4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Custom Diy Pedals, Gab "signature" Overdrive & Audio Experiments
Todd Simpson
May 7 2016, 10:29 PM
GMC:er
I can't wait to see the modular rack versions of these. Could be HUGE!! Sorta like the lunch box racks of outboard gear that got mega big recently. Folks still love analogue sounds, and being able to control it with MIDI would be amazing. You could put the entire rack in the fx loop of an amp or an ELEVEN RACK and with one stomp on your midi board, change the amp/eleven rack to a new patch and change which fx in the euro rack are on or off. That would be killer. Adds lots of flexibility to digital systems and hopefully some analogue warmth!! smile.gif

That's what I use my tube myasnikov preamp for in the loop of my eleven rack. I do wish I had a delay I could turn on/off in the fx loop as well with one foot switch!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 9 2016, 03:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 7 2016, 05:29 PM) *
I can't wait to see the modular rack versions of these. Could be HUGE!! Sorta like the lunch box racks of outboard gear that got mega big recently. Folks still love analogue sounds, and being able to control it with MIDI would be amazing. You could put the entire rack in the fx loop of an amp or an ELEVEN RACK and with one stomp on your midi board, change the amp/eleven rack to a new patch and change which fx in the euro rack are on or off. That would be killer. Adds lots of flexibility to digital systems and hopefully some analogue warmth!! smile.gif

That's what I use my tube myasnikov preamp for in the loop of my eleven rack. I do wish I had a delay I could turn on/off in the fx loop as well with one foot switch!

Todd

Oh, I hadn't even thought about the ability to switch a preset on a modeler while also controlling the analog effects too. You're right, that would be really useful. Do you have more info on the lucnhbox racks? I've never seen those before. I ordered some parts to start prototyping the midi switching, shouldn't be hard will just take some time. Another module I had planned (aside from an FX unit) was just an fx loop. You could have as many modular splitters, fx loops, etc... however you wanted to route it. I really appreciate your interest and I love the feedback. My wife got me a drill press and powdercoating gun for my birthday, really excited to put them to use.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: May 9 2016, 07:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2016, 10:14 PM
The lunchbox series or 500 series of rack mount fx has gotten HUGE in live and post production. Here is some more info from RADIAL who make some killer stuff

http://www.radialeng.com/powerhouse.php

Here is a picture of a full rack of 500 modules in a rack with standard rack modules. the 500/lunchbox series are vertical and smaller. Below the eventide unit on top. See them?

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 9 2016, 10:14 AM) *
Oh, I hadn't even thought about the ability to switch a preset on a modeler while also controlling the analog effects too. You're right, that would be really useful. Do you have more info on the lucnhbox racks? I've never seen those before. I ordered some parts to start prototyping the midi switching, shouldn't be hard will just take some time. Another module I had planned (aside from an FX unit) was just an fx loop. You could have as many modular splitters, fx loops, etc... however you wanted to route it. I really appreciate your interest and I love the feedback. My wife got me a drill press and powdercoating gun for my birthday, really excited to put them to use.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2016, 01:56 AM
Instructor
Wou yoncopin!! I can't believe this. It's so awesome! It looks killer!! Words are not enough to explain how happy I feel with this mate, thanks a lot for your friendship and for this beautiful pedal that you've built for me... I'm now feeling so moved. smile.gif

I'll write to talk about the shipping and now I'm sharing it at my instagram. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 11 2016, 04:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
biggrin.gif You've been a great friend and mentor. Consider it a thank you from me and the rest of the GMCers who you invest your time in to bring the joy of playing guitar. We still have a lot of work to do on that front wink.gif I can't wait for you to see it in person.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 10 2016, 08:56 PM) *
Wou yoncopin!! I can't believe this. It's so awesome! It looks killer!! Words are not enough to explain how happy I feel with this mate, thanks a lot for your friendship and for this beautiful pedal that you've built for me... I'm now feeling so moved. smile.gif

I'll write to talk about the shipping and now I'm sharing it at my instagram. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 11 2016, 09:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 10 2016, 05:14 PM) *
The lunchbox series or 500 series of rack mount fx has gotten HUGE in live and post production. Here is some more info from RADIAL who make some killer stuff

http://www.radialeng.com/powerhouse.php

Here is a picture of a full rack of 500 modules in a rack with standard rack modules. the 500/lunchbox series are vertical and smaller. Below the eventide unit on top. See them?

Attached Image

Yes I did some reading up on this, thanks. I've got the bits on the way, when I get the design fleshed out you'll have to give me some feedback. We can prototype it up then smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2016, 07:04 PM
You may be able to use the existing "lunch box" format even? It's an open standard and is well laid out in terms of documenation. The part that I've enver seen is a lunch box with midi control. smile.gif

QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 11 2016, 04:37 PM) *
Yes I did some reading up on this, thanks. I've got the bits on the way, when I get the design fleshed out you'll have to give me some feedback. We can prototype it up then smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
May 12 2016, 08:18 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 4 2016, 11:33 AM) *
I had to set everything up, but this is a pretty good demo of how it sounds.

