Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Gear?
Jollygreengiant1
Oct 29 2010, 11:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker

came across this video a few days ago and found the amount of gear they used seemed pretty ridiculous, and thought it would be interesting to see what people thought about using pedals and racks or if people prefered playing straight into an amp, surely using that much gear is just overkill?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
del-4fr53e3
Oct 29 2010, 11:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
Their sound is revolutionizing the modern metal scene. If you can control it, and get results that is making the metal world say "wow", it cant be overkill. smile.gif

I prefer it simple though. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Oct 29 2010, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2010, 12:04 AM
GMC:er
Whats lame is that they have all that gear to creat great tone and then they use the freaking mic on the camcorder to get the audio! What a total waste! They could have played through 10 watt combo amps and gotten the same effect. You mostly hear string buzz. Wow thats lame. These guys are incredible players and to see this poor of an audio recording just irritates me to no end. Grr.

Todd

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 30 2010, 01:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
They are not using that much of equipment!

For EVERY Metal band it is the genre standard to have a Tubescreamer-type overdrive set to no gain in front of your high gain amp (acting as a low end cut). Due to the insane amounts of distortion you have to use a Noisegate in front of the amp to fight the feedback and if you want to you can add another in the loop to surpress amp noise.

Besides these basics they are using delays and chorus effects for clean and/or leads which is also very common...
Aside from that there isn't much else going on besides the compressors as tone shaping devices (they could have used an eq pedal for that aswell). They use midi switching which reduces the pedal dancing live because you can select a whole diffrent sound with just one step on a switch.

All in all they use a pretty basic setup for these kind of sounds (metal riffing and clean playing), it just looks like a lot at first sight!
There are guitarists out there using WAY MORE effects, I mean they have no pitch shifters, wahs, phasers, flangers, equalizers, univibes, tremolos, whammys, etc...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2010, 05:08 AM
Zak has a KILLER point about the TUBE SCREAMER. If you don't have one, GET ONE! They are AMAZING. My GNX3 does a pretty good emulation of one and it's the main distortion on every patch I have. He's also right that these guys aren't using "that much" gear. What is just such a shame is that I'm sure this would sound great if they would have just put some mics up and run it in to a mixer and sent that in to the input on the video camera. Video camera audio is fine for just recording yourself playing, but here we have a Trio of players doing great work. It merrits a mixing board and some microphones.

Todd

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 30 2010, 07:36 AM
As Einstein said, "keep it as simple as possible, but no simpler". Lets see, what is in my loop?

BBE Wah -> Boss Compressor -> Boss Distortion -> Modified Boss Overdrive (with Mod it sounds like Tube Screamer, only better!) -> Boss lower Octaves Pedal -> Boss Flanger -> Eventide Pitchfactor -> Eventtide Modfactor -> Eventide Timefactor -> Boss Delay -> Boss Looper -> BBE Sonic Stomp

I have two expression pedals, two 3 button momentary switches, and one 2 button momentary switch. The Eventides have Midi built in, I use that to integrate their Pedals in my desired fashion.

edit: Regarding that band in the video, they remind me of three kids banging on their mother's pots and pans. Awful. Devices are nice, however, there is a reason nobody sells chocolate covered dog poop.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 30 2010, 08:26 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 30 2010, 01:51 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
The 14th time that guy speaking said Aaaa after every three words he speaks I stopped watching Aaa Aaaa laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 30 2010, 06:45 PM
Never!

I've seen a band with 24 pedals all lined up (three rows) in a floor rack, plus foot pedals, distortion box, mixers, and entire wall racks, all neatly cabled backed up by walls of amps (takes 45 minutes to setup). I can't help but think, is it the red or the blue wire, one wrong connection and they are screwed?

It's either that or get emulation like the Pod which has hundreds built in but just sounds a bit more digital or find your own style and stick with just a few pedals.

It even gotten to the point which there's an effect which takes chucks of your playing and reverses it back to you! Is that's going a bit too far? Still trying to find the effect pedal which can play the guitar for you!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 30 2010, 06:50 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 30 2010, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Effects are cool if you know what to do with them. It's all means for expression something else, don't forget that. If you can use all your gear to create and express yourself - why not? Go for it. There is a difference between having lots of gear, and actually using everything for creating something valuable. Gear is nothing more than a tool.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 30 2010, 10:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I think they have a really cool sound so why not. But yes it seems little ridiculous in this video as they are all sitting down on chairs smile.gif)) Generally I don't mind extra gear - it only adds possibilities if you ever want/need something special.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 31 2010, 05:58 AM
Instructor
I'd say you never got too much gear but.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bepti4ltJmc

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 31 2010, 06:13 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nothing beats the Eddie Van Halen method of plugging straight into an amp and turning all the knobs to 11.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 31 2010, 11:53 AM
I think it depends on what kind of music do you play and how you use your effects/pedals/amps you have . . .

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Oct 31 2010, 06:58 AM) *
I'd say you never got too much gear but.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bepti4ltJmc

This vid is hilarious biggrin.gif
That's just a little bit too much . . . smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 31 2010, 12:42 PM
Instructor
there's no too much gear there. as others said, it's just guitar+amp+cab+two pedals mainly (Ts and a noise gate) this is a basic for every metalhead. the others pedals they used are for cleans, and weird sounds, so... it's ok too. just they keep the line of the style they are involved into.
once I've heard that the guitarist from Killswitch Engage uses more than one head/cab in a gig, I mean, more than just one amp sounding through many cabs. per example: another specific amp for cleans.
this can be normal for recordings, but... live? I simple don't understand.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 2 2010, 02:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
The guys from Killswitch used a lot of diffrent high gain amps in their career but for cleans they have always used fender combos! They play through a metal amp for rythms and leads but those kind of amps usually don't have the best clean channels, especially if you use guitars with EMG pickups so they switch to a whole diffrent amp for their clean sounds.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 12 2010, 12:12 AM
Instructor
Two heads, one for clean, and one for overdrive is a good solution for both studio and live. Not a lot of heads can have both great clean and great overdrive, depending on the style.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:52 PM