2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sweep Pick And Tap Style Lick, #29 Sweep Picking Arpeggio With Tapping "ish"
Todd Simpson
May 26 2018, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Quick Licks #29 Sweep Picking Arpeggio With Tapping "ish"
INTRO:
The tapped ending on a swept arpeggio has become a very popular technique. Some folks, have a bit of trouble with this particular technique so I created a drill that sounds like it's got tapping at the end but actually does not and uses your pinky power instead of tapping, to get the same type of results.

Play this one note at a time. It's better to play it clean than to try to overplay and end up with something sloppy. It does require you pinky power to do a hammer on / pull off on the high E and there is a good bit of a stretch as well. Hopefully, you guys have been doing your "Finger Yoga" on a regular basis and have flexible hands!

This drill is great for working in to Sweep Picking and Sweep/Pick Tap licks. You can eventually just use your first finger to tap the high E final note. But for now, Let's use the pinky.

*Make sure to watch the vid, don't skip it and just look at the tab, the tab is just where to put your fingers, not the lesson.

*NOTE: Keep your mute so that you don't get string noise. These types of licks are prone to string noise.
*Here is Guitar Pro Tab for Quick Licks 29.
Attached Image

Attached File  29.gp5 ( 1.68K ) Number of downloads: 110

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
I've put this lick in G Minor so that it fits with the GABE FUNK COLLAB backing. Give it a go! Here is the backing track.Attached File  Jazz_Funk_Backing_Track__Gm_.mp3 ( 16.51MB ) Number of downloads: 149

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here With this type of lick, especially showing it "at speed", I often get asked "How long will it take me to play it just that fast like you did?". Try this lick every day that you can. For about 10 minutes. Try with a metronome. Push it to the edge of your ability. Go past the edge. Let it fall apart. Then don't play it at all til the next practice. 10 minutes again, to the edge and just past it. Every day your brain will work on this lick as you sleep, and as you go about your day. In what seems like no time at, once you start seeing gains, you will be able to play it at ANY SPEED YOU LIKE! smile.gif

11 RACK PATCH (Yngwie style tone)*Created an Yngwie "ish" style tone patch for the 11 rack which is what I'm using in this video. If you have an 11, you are in luck! smile.gif If not, grab one, they cost about as much as a boutique overdrive these days.
Attached File  Yngwie_Tone.tfx.zip ( 1.31K ) Number of downloads: 302
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 26 2018, 09:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 26 2018, 09:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm on it, then I'll do another one I missed wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2018, 06:58 PM
Don't feel that you have to play this crazy fast, it works just fine as a solo lick played one note at a time. It's a flashy lick, and has that tapped arp sounding that's trending. Once you get it down, if you wanna shred it, just add it in a few passes each time you have a practice session and you'll doing the yngwie version in no time!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 26 2018, 04:40 PM) *
I'm on it, then I'll do another one I missed wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 27 2018, 09:32 PM
Struggling to sweep rather than pick. Gonna take some time wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2018, 04:13 AM
I hear ya Watch my picking hand in the vid. There is a raking motion that is required to get that result. But it won't work until your left hand is moving so fast that you need the rake motion to keep up with your string traverse. Until then, pick one note at a time but don't forget to pick using down strokes toward the high E and up strokes when heading toward the low e smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 27 2018, 04:32 PM) *
Struggling to sweep rather than pick. Gonna take some time wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2018, 07:30 PM
Thanks Todd. Sweeping is a pretty advanced technique though wink.gif

I've found a video to help me a bit. I've inviting him over too GMC, if you watch to the end, you'll see why wink.gif He seems sincere in his request wink.gif

https://youtu.be/Wa30fWRLOUE

Obviously this isn't going to level up but if you can advise please, that would be great. Thank you.
The third attempt is the better of the three.

https://youtu.be/ppCAgfI8p4g

UPDATE 29th May:

More critique please. Struggling to stop pick motion

https://youtu.be/meAVj-DBQzs

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 29 2018, 09:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2018, 09:21 PM
Here is a close up of my right hand technique. This is "At Speed" but goes with what I'm talking about below. One thing I just noticed is that I"m using my right hand, second finger as a mute for the High E after the pull off so that I can focus the rest of my hand/hands on muting the other bits. This is hardly a pure mute technique, but if it works for you as well, feel free to give it a whirl smile.gif

You are very close!!! I can hear a bit of double note happening when you hit the B string on your way down. One tough bit is lifting from the string you just hit while fretting on the next string down. Especially if you are using a barred chord approach on the left hand which is what I'm using as well. It's important to keep a solid mute with the picking hand even though you may only be able to mute with parts of your pinky finger flattened out. The left hand comes in to play for muting as well as you may have to mute using the left by picking up from where you just fretted as you hit the next string.

