Bluegrass Anyone?
misterj
Jul 16 2009, 04:22 PM
GMC:er
pretty nice picking here. check out the mandolin player!! all country style. Good stuff starts around 1 min, then amazing mandolin playing at around 2:20. i think there is a mandolin sweep in the end!!

Ricky Scaggs and Kentucky Thunder

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 16 2009, 04:46 PM
Instructor
I've just finished my first country lesson for GMC. I thought it sounds really cool until I've seen this video hahah. Man these guys are incredible. I am thinking whether I should upload my new lesson or not smile.gif You shouldn't have showed me this video

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 16 2009, 06:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
That was really cool!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 17 2009, 03:43 PM
Who says you have to play 'Metal' to shred!!!!
laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 17 2009, 04:49 PM
I pretty much grew up in a Bluegrass family. My brother has a bluegrass band, father plays banjo.

I have seen tons of Bluegrass bands and players. Ricky Scaggs is very good and I have seen him a few times. There are a number of incredible Bluegrass players, unfortunately, there is a stereotype with Bluegrass music that is not really deserved. I have found it to be incredibly hard to play especially because there are no amps or effects. Not one. When mistakes are made, they are very clear. You can not hide them and the good bands must be very tight and experienced.

There is a big difference between Bluegrass and Country music, but most people can't tell or don't realize. Country is a largely commercialized form of music (Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, Brad Paisley, etc.) and Bluegrass is more traditional folk type of music that you will not hear played much on the radio. You have to look for it.

If you really want to see or listen to some good Bluegrass that you may like- considering if you want more of a modern sound - listen to the New Grass Revival. They were hands-down the best, IMO. Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Pat Flynn and John Cowan. And, I promise you will never hear someone sing like John Cowan (http://www.johncowan.com/history.html) Do a Google or Youtube search for them. They were always considered musician's musicians. Bela Fleck is probably the most famous of the group.

If you want to hear some unbelievable mandolin look for Chris Thile. He'll blow your mind.

This post has been edited by Jeff: Jul 17 2009, 04:53 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 17 2009, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Just checked John Cowan. Great voice and music. Thanks for the link

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
misterj
Jul 19 2009, 05:27 AM
QUOTE (Jeff @ Jul 17 2009, 04:49 PM) *
I pretty much grew up in a Bluegrass family. My brother has a bluegrass band, father plays banjo.

There is a big difference between Bluegrass and Country music, but most people can't tell or don't realize.

If you want to hear some unbelievable mandolin look for Chris Thile. He'll blow your mind.

i love chris thile!! Nickel Creek rocks. i had a friend that knew him and said that he was playing like that since he was a kid! he is amazing. i grew up on bluegrass too. my first guitar experience was playing rhythm to my dad's banjo playing. i i also saw bela fleck live with chick corea. he was amazing. 'm not sure how well known bluegrass is internationally, so i just categorized it in a way that most would understand, but i totally agree with you.

This post has been edited by misterj: Jul 19 2009, 05:29 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 29 2009, 08:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I always like this sound but I never actually listened to some CDs...I think its about time to get some bluegrass music and listen to it more as its really fun and pleasing to my ear! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 29 2009, 10:42 PM
Jazz Instructor
This stuff is very difficult to play!
I think bluegrass and country are not the same. Anyone, this sounds good, thanks for sharing! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 30 2009, 02:20 AM
WOW!!. NEW CHALLENGE FOR ME!!. hahaha. Thank you very much for sharing this

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 30 2009, 09:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Jul 30 2009, 03:20 AM) *
WOW!!. NEW CHALLENGE FOR ME!!. hahaha. Thank you very much for sharing this

You can play mandolin ? smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:00 PM