13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Victor's Bootcamp, Fell Deeds Awake! Now for Wrath!! Now for Ruin!!
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2020, 08:23 PM
GMC:er
Thanks!! This shows me what I wanted to see. I think I see the issue. Your picking with your entire hand based at the wrist. There is nothing "wrong" with this technique. It's traditional alt picking using the wrist. The palm mute is a bit of an afterthought using this approach as the hand has to move and drift a pinch from the mute and it's tough to mute all of the strings at once.

I want you to try to modify this just a pinch.

Example 1. Notice how the amount of pick wag decreases as I speed up. Also notice the pick angle. The angle of attack/address is important as it sets up an optimal position for the hand.

In example 2, notice that my palm stays planted on the bridge. I don't lift or shift. I'm using thumb/finger articulation and using part of my hand and just a pinch of wrist. I've isolated to a single note.

In examle 3, I go through all the strings. Notice I keep a good solid palm mute and dont lift my palm off the bridge. Also, I"m keeping the same slanted forward pick angle. In addition, notice that my pick hand never tenses up. Even at speed, I keep the picking hand somewhat loose. This is key to stamina. Tensing up will kill your ability to play fast for extended periods.\

INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEXT VID
1.)Plant your palm on the bridge. Make sure you find a spot where you can mute every string low to high without using your left hand. To test this, just take your left hand off the neck. Mute all the strings and pick each one to make sure, from low to high E. This is called "center strategy". I want you to find the wrist spot on the bridge where you can tilt your hand to pick each string while keeping it muted. Don't lift or move the hand up and down as you go from string to string. This is not easy at first. You may need to extend your pinky and un clench your fist as the fist method reduces surface area available for muting with the palm. Reference my vids again to see how I'm doing it. You can drift up and down a pinch if needed, but try to keep the hand centered as much as possible.

2.)Pick angle is good! I want you to try to sharpen that pick a bit if possible. Grab a pocket knife and carve it to a very fine point. Then use only the point to pick the string. Don't allow the pick to get any closer to the body of the guitar. Try to see how shallow you can pick. Just barely strike the string with the very very stip of the pick. This allows quicker recovery.

3.)Once you hand is planted, use the hand to do the striking. You can add some wrist in later. For now try to use just the hand. This is not easy. Reference my vids again. Notice has the palm mute stays muted and at slower speeds I'm using just the thumb/finger and part of the hand to control the pick. Once you hit shred speed, you'll add in some wrist. It's possible to use just the thum/finger at low speeds. Check the video of me showing the demo of using only the thumb first finger to articulate. This works well at slower speeds. At higher speeds, the hand / wrist comes in a bit as in my last demo video.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 18 2020, 11:51 AM) *
Picking Test Video

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 18 2020, 09:04 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 18 2020, 07:23 PM) *
Thanks!! This shows me what I wanted to see. I think I see the issue. Your picking with your entire hand based at the wrist. There is nothing "wrong" with this technique. It's traditional alt picking using the wrist. The palm mute is a bit of an afterthought using this approach as the hand has to move and drift a pinch from the mute and it's tough to mute all of the strings at once.

I want you to try to modify this just a pinch.

Hi, thank for you answer.
In the last video I tried to reduce the thumb articulation and that probably resulted in my picking being entire hand based at the wrist.

I usually pick like this.

Now I am a bit confused about picking hand.

1. In my last picking video called Picking Test, I was using too much wrist and no thumb articulation?
2. In this video "Alternate Picking" by Darius Wave is there too much articulation on thumb?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2020, 05:25 AM
I fear I've been confusing you with all this. I'll try to be a bit more clear.

1.)Both videos display similar picking technique. It's not wrong per se. But it could use a bit of adjustment to better serve you. Your picking from the wrist as is traditional. I'm trying to get your hand to do something different.

2.)Plant your palm on the bridge and don't let it move. This will severely restrict your hand. Doing this will allow you to mute all the strings. First, you must unclench your fist. Extend your pinky out a bit to create a straighter line for your palm to allow it to mute all the strings from low to high E. This is the goal of the approach.