You can use a single pick strike leading in to the lick on the low string or just hammer on with the left hand to allow your hand to focus on the "RAKE" motion. Your descending rake looks good, it's the ascending rake that seems like you may be over picking it just a pinch. Think of it as a "Strum" more than a Pick Strike when doing the ascending bit. That may help your hand start the raking motion. The hand will want to revert back to what it knows which is single picking a scale pattern on the ascent. Especially when sweeping is still new to the hand, this is entirely normal.

Burning the up/down rake technique in to the brain/hand takes a bit doing. Skip the left hand entirely and just rake from A string to high E and back down to A string. just leave the left hand as a string mute. not fretting, just holding above the strings enough to mute them. In the vid I do a demo of this. Just a quick up down rake. Once you get used to it, slow it down a bit and keep the hand doing that same thing. Here is a vid demo of just doing the rake, without notes.

When I do a slower version of the lick at the head of the vid, I play it as a slow, note by note, arp lick, not really a sweep. It works fine as a slow lick thats picked just like a scale would be. However, that's a different picking approach than the first "Yngwie Style" fast version. The slow version is just fine though for the purposes of QUICK LICKS. If you wanna try the yngwie/rake version, I'm all up for helping you towards it!

Hope this helps, let me know!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 28 2018, 02:30 PM) *
Thanks Todd. Sweeping is a pretty advanced technique though wink.gif

I've found a video to help me a bit. I've inviting him over too GMC, if you watch to the end, you'll see why wink.gif He seems sincere in his request wink.gif

https://youtu.be/Wa30fWRLOUE

Obviously this isn't going to level up but if you can advise please, that would be great. Thank you.
The third attempt is the better of the three.

https://youtu.be/ppCAgfI8p4g

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 31 2018, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 29 2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks Todd,

I'll stick at it. Thank you for doing the video for me. I appreciate it. Do you think take 2 has any improvements over take 1? I thought it was smoother

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 29 2018, 09:59 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 31 2018, 02:59 AM
Yup, 2 was a bit smoother! You are getting better with each take. Keep at it!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 29 2018, 04:56 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I'll stick at it. Thank you for doing the video for me. I appreciate it. Do you think take 2 has any improvements over take 1? I thought it was smoother

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 31 2018, 09:18 PM
Another attempt, one thing I've noticed when doing it at this speed, your hand kinda bounces over the string immediately after hitting it, your muscles seem to overcompensate by pulling you hand back a little bit to prevent it from hitting the next string (all subconsciously I think), this makes it look like you are intentionally picking but you're not. If I just do the muted strum at the same speed it's fine but the subconscious seems to take over a little here.

I think if my left hand could keep up it would be more of a sweep with my right hand.

https://youtu.be/otmt5zP0dEM

Cheers for any advice Todd wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2018, 10:42 PM
Instructor
That Sweep lick is a bomb Todd! And your playing in the video is also amazing!!

Great to see Phil working on his shredding too. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 1 2018, 07:03 PM
Phil, I think that take is ready for a full review and badge to be honest. You are playing the lick well, you can play it clean and that's the whole point of all this. You don't have to shred it for it to sound spiff. Let me know if you want me to give that one that full review and badge as I think it's more than ready! It's the slow version of the lick, but it's exactly how I'm playing the slow version in the vid. It's natural for your picking hand to behave that way at that speed.

As you continue to practice this lick, and bump the metronome bit by bit. You'll notice that your picking hand starts to do the sweep motion, just to keep up with your fretting hand. It's almost instinct. Your hand will just lighten and rake as it will have to in order to keep up. This comes with time. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent just to be able to rake / sweep at speed as demoed by the first lick in this vid. It did not come easy for me. It took me way longer than alternate picking at speed did that is for sure. It just seemed harder for my hand and I had to work quite some time to get it to happen. I"ll be honest I still have to work on it. If I don't, it goes away.

You've got this lick down, and you are playing it well. Add it to your daily routine as a warmup / cool down. Try to bump the metronome just a bit at the end of each practice session. Play a bit beyond your ability and let it fall apart. This is just another way of pushing your hand towards it's goal. At the edge of your ability is where gains often happen. Don't play every take that way, just a few at the end. Then dont play it agian till the next day. Try to play it and forget about how long you've been at it. Just make it part of your routine. Before you know it, you'll be ripping through it!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 31 2018, 04:18 PM) *
Another attempt, one thing I've noticed when doing it at this speed, your hand kinda bounces over the string immediately after hitting it, your muscles seem to overcompensate by pulling you hand back a little bit to prevent it from hitting the next string (all subconsciously I think), this makes it look like you are intentionally picking but you're not. If I just do the muted strum at the same speed it's fine but the subconscious seems to take over a little here.