That sounds great, nice work! Kenny Wayne Sheperd uses stacked overdrive pedals, I'll bet he'd like this. Aside from putting Gabe's name on it, don't you need a name for the pedal?

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 13 2016, 08:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 12 2016, 02:04 PM) *
You may be able to use the existing "lunch box" format even? It's an open standard and is well laid out in terms of documenation. The part that I've enver seen is a lunch box with midi control. smile.gif

Current plan:

The control module would have a display so you could see which footswitches were assigned to which "pedal" module. Maybe some other status info and/or a simple button based user interface. This control module is where the power supply and guitar audio would connect. You could also connect a MIDI controller via the USB or the MIDI IN. The USB would also provide PC connectivity for making parameter changes on the modules, or whatever... The control unit is optional and only for configuration, user interface and MIDI switching.

Foot controllers would send a MIDI note on/off to toggle each effect. Effect modules would have configurable note and channel assignments.

Effects modules would be daisy chained with an in and out ribbon cable on the rear of the module. This would provide a data pathway for the MIDI triggers and other data, power and ground. Patch cables on the front panels would define the audio signal path. The module can be triggered with the front panel toggle switch if no control unit is used. Multi-color status LED could show if module was enabled in foot controller patch, update status, etc...

Attached Image

Do you have a 500 series rack currently, if so, which one? You haven't seen MIDI because it isn't a part of the original spec. About all I can do with that design is use the power supply and the rear XLR In/Outs for audio routing (you could use cables to chain the modules)

I found the Radial Workhorse and their updated spec It has a few features to make it possible but I'm not sure it's really worth it, I'll explain and you can give me your feedback. Their Bus Feed switch allows you to chain the effects without actual cabling, so they would cascade into one another, which is handy but not essential. The main essential feature is the OmniPort for each module on the rear panel. It's essentially a two pin connector which you can use however you want. I don't think many people probably have this specific Radial unit, it's really expensive and this is primarily for myself, so I don't think this is gonna work unless you see something I don't.

This seems a lot more accessible to me, 3U Eurorack brackets

This post has been edited by yoncopin: May 13 2016, 08:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 14 2016, 03:57 AM
Well there goes that idea smile.gif Just a thought. Come to find out, not a great one! I guess you could just design your own style of lunchbox rack and make your own spec? If it gets big of course, you could license out to the vendors who make lunch box racks now as I'm sure they would like to have midi switching!

I don't own a 500 rack, I've worked with them and that's where I sorta got the idea since they provide a standardized way to use analaogue gear and power it and keep it in a single four space rack.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 13 2016, 03:04 PM) *
Current plan:

The control module would have a display so you could see which footswitches were assigned to which "pedal" module. Maybe some other status info and/or a simple button based user interface. This control module is where the power supply and guitar audio would connect. You could also connect a MIDI controller via the USB or the MIDI IN. The USB would also provide PC connectivity for making parameter changes on the modules, or whatever... The control unit is optional and only for configuration, user interface and MIDI switching.

Foot controllers would send a MIDI note on/off to toggle each effect. Effect modules would have configurable note and channel assignments.

Effects modules would be daisy chained with an in and out ribbon cable on the rear of the module. This would provide a data pathway for the MIDI triggers and other data, power and ground. Patch cables on the front panels would define the audio signal path. The module can be triggered with the front panel toggle switch if no control unit is used. Multi-color status LED could show if module was enabled in foot controller patch, update status, etc...

Attached Image

Do you have a 500 series rack currently, if so, which one? You haven't seen MIDI because it isn't a part of the original spec. About all I can do with that design is use the power supply and the rear XLR In/Outs for audio routing (you could use cables to chain the modules)

I found the Radial Workhorse and their updated spec It has a few features to make it possible but I'm not sure it's really worth it, I'll explain and you can give me your feedback. Their Bus Feed switch allows you to chain the effects without actual cabling, so they would cascade into one another, which is handy but not essential. The main essential feature is the OmniPort for each module on the rear panel. It's essentially a two pin connector which you can use however you want. I don't think many people probably have this specific Radial unit, it's really expensive and this is primarily for myself, so I don't think this is gonna work unless you see something I don't.

This seems a lot more accessible to me, 3U Eurorack brackets

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2016, 01:30 AM
Instructor
It's cool to see how this project is taking a very interesting direction. It can be killer to have stacked pedals in this way. I would have this in my studio for recording and producing... maybe in the future.

By now I'm very anxious to receive my new overdrive which is not travelling to my home! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 13 2016, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Between this thread, the fact that I found out the TigerSharc processors are discontinued which means that my AXE FX Ultra will be a doorstop if I have any serious problems, and the scare I just had when the backup battery on the motherboard of my AXE FX Ultra just died and made everything go wibbly.

I am going to re tube my little 5W Blackheart Lil Giant and start buying the Bitmo kits to mod it. Then I'll look into making some pedals so at least I'll have a back up rig. I did a 4 yr apprenticeship in Electronic Engineering 20 or so years ago and never put those skills and my musical side together. I guess now is the time!!!