3.)Play very slowly as this will feel very odd. Without moving your palm at all, or as little as possible, and not playing with a fist, just pick a single note. Alternate pick it. Any note any string. Just one.

4.)I'm trying to get your hand to do something it does not want to do. It's ok to use some thumb/finger articulation here. This is the "slow speed" picking technique that I display in the demo videos.

5.)Sharpen you pick to a fine point with a pocket knife. Only pick the string with the very tip.

Once you get the hang of this. We can expand on it. But this is step 1.

Let me know if this makes sense smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 18 2020, 04:04 PM) *
Hi, thank for you answer.
In the last video I tried to reduce the thumb articulation and that probably resulted in my picking being entire hand based at the wrist.

I usually pick like this.

Now I am a bit confused about picking hand.

1. In my last picking video called Picking Test, I was using too much wrist and no thumb articulation?
2. In this video "Alternate Picking" by Darius Wave is there too much articulation on thumb?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 19 2020, 11:59 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 19 2020, 04:25 AM) *
I fear I've been confusing you with all this. I'll try to be a bit more clear.

1.)Both videos display similar picking technique. It's not wrong per se. But it could use a bit of adjustment to better serve you. Your picking from the wrist as is traditional. I'm trying to get your hand to do something different.

2.)Plant your palm on the bridge and don't let it move. This will severely restrict your hand. Doing this will allow you to mute all the strings. First, you must unclench your fist. Extend your pinky out a bit to create a straighter line for your palm to allow it to mute all the strings from low to high E. This is the goal of the approach.

3.)Play very slowly as this will feel very odd. Without moving your palm at all, or as little as possible, and not playing with a fist, just pick a single note. Alternate pick it. Any note any string. Just one.

4.)I'm trying to get your hand to do something it does not want to do. It's ok to use some thumb/finger articulation here. This is the "slow speed" picking technique that I display in the demo videos.

5.)Sharpen you pick to a fine point with a pocket knife. Only pick the string with the very tip.

Once you get the hang of this. We can expand on it. But this is step 1.

Let me know if this makes sense smile.gif

Todd

Yes, it makes sense.
I will make a video today later, after I finish work (at my job) for today.

1. I will try not to move the palm, so that means I will have to move my fingers that are holding the pick, correct?
2. If I place the hand to mute all the strings, then start to play a note the note will be muted, is that ok, or should the note not be muted?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 19 2020, 06:47 PM
Learning Roadie

I felt like I was moving the wrist too much in the video above, so I tried to do another video.

Take a look below.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2020, 07:41 PM
THats it!! The second vid is great. Palm doesn't move. It sometimes help to forget the left hand entirely when learning new pick technique. Try the next Mission and see if you can incorporate this picking approach smile.gif

Onward!
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 19 2020, 01:47 PM) *

I felt like I was moving the wrist too much in the video above, so I tried to do another video.

Take a look below.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 21 2020, 07:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Here is my video with drums:

I am not sure if it's ok so I made one with metronome also:

Which one do you think it's better?

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Nov 21 2020, 07:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2020, 10:31 PM
The Second one is better I think as the first one loses synch about 36 seconds in. The good news is that you are making solid progress. I think you are ready to get back to the Missions!

A few tips for the next mission vid

1.)Focus on using as little pick pressure as possible.
2.)Focus on using a shallow strike depth.
3.)Don't push the speed too much just yet as you are still re learning to pick.
4.)Add a bit more distortion/gain to your tone. It will show any gaps in the mute and help you practice dampening string noise while using a tone closer to a recording/live tone.

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 21 2020, 02:38 PM) *
Here is my video with drums:

I am not sure if it's ok so I made one with metronome also:

Which one do you think it's better?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 23 2020, 06:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

What do you think of my picking hand?
I stared moving my thumb more, but am I moving the wrist too much?
At least I am sure I move my wrist as I cross strings.