I think if my left hand could keep up it would be more of a sweep with my right hand.

Thanks!! smile.gif I wanted to do a lick that sounded like it was being tapped at the end, but was in fact just pinky power!! smile.gif PHIL is doing great!! He's killing it on the QUICK LICKS!!

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 31 2018, 05:42 PM) *
That Sweep lick is a bomb Todd! And your playing in the video is also amazing!!

Great to see Phil working on his shredding too. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 1 2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the advice Todd,

I'm happy if you're happy to review and award mate. I'm away this weekend so wouldn't have been able to do another take. I will keep practising it for 5 minutes a day though.

Haven't had chance to work on a missed lick this week but will slowly work through them wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2018, 01:19 AM
CONGRATS!! You have clearly put in the work on this one. This lick works fast or slow so it doesn't have to be played at Yngwie speed smile.gif The speed you are playing it at works well for the FUNK backing (keep the funk backing handy to play this against real music). You have solid right and left hand technique going here. Your picking technique is perfect for the speed you are playing this at. You will notice it smooth out and get more "sweepy" as your precision/speed increases on your fretting hand. Eventually you will just gently run the pick across the strings up and down just to keep up with you flying fingers!! Keep at this one and do it a bit every day. Before you know it, you will be going FULL TILT and then be able to apply that to any SWEEP/ARP that you want!

You've got this one. It's time to grab another and GIVE IT HELL!! In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Well played! I look forward to your next one!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 31 2018, 04:18 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 4 2018, 08:00 PM
Thanks Todd,

I just watched your playthrough vid again and noticed that even you are kinda picking when you play it slow. Made me feel better wink.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2018, 04:34 AM
Yup smile.gif When played slow, it works fine when picked in a normal way. It's only when sped up that it requires the sweepy type picking. I play it slow the same way you do. So yeah, you nailed the slow version!!! Keep on it and you'll get the sweepy version too! As I mentioned in post 12 above, we are playing it the same way done slow so it was ready for review!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=759345

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 4 2018, 03:00 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I just watched your playthrough vid again and noticed that even you are kinda picking when you play it slow. Made me feel better wink.gif

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 6 2018, 04:36 AM

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Jun 19 2018, 09:51 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2018, 06:02 AM
Egad! I posted this in your lick previous lick page but it should be on this page.
NICE!!!! Very well done on this. This is NOT an easy lick at all and you do it quite well. This is the kind of lick that can work slow or fast, so there is no need to "shed" it, it can work just as well played one note at a time Add this as a warm up for practice sessions when you plan on doing sweep/arpeggio work. It's a great way to warm up for sweeping work.

You've got a very good grasp on the fundamentals of what is going on in this lick and I think you will be able to play it in a very "yngwie" sort of way if you want to with just a bit more practice and repetition. Repetition is really they key to everything as far as guitar goes. The most important thing is to find a way to repeat licks/drills without them becoming tedious. Everyone has a different level tedium that they can endure, so it's critical to find a way to keep things as fun and enjoyable as possible so as to be able to want to do things over and over so that one can improve along the way! As you go, you'll find out how much/little repetition you need and can tolerate.

As for this one, you KAAAARUUSSSSHHEED IT!!!! and....
LEVELED UP!!!!!!*Also you remain our TOP DAWG in Quick Licks and I've never needed a 29 QL badge before today. You are the first one!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (George Hlio @ Jun 19 2018, 04:51 PM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 25 2018, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Also from scratch learning the lick, like #28.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 09:34 PM
Folks!!! This lick can be done!! And be done at speed!!! Behold as Ben starts from ground zero, gets an handle on the lick, and plays it at speed in about 2 minutes flat. Granted, Ben is an amazing player with incredible ability. smile.gif So he does have an edge. But it does go to show that you can sit down, and work out these licks in just a few minutes of focused work and gain something for your back of tricks!!!

BEN: Well done!!! Took me way longer than this to play the lick for the Teacher Vid. It was honestly quite hard for me to get this thing clean. It's a fun lick though! Well worth learning. Nicely done!!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 25 2018, 03:52 PM) *
Also from scratch learning the lick, like #28.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 08:03 PM