> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 84 85 86 87 88 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 14 2018, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Intervals have two "sides", the quantity and the quality. The quantity is the number, and you can get it by counting like you've done, without thinking on sharps and flats.

Then you have the quality which reffers to major, minor if it's a 2nd, 3rd, 6th or 7th, and to perfect, augmented or diminished when talking about 4th, 5th and 8th.

I recommend you to read about intervals from any harmony and theory book.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 15 2018, 09:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I have The Dummies Guide To Music Theory book here somewhere, read it from cover to cover a while back but none of it stuck in my head.

I'll dig it out.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 15 2018, 03:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2018, 02:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 15 2018, 05:16 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

I have The Dummies Guide To Music Theory book hear somewhere, read it from cover to cover a while back but none of it stuck in my head.

I'll dig it out.

Cheers

Phil

Get back to intervals, they are the roots for many things.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2018, 09:49 PM
Hello Gab,

I'm still around, noodling and doing Todds Quick Licks, it's all my attention can do at the moment. The funeral is December 3rd, then hopefully I'll start getting my mojo back. I've been trying to get back into it but I just can't for some reason. My mindset is like it was 5 years ago, useless noodling but as I said I have been trying to get the full set of Quick Licks done.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 26 2018, 02:14 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the update.

I can see that these are really sad days mate, take your time to feel better and to give love to your wife.

Let's talk in a few days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2018, 09:06 PM
Hello Gab,

My wife went for a little sleep, it's been a hard day for her so I've come onto the forum. When I get back into my practise, I'm thinking of concentrating on blues for the time being. As you know, I'm having a bit of an SRV romance lately so I thought it might be good to do some blues. It's the basis of all rock anyway so it can do no harm.

I don't know if you saw this thread last week, it highlights my blues thing I've got going at the moment.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=59763

Cheers buddy.

Speak soon

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 4 2018, 03:27 PM
Instructor
oh mate!! That's amazing!! Congratulations!! I want to hear it sounding!! smile.gif

Ok, let's get deep into blues!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 4 2018, 03:53 PM
Thanks Gab,

Could we cover a little bit of theory relevant to each thing we do please? The amp sounds incredible, obviously not a metal amp but if you get chance to play a Strat through one on the clean channel you must do it.

I'd like to go way back to basics as though I know nothing about playing blues, lead and rhythm. I won't feel patronised and if I've covered it before I'll accomplish a REC take quickly. Sometimes it's good to go back to basics in case any fundamentals have been missed don't you think?

I'm ready for some practise Gab, not as intense as before for the time being as I need to spend more time with my wife, there is a big void in her daytime now so it's not fair to be in my man cave for a large part of the evening but when she is watching her favourite program on TV and when I've been with her all day at the weekends then it's okay. If you can find a beginner level lesson for rhythm and one for solo that would be great.

There is so much to cover with the blues, Texas shuffle, walking bass lines, blues bends, rakes, double stop bends and lots of others, all of which are good for playing rock in general, I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Cheers Gab

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 5 2018, 11:35 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 5 2018, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! This sounds good!

Before we start, please let me know which blues GMC lessons you've already learn to have it as reference here. We have more than 80 pages here so maybe I can miss some of your work here.

Then, here are some first concepts that we need to work in order to play what you want. I know that you are very interested in playing blues chords and phrases only with guitar so let's get into it.

These are the tools that we will work at first:

Chords:
- Dominant Chords (5 shapes)
- Major Chords (5 shapes)

Scales & Arpeggios:
- Blues Scale (5 positions)
- Dominant Arpeggio (5 positions)

What do you know about these topics?

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Dec 5 2018, 01:54 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2018, 10:14 PM
Thanks Gab,

Regarding which blues lessons I have covered. I haven't done any blues lesson to REC level so I don't count them as done. The only one I did do to a REC level was the Denes one when the backing was incorrect and I couldn't submit it.
Basically we can take any level 1 blues rhythm and level 1 blues solo or anything else and got from there.

Okay here are the answers to your question: "What do you know about these topics? "

Chords:
- Dominant Chords (5 shapes) I didn't know what a dominant chord was until I just had a quick Google. Still need to study more.
- Major Chords (5 shapes) I know the major open chords A, C, D, E, F, and G though I'm very rusty with C and F. I don't know what you mean by "5 shapes".

Scales & Arpeggios:
- Blues Scale (5 positions) The only scale I truly know inside out is THIS and it's extended form, I also know how to use it for major and minor using the different root position. I understand that the blues scale is one extra note.
- Dominant Arpeggio (5 positions) I don't know what an arpeggio is, I was once told that it is a chord that isn't strummed but the notes picked individually. I don't think that is correct.

One note about all of the above:
In each one you mention "5 shapes" or "5 positions". I'm not good at learning five different versions of one thing, I need to master one at a time and then move to another one otherwise they will all get jumbled in my head. I know this from experience in many things. It's how my head works. So we need to start with Shape 1 and position 1, get that indoctrinated into my fingers/brain and then move to the next. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Gab, looking forward to this new chapter.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2018, 07:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

This sounds good. Let's go with one shape at a time, slowly. You keep me updated of your progress and share videos here. Ok?

