Breaking The Rules
Ben Higgins
Jul 22 2015, 04:00 PM
Instructor
I was reading these 5 guitarist tips by Phil Collen, http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/def...itarists-625120

I really liked #2: Listen to what inspires you. Not because of the subject of listening to particular music but because of his message about going for what you like. I thoroughly agree with that. Life is finite. Gather more of what you like and use it. The other point he makes is about how other guitarists may 'guilt you' into feeling like you should listen to loads of different stuff. There is no 'should' when it comes to your guitar playing.

Be defiant. As Lord Schwarzenegger would say, break the rules. Be you. Explore the aspects of music you want to because you enjoy them. See where they take you and don't be afraid to go against the grain.

Breaking the rules is hard to do because there's always that little voice in your head that's going "What if it doesn't work and I've wasted all that time?".

We often want proof that something is going to pay off so we won't take a risk on trying something that we haven't seen or heard yet.

Attached Image

Most of the best guitar players out there have, at some stage of their earlier development, had to push those boundaries and take that leap of faith because it's their uniqueness that led to their discovery. Imagine if Vai, Satch, Yngwie et al had all been too afraid to explore their own guitar voice and instead stuck to the tried and tested licks of the guitarists that came before them?

It takes a kind of stubborn will to to go down a path that hasn't been walked before. It actually takes bravery, I think, because it could potentially lead to failure and failure is something that human beings will go out of their way to avoid.

So, in order to develop on the guitar I think we should replace the question "How hard are you prepared to work?" with "How many times are you prepared to fail?". If the answer is "As many times as it takes" then you know you're thinking the right thing. It's a process of trying, coming up short, trying again, coming up short again, trying once more, make progress. Repeat that cycle for every single aspect of your life... for the rest of your life.

Sounds simple but it's anything but. Who's honestly willing...no, who's honestly keen to fail? Surely those who are most keen to take steps and missteps are those who will progress further, faster. But it's not easy. We've got to be willing to be different. To reject surety and guarantees. To step out of the warm embrace of certainty. We've got to be willing to endure whilst others tell you that you're doing it wrong. Sometimes, it may be wrong but we had to test it for ourselves. Other times, it won't be wrong, it'll be right. And it'll be because you took that risk. That step away from certainty and took a chance on your own creativity.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 23 2015, 09:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice one Ben smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:58 PM