Yngwie Malmsteen "less Is More"
Darius Wave
Jul 21 2013, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Just found this video. I've pushed the play button waiting for some "wise punchline" and I then I almost fell off my chair ha ha ha tongue.gif It's about Yngwie's point of view on the popular "less is more" sentense, that are often spelled by some more expirienced musicians...or just those who can't shred biggrin.gif

To make things clear I do agree with the main meaning of this sentense. I do belive 3 perfectyly choosen notes give more flavour than some ultra fast arpegios but...though I don't like people who Use this sentense as a defending tool for their lacki of skills. I think every one of us can play song with 3 notes per bar melodies and also put some killer speeds if we like. I don't thing it's good when people form "both sides" offend each other and use some very wise sentenses in the bad way...

What Do You think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 22 2013, 09:07 AM
GMC:er
I guess he came to the point where can say whatever he wants to. He created a complete musical style , so he can easily crap over all us , with his "wise punchlines" laugh.gif

That's probably main reason why nobody listens to his albums since 1988. Well, except some shredders-wannabe.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jul 22 2013, 09:07 AM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 22 2013, 09:20 AM
Theory Instructor
I think I love this quote, one of the greatest interview quotes from Yngwie!

I agree that each player can be intense and creative in their own way, using few or many notes. If you can hear something in your ears, and translate it to the guitar, then it will be musical and flow in an organic fashion, whether it's slow or fast. But, if we force something, like a tonne of notes into a bar, or a short melodic phrase with few notes, because we think that's how we should play, and it's not how we internally hear the music, then it'll never turn out well for us as players.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 22 2013, 09:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jul 22 2013, 08:20 AM) *
I think I love this quote, one of the greatest interview quotes from Yngwie!

I agree that each player can be intense and creative in their own way, using few or many notes. If you can hear something in your ears, and translate it to the guitar, then it will be musical and flow in an organic fashion, whether it's slow or fast. But, if we force something, like a tonne of notes into a bar, or a short melodic phrase with few notes, because we think that's how we should play, and it's not how we internally hear the music, then it'll never turn out well for us as players.

I couldn't've said it better myself! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 22 2013, 12:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
What would music be if people were just shreddin all the time. I think i get tired of listening to it. He is amazing for sure. I like the long notes and slow groves to. That's what's cool bout music, it can be so different, and just AWSOME to hear.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 22 2013, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Yes...this is cool but what I miss within people is the tolerance and respect to each other. Yngwie has right to play a lot of notes because...it's part of his style ...same as famous "slow hand" Eric Clapton. Both are awesome smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 22 2013, 04:40 PM
Instructor
hahaha I always share this video.. his question is so logical.. how less can be more?? I think that Professor post is excellent for this topic, can't agree more.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 22 2013, 05:03 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 22 2013, 03:19 PM) *
Yes...this is cool but what I miss within people is the tolerance and respect to each other. Yngwie has right to play a lot of notes because...it's part of his style ...same as famous "slow hand" Eric Clapton. Both are awesome smile.gif

Ok, u can defend Yngwie's theory as "part of his style" , but he hasn';t created interresting song since 1988 . He didn't developed as a player for 25 years , if that's what he wants, ok...

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jul 22 2013, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 22 2013, 10:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 22 2013, 04:03 PM) *
Ok, u can defend Yngwie's theory as "part of his style" , but he hasn';t created interresting song since 1988 . He didn't developed as a player for 25 years , if that's what he wants, ok...

I do agree at this point..nothing facy doesn't came from him since the times You mentioned Slav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2013, 10:20 AM
Instructor
You know what? I for one appreciate Yngwie's vibrato and touch a lot more than his lightning speed runs - no jokes about it!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2013, 08:41 PM
I strongly believe that "ONE'S TECHNICAL ABILITY SHOULD NOT LIMIT ONE'S MUSICIAL EXPRESSION" which is to say that I think every musician should strive to a level of virtuosity even if they don't play that way in the slightest. The technical ability to control a given note/phrase is crucial to being an expressive player. So being able to play whatever comes to mind, no matter how slow/fast that might be is a perpetual goal, or should be, of anyone serious about their instrument IMHO.

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 21 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Just found this video. I've pushed the play button waiting for some "wise punchline" and I then I almost fell off my chair ha ha ha tongue.gif It's about Yngwie's point of view on the popular "less is more" sentense, that are often spelled by some more expirienced musicians...or just those who can't shred biggrin.gif

To make things clear I do agree with the main meaning of this sentense. I do belive 3 perfectyly choosen notes give more flavour than some ultra fast arpegios but...though I don't like people who Use this sentense as a defending tool for their lacki of skills. I think every one of us can play song with 3 notes per bar melodies and also put some killer speeds if we like. I don't thing it's good when people form "both sides" offend each other and use some very wise sentenses in the bad way...

What Do You think?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 23 2013, 09:15 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 23 2013, 09:20 AM) *
You know what? I for one appreciate Yngwie's vibrato and touch a lot more than his lightning speed runs - no jokes about it!

That is a big reason why I am a fan of Yngwie. I think that side of his playing is often ignored. Two of favorite albums from Yngwie are him playing with the Japanese Philharmonic Orchestra and acoustic instrumental album.

I also like some of his stuff post '88 material... but I also agree some his playing and ideas are very redundant. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2013, 01:29 AM
I"'m with ya smile.gif His skill with vibrato and phrasing is usually entirely ignored in favor of his fast/speedy bits. I mean, it makes sense and all since that's his stock and trade. But yeah, I agree 100 percent with what your saying. smile.gif If he never played another 32nd note in his life, he'd still be worth listening too. He's a pretty good example of what I was talking about before even if he does indulge his shred side a smidge too often smile.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 23 2013, 04:15 PM) *
That is a big reason why I am a fan of Yngwie. I think that side of his playing is often ignored. Two of favorite albums from Yngwie are him playing with the Japanese Philharmonic Orchestra and acoustic instrumental album.

I also like some of his stuff post '88 material... but I also agree some his playing and ideas are very redundant. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 24 2013, 07:14 AM
Instructor
Glad I'm not the only one who sees this tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 24 2013, 08:21 AM
Instructor
His rude and wide vibarato is one of his trademarks I think smile.gif He was one of the very first insane players I had seen when I was starting to play electric guitar smile.gif Still think He's an icon of guitar playing. Also..agree with Slav about what he's done across lats 20 years...but at the same time I think Of his huge success....How many of You would wish to see other people doing "Your Name and Surname licks and style solos ":)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:45 AM