Let's start with what we'll call Dominant shape 1 (Chord and Arpeggio).

Your first question will be, why do we start with Dominant chords? And the answer is because it's the most used chord in Blues and I'm sure that once you understand these first ideas you'll have lots of fun practicing / improvising.

A dominant chord type is formed by these intervals: Root - Major 3rd - Perfect 5th - Minor 7th.

Attached File  G7_arpeggio.gp5 ( 1.69K ) Number of downloads: 76

Attached File  G7_arpeggio.pdf ( 48.31K ) Number of downloads: 96

You can practice these chord and arpeggio over this backing track. Play it up and down, and then create some cool phrases.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2018, 08:59 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll be on it when I can buddy. I've decided not to ask you questions that I think of but to research them and let you know what I think is right so that you can correct me. I find research is remembered better than just being told an answer.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2018, 09:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2018, 04:59 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I'll be on it when I can buddy. I've decided not to ask you questions that I think of but to research them and let you know what I think is right so that you can correct me. I find research is remembered better than just being told an answer.

Cheers buddy.

Great!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 7 2018, 01:55 PM
Hello mate,

Found a great site. Hopefully it's accurate.
https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitar-chord-theory/
https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/what-is-a-dominant-chord/

Interesting:
DOMINANT CHORDS IN BLUES
In blues music all main chords are of the dominant type. This means the tonic, subdominant and of course the dominant are all dominant type chords (1 3 5 b7).

This is a result of the blue notes, notes that are sung at a slightly lower pitch than those of the major scale. The b7 (b3 and b5 are the others) is such a blue note and that’s why dominant chords are so prevalent in blues music.

Cheers buddy. Should be paying music tonight.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 7 2018, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Yes! Now you have more reasons why I motivate you to work on Dominant chords and arpeggios.

Keep me updated about your progress!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 10 2018, 02:03 PM
Hello buddy,

Been a bad week, not had my hands on guitar much. I was wondering what the 7 meant on a dominant chord. This explained it the best I think.
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons/45

Got to sort out wife's computer this evening, sorted the Scarlett issue out. If you want to see about it check out my "Grrrrrrrrr x2" thread and my "Presonus 1 question" threads.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2018, 02:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

That's right. It's just a symbol to abbreviate the chord type. 'Seventh chords' are those that include a 7th, however this '7th' can be major, minor, augmented or diminished. In the case of dominant chords this 7th is minor. Dominant chords are identified with a 7, this means that C dominant chord is C7.

Is it clear?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 10 2018, 03:02 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 10 2018, 01:51 PM) *
Is it clear?

It was until you said that the 7th could be major, minor or augmented laugh.gif
I'll do some more research. I did do the Coursera music theory course but it wasn't very good. Not enough explanation. I'm one of those crazy people that can't just accept a chord name I have to know why it has that name. It can be a ball ache at times.
I still haven't discovered any its called dominant. I mean the dominant male in a pack of wolves is the leader, I can't see how the dominant chord is dominant in the chord progression at the moment. Lots to discover.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2018, 07:55 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! It's nice to be curious, but I recommend you to avoid hurrying up with this because you'll start to get confused. I think that the more you'll read out there, the more confused you'll be. Unfortunately there are two ways or facets of using the word "Dominant" in harmony, so I suspect that the more you read from different sources the more confused you'll feel at this point.

By now it's enough to get into everything I've shared in the previous posts (regarding theory) and telling me when the chord and arpeggio shapes are learnt. That's the goal now.

About this question:

"It was until you said that the 7th could be major, minor or augmented"

7th is an interval, and interval is a distance between two notes. As you already know, Intervals have two sides, one is the quantity (number) and the other is the quality (minor, major, perfect, diminished, augmented). The 7th (dominant) chord is build by these intervals:

Root
Major 3rd
Perfect 5th
Minor 7th

If the 7th interval is not minor, this chord is not Dominant, it's another type of chord.

Is it clear? Are you ok with "Intervals" concept?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 11 2018, 08:19 AM
Thanks Gab,

It is confusing to me because I ask too many questions, I always have. I used to ask the maths teacher "What is a cosine and a sine, what does it actually mean? I know how to use a cosine and sine to work trigonometry out but tell me what a cosine and sine are please". He couldn't, it frustrated me.

I get intervals, semitone = on fret, tone = two frets etc. I'm getting mixed messages about chord construction, when I read things like "The dominant chord is built on the 5th scale degree", it confuses me, when adding a 7th is it the seventh note from the scale (the 1st being the root) or is it 7 semitones chromatically from the root (counting the root as 1)

Sorry to ask so many question, I need to try and restrain my thirst for knowledge dry.gif

It's our work annual night out tonight (Tuesday) so again no guitar mad.gif

Speak soon buddy, thank you for your patience.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 84 85 86 87 88 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:45 PM