And here are some of my picks.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Nov 23 2020, 06:26 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2020, 07:45 PM
Which mission is this btw? It's well played! You are getting the hang of it!! A bit of finger articulation and a bit of wrist. That is the idea wink.gif Keep your hand as loose as you can get it. Hand tension is death for picking. One thing I notice, and some people just can do this, which is ok. But it's worth a try. Your palm mute is moving with your hand. If possible, (and it's ok if this is something your hand just won't do) try to keep your pam mute planted and not moving. When you use wrist motion, when anyone uses wrist motion, the instinct is to move the entire hand. Watch my video about finger articulation again and watch my palm mute. Notice how it does not lift, or move or drift. It stays firm on the bridge. Some folks hands just won't do this at all. If your hand won't it's ok. I just want to see if it might work.

About your picks. Nice thick ones! I used to use CLAYTON picks as they were easy to carve/shape with a pocket knife. The only pick with a point is the small jazz one but they are so small that they get lost in my hand, but that's just me. If you can sharpen you clayton to a fine point, that would be the way to go. Otherwise, try using the jazz for these missions. IT's a bit small for my hand, but some folks find them to be plenty big.

This is a good improvement. If this is a mission, I'd badget it up.

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 23 2020, 01:25 PM) *
Hi,

What do you think of my picking hand?
I stared moving my thumb more, but am I moving the wrist too much?
At least I am sure I move my wrist as I cross strings.

And here are some of my picks.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 23 2020, 08:35 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 23 2020, 06:45 PM) *
Which mission is this btw? It's well played! You are getting the hang of it!! A bit of finger articulation and a bit of wrist. That is the idea wink.gif Keep your hand as loose as you can get it. Hand tension is death for picking. One thing I notice, and some people just can do this, which is ok. But it's worth a try. Your palm mute is moving with your hand. If possible, (and it's ok if this is something your hand just won't do) try to keep your pam mute planted and not moving. When you use wrist motion, when anyone uses wrist motion, the instinct is to move the entire hand. Watch my video about finger articulation again and watch my palm mute. Notice how it does not lift, or move or drift. It stays firm on the bridge. Some folks hands just won't do this at all. If your hand won't it's ok. I just want to see if it might work.

About your picks. Nice thick ones! I used to use CLAYTON picks as they were easy to carve/shape with a pocket knife. The only pick with a point is the small jazz one but they are so small that they get lost in my hand, but that's just me. If you can sharpen you clayton to a fine point, that would be the way to go. Otherwise, try using the jazz for these missions. IT's a bit small for my hand, but some folks find them to be plenty big.

This is a good improvement. If this is a mission, I'd badget it up.

Onward!!
Sarge

It's LESSON #35 - Developing Licks from Patterns and Scales
But the the first part, I didn't do the second part where I need to apply it to A scale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2020, 03:43 AM
Can you do a quick vid on the second part?I think you are ready for what's next!!

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 23 2020, 03:35 PM) *
It's LESSON #35 - Developing Licks from Patterns and Scales
But the the first part, I didn't do the second part where I need to apply it to A scale.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 24 2020, 05:48 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 24 2020, 02:43 AM) *
Can you do a quick vid on the second part?I think you are ready for what's next!!

Take a look at my pick I did it by using this tool, I am not sure how it's called in English.

Take a look at Video 1

Take a look at Video 2.
I think it's pretty much the same, except here I try to move my hand less.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Nov 24 2020, 09:11 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2020, 01:35 AM
NICE!! This is well played. Just for reference. try to name your video by Mission and sections. E.g. MISSION 24C which would be Mission 24 part C. That way I can tell where each one fits. You are playing very good on these videos. I think your hand is getting the idea!! Well done.

As for your pick, it's not sharp enough. Here is a MATHIAS GUITARS "Impaler" pick. It comes stock with a great point. Try to shape the clayton like this. It will open up a new world for your picking.
Attached Image

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 24 2020, 12:48 PM) *
Take a look at my pick I did it by using this tool, I am not sure how it's called in English.

Take a look at Video 1

Take a look at Video 2.
I think it's pretty much the same, except here I try to move my hand less.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 25 2020, 08:03 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 25 2020, 12:35 AM) *
NICE!! This is well played. Just for reference. try to name your video by Mission and sections. E.g. MISSION 24C which would be Mission 24 part C. That way I can tell where each one fits. You are playing very good on these videos. I think your hand is getting the idea!! Well done.