Yoncopin, I'm sure I'll be asking some questions along the way!!!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 13 2016, 04:05 PM
Your AXE FX will be a great processor until the end of time IMHO smile.gif It's just a killer unit that sounds great now and will always. It sounds like a bunch of great guitar amps and great pedals, shoved in to one handy box. So fret not smile.gif

I was sorry to hear about Tigersharc going away as it also means something bad for UA who make those killer audio interfaces with Tigersharc chips for accellerating plugins.

However, I knew this would eventually happen. As I often moaned in various threads, the power of the average cpu (quad core, 6 core, 8 core, etc.) is now so substantial that off board processing is nearly a mute point. Thus the sales of off board processors has declined steadily.

The good news is, there are an abundance of chip options available, including mobile chips like the A9 that could power these devices. I hope that they skip all that and just stare making more plugins. Everything done in hardware, can be done in software after all. That's how the hardware is developed. It's then burned on to a chip.

Software was going to win this one either way but still I'm sad to see Tigersharc go away.

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 13 2016, 08:58 AM) *
Between this thread, the fact that I found out the TigerSharc processors are discontinued which means that my AXE FX Ultra will be a doorstop if I have any serious problems, and the scare I just had when the backup battery on the motherboard of my AXE FX Ultra just died and made everything go wibbly.

I am going to re tube my little 5W Blackheart Lil Giant and start buying the Bitmo kits to mod it. Then I'll look into making some pedals so at least I'll have a back up rig. I did a 4 yr apprenticeship in Electronic Engineering 20 or so years ago and never put those skills and my musical side together. I guess now is the time!!!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 13 2016, 04:34 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Relax everybody smile.gif.

First, while the AxeFXII may eventually be affected by this, the AX8 uses sharc, not tigersharc, and would not be affected, so there are options if you felt the need to replace an Ultra. Second, the end of life announcement for tigersharc is just that: an announcement. They will still be available for years to come so there won't be any immediate impact on the AxeFX II. Cliff has said he could buy a 20 year supply of tigersharcs if he wanted. By time this does become an issue, the AxeFXIII will probably be out and use a different processor. Third, the Ultras does not use a tigersharc,so if you're worried about a repair that would require replacing the processor, your fears are unfounded, there are no plans to retire the sharc line. Fourth, AFAIK UA does not use tigersharc, they use sharc.

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Jun 13 2016, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2016, 06:06 PM
Instructor
I have really sad news about the main topic of this thread. Yoncopin has sent the pedal to my home around 25 days ago and the pedal isn't here yet. I've asked the post office here and they don't have news about it.

I hope that the pedal finally arrives here but I've been reading at forums here and talking with friends and it seems to be something that uses to happen in Argentina... mad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 14 2016, 12:29 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jun 13 2016, 03:34 PM) *
Relax everybody smile.gif.

First, while the AxeFXII may eventually be affected by this, the AX8 uses sharc, not tigersharc, and would not be affected, so there are options if you felt the need to replace an Ultra. Second, the end of life announcement for tigersharc is just that: an announcement. They will still be available for years to come so there won't be any immediate impact on the AxeFX II. Cliff has said he could buy a 20 year supply of tigersharcs if he wanted. By time this does become an issue, the AxeFXIII will probably be out and use a different processor. Third, the Ultras does not use a tigersharc,so if you're worried about a repair that would require replacing the processor, your fears are unfounded, there are no plans to retire the sharc line. Fourth, AFAIK UA does not use tigersharc, they use sharc.

I bought the Ultra before I was married, spending that sort of money all in one go is a different story now!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 14 2016, 01:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 13 2016, 08:58 AM) *

I'd love to have someone to talk to about this, fire away! It's been a great experience so far. The money I've invested in parts vs commercial gear has been rewarding not just for the final product, but also the knowledge gained along the way. I've made a lot of progress on the analog-multiFX mentioned above. I'll have a demo video shortly, but the code and a prototype are working almost perfectly. I'm going to have PCBs manufactured soon and then start constructing the rack itself.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 13 2016, 01:06 PM) *
I have really sad news about the main topic of this thread. Yoncopin has sent the pedal to my home around 25 days ago and the pedal isn't here yet. I've asked the post office here and they don't have news about it.

I hope that the pedal finally arrives here but I've been reading at forums here and talking with friends and it seems to be something that uses to happen in Argentina... mad.gif sad.gif

I still have some faith that it's going to show up there or back on my doorstep. I really hope so... a lot of care went into that pedal and I really wanted you to have it. I feel like it's my fault, maybe I should've handled shipping differently, but I've never shipped to Argentina before sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 14 2016, 01:24 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 14 2016, 11:29 AM) *
I bought the Ultra before I was married, spending that sort of money all in one go is a different story now!

The sharc chip in your ultra was in production before you were married and is still in production. Nothing has changed. You and Todd have the sharc confused with the tigersharc.

Anyway, let's all hope Gabe's pedal shows up.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2016, 01:58 PM
Instructor
My fingers are crossed. I have done a post at my facebook and had many repplies saying that sometimes it takes 50 days to arrive... by the way there is a girl who says that works at the post office who will try to help.

I want the pedal too much! sad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 14 2016, 02:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Fingers and toes crossed for you buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:39 AM