Does Anyone Know?
USAMAN
Mar 8 2008, 12:53 AM
GMC:er
Is it possible to install fret markers (just round dots) in a neck without a refret job and not destroy the neck.
A link to a site or a name would be great. Perfer in the States cuz shipping would be alot less.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by USAMAN: Mar 8 2008, 12:53 AM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
MickeM
Mar 8 2008, 01:12 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If you have a straight plastic bar or any other dot material

* Measure the diameter of the rod, find a matching drill.
* draw a cross in between all the frets where there's supposed to be dots. Where the X is is where to drill. (you meant on top of the fingerboard or the side? no big differance)
* Use a hand drill or a machine on sloooow.
* Check how thick the fingerboard is, say it's 8 mm. You could settle for 2-5 mm I don't think it matters so much as long as it's not too deep.
* Put a bit of tape at the deapt you choose, say 3 mm, to mark out the distance the drill will take out.
* Drill at the X until the tape says it's deep enough.
* Clean the hole and put a drop of super glue in
* Stick the rod in the hole and cut at the surface with a very sharp knife
* Sand it down
* Done

If you by accident move the drill so it becomes larger than the rod, use sanding spill mixed with glue to fill

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 8 2008, 01:26 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would really like to have dots on my bass but that drilling job sounds frightening to me! wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 8 2008, 01:47 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Mar 8 2008, 01:26 PM) *
I would really like to have dots on my bass but that drilling job sounds frightening to me! wink.gif

This is on my favorite guitar. I may or may not do this ...trembles at the thought of drill bit on fingerboard. If I do, I will document the process and post it here.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 8 2008, 02:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Do you really need them ? wink.gif I have really small dots on the upper edge of the neck but no on fretboard..I find it a problematic when playing live on poorly lighten stages when I can't see those upper dots..In other situations its cool wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:46 AM