As for your pick, it's not sharp enough. Here is a MATHIAS GUITARS "Impaler" pick. It comes stock with a great point. Try to shape the clayton like this. It will open up a new world for your picking.
Attached Image

Sorry for not writing the missions name, it was still LESSON #35 - Developing Licks from Patterns and Scales the second part where we apply to A minor scale.

I am still working on sharping my picks.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Nov 25 2020, 08:34 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2020, 02:44 AM
Thats a better point soldier!!! Your work on these past vids has shown very good improvement. You are putting it all together and it's not easy. Completely re learning to pick is a huge deal. Your synch is better, your picking is better, your playing is better, your technique is better. Each one of these vids proves it. You are ready for what lies ahead Soldier. It does get a bit crazy but don't let it throw you off. Each mission will build on the skills you have built. Also with a pointier pick they should be a bit easier. smile.gif Pointy picks rule!

Always try to keep your hands as loose as you can. Always try to keep your palm stuck to the bridge during a mute. Keep it up!!

You just ...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 25 2020, 03:03 AM) *
Sorry for not writing the missions name, it was still LESSON #35 - Developing Licks from Patterns and Scales the second part where we apply to A minor scale.

I am still working on sharping my picks.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 27 2020, 08:18 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 27 2020, 01:44 AM) *
Thats a better point soldier!!! Your work on these past vids has shown very good improvement. You are putting it all together and it's not easy. Completely re learning to pick is a huge deal. Your synch is better, your picking is better, your playing is better, your technique is better. Each one of these vids proves it. You are ready for what lies ahead Soldier. It does get a bit crazy but don't let it throw you off. Each mission will build on the skills you have built. Also with a pointier pick they should be a bit easier. smile.gif Pointy picks rule!

Always try to keep your hands as loose as you can. Always try to keep your palm stuck to the bridge during a mute. Keep it up!!

You just ...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

Thank you for your kind words.

I also had to re-learn strict alternate picking since I was doing economy picking for years.

This is an older video of me doing economy picking, the lesson wasn't graded too well, I think I have improved from then.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry767141

I had to start picking with strict alternate picking and it was very hard at the beginning I had to play very slow, 40BPM, just to get used to it, since I unconsciously did economy picking.

Now I can do economy picking and strict alternate picking at the same speed.

Have you listened to my Neoclassical Etude?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Vivaldi_RV._199_Allergro_I.gp ( 11.42K ) Number of downloads: 371
Attached File  Victor___Vivaldi_RV199_Allegro.mp3 ( 579.18K ) Number of downloads: 371

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2020, 09:44 PM
Very cool vivaldi piece!!! ECON is very important for string traverse. I use econ when ascending or descending strings typically. However, when doing a two string loop lick I'll use strict alternate picking. It just depends on which is more efficient. So one does needs both. Your improving quickly keep it up!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 27 2020, 03:18 PM) *
Thank you for your kind words.

I also had to re-learn strict alternate picking since I was doing economy picking for years.

This is an older video of me doing economy picking, the lesson wasn't graded too well, I think I have improved from then.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry767141

I had to start picking with strict alternate picking and it was very hard at the beginning I had to play very slow, 40BPM, just to get used to it, since I unconsciously did economy picking.

Now I can do economy picking and strict alternate picking at the same speed.

Have you listened to my Neoclassical Etude?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 2 2020, 09:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 28 2020, 08:44 PM) *
Very cool vivaldi piece!!! ECON is very important for string traverse. I use econ when ascending or descending strings typically. However, when doing a two string loop lick I'll use strict alternate picking. It just depends on which is more efficient. So one does needs both. Your improving quickly keep it up!!

Sarge

I also made a Video playing Vivaldi and I plan to do more videos of this kind of neoclassical etudes.
Tell me what do you think of my playing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2020, 11:29 PM
Very nice! At slower speeds like this try to use a bit more thumb articulation. It's a small thing, but worth trying!

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 2 2020, 04:50 PM) *
I also made a Video playing Vivaldi and I plan to do more videos of this kind of neoclassical etudes.
Tell me what do you think of my playing?

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:47 PM