LOT LOT LOT more. Simple as that smile.gif The more time you can spend in front of a camera, audience, etc. The better off you'll be. Part of why I have 400 plus Boot camp missions is to give folks a chance to record themselves playing a TON. smile.gif

Folks tend to overthink/over work REC stuff sometimes. You can always re do it, which is sorta the point. You gotta play through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff smile.gif

Todd

[As quote name='Phil66' date='Dec 6 2017, 09:48 AM' post='754349']
Thanks Gab,

I record my playing a lot, probably every day but just in my DAW for myself critique. I think even if I did it in video just for myself it wouldn't be much different to just in the DAW.

Nothing compares to an actual, on the edge REC take. That's why I'm going to post as much to REC as possible once I have the track down at full speed with any amount of comfort. I don't mind if it only scores a 1, at least I can then work for a 2,3,4,5,6 smile.gif

Cheers
[/quote]

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 17 2017, 10:10 AM
Learning Roadie
Video everything and decide it's a REC take afterwards! tongue.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2017, 10:37 AM
Well said!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 17 2017, 05:10 AM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2017, 11:41 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 17 2017, 09:10 AM) *

But then I'll know something will be going to rec and I'll get stage fright tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 18 2017, 09:50 AM
BINGO!!!! smile.gif Honestly, you guys should record just about everhiing you play just to get used to that Red Blinking light, or whatever cue is or isn't there. Even if you just know its recording, it has the same effect. It gets you used to being recorded so that you don't "choke" every time you go to record yourself. Just like playing an instrument, playing in front of an audience consisting of a recording device is a skill in and of itself. It requires repetition. smile.gif

There is just no way around this, any more than you can get around having to practice guitar in order to get better. Also, using the web cam on your laptop, or cell phone video, etc. to record even a small performance is a great way to see how you really sound and how well you are really playing. We often see things in recorded performances that we miss while actually performing.

I kid you not that I spent about a year teaching myself not to say "umm" and "uhhh" and other connective tissue that we say without thinking when we record ourselves on video, before we know better. If you record yourself talking in to camera, to do a video lesson for example, you may find that you do wads of UMM and UHH and such. Worse still, you may not realize you are doing it until you play back the vid. Same thing happens with guitar. You do things, that you just don't realize you are doing. Things that can be getting in your way of getting better. Then all the sudden, when you stand up to play, and turn on a camera, your fingers go all freaky and you find you can't play that spiff lick/solo you just played perfect when sitting down, camera off, curled nearly in a fetal position smile.gif

So yeah folks. At least at the end of a practice session. Record a bit of what your working on and watch it wink.gif It will make you better, quicker. Also, it will help you get over the "KRYPTONITE" recording syndrome smile.gif

Todd

[EXACTLY!quote name='Phil66' date='Dec 17 2017, 06:41 AM' post='754635']
But then I'll know something will be going to rec and I'll get stage fright tongue.gif tongue.gif
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2017, 12:10 PM
I record loads of stuff in my DAW, I do record video two or three times a week but when I'm faffing about uploading it to my PC and then syncing the sound (I hate listening to the camera mic sound) it's all time out of my practise time. To be honest, I don't have a single issue when recording for myself to view and if I took one of those takes an posted to REC I'd fell like I was cheating, kinda like I've bypassed part of the test rolleyes.gif I'd always be saying, "Yeah, I got a pass but I didn't do it right, I didn't truly do it because I took the stress element away” but that's just me. I'd rather overcome the stress by taking the stress and beating it, I think that would make me a better player in some ways.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2017, 01:26 PM
Instructor
As Gab said - the more you record, the more natural you'll feel doing this. don't worry. Relax will come with time spent on recordings smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2017, 02:03 PM
Thanks Darius,

It's not the recording in itself, that doesn't bother me is knowing it's for REC I get tense like when I took my driving test. I'll overcome it, that's why I'm going to post more to REC however bad it is as long as I know all the piece wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 22 2017, 10:16 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just hit that REC button and go for it smile.gif
Worst thing that can happen is you'll get good advice, and will improve! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 22 2017, 11:09 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 22 2017, 09:16 AM) *
Just hit that REC button and go for it smile.gif
Worst thing that can happen is you'll get good advice, and will improve! cool.gif

Spot on smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 25 2017, 06:56 AM
As with most guitar things, WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU!!! That's probably the best way smile.gif It looks like after you responded to me suggesting more rec takes and gabe and darius and fran suggesting the same thing, that you are going to record more rec takes. I don't think it will make you any less of a person. It's just about repetition recording recs and getting used to that red light being on for a rec take.

One thing that sounds like it's a pain is synching it all up. It sound like you need to smooth out your production process so that you get mic / direct sound (whatever you like) without having to spend practice time synching. This can be done. There is a handy utility from LOGITECH that lets you specify a camera source and separate audio source. This way you can do something like run out of the audio interface in to your audio in on your built in sound card and set internal sound card for recording video and then whatever cam you have. So that you have auto synched video as soon as you hit STOP on the logitech recorder and you have the audio you want.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 18 2017, 07:10 AM) *
I record loads of stuff in my DAW, I do record video two or three times a week but when I'm faffing about uploading it to my PC and then syncing the sound (I hate listening to the camera mic sound) it's all time out of my practise time. To be honest, I don't have a single issue when recording for myself to view and if I took one of those takes an posted to REC I'd fell like I was cheating, kinda like I've bypassed part of the test rolleyes.gif I'd always be saying, "Yeah, I got a pass but I didn't do it right, I didn't truly do it because I took the stress element away” but that's just me. I'd rather overcome the stress by taking the stress and beating it, I think that would make me a better player in some ways.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 25 2017, 07:02 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2018, 09:06 PM
Thanks Todd,

I can't see how to do this with my Scarlett, unless I can use USB somehow, I'm useless with cable routing, I get really confused really easy rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 8 2018, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 8 2018, 09:06 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I can't see how to do this with my Scarlett, unless I can use USB somehow, I'm useless with cable routing, I get really confused really easy rolleyes.gif

I did it with a Scarlett, pretty sure it can be done smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 10 2018, 04:31 PM
it's quite simple smile.gif just use the logitech recording app and set vid to cam and audio to internal audio. run a cable out of you scarlet heaphone to the line in on you computer sound card. done. no editing, one take.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 8 2018, 04:52 PM) *
I did it with a Scarlett, pretty sure it can be done smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2018, 01:52 PM
Thanks Todd, I'll have to see how to connect my video camera to my computer.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:09 PM