2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Best Amp Under $500
rokchik
Jul 14 2007, 08:38 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 06:39 PM) *
The difference is that the POD has modelling.

An essential part of any guitar sound is the character the amp gives to the sound which is why we talk about them so much. Marshals sound different to Voxes ....

The POD does the "Sound like a Marshal AMP" or "Sound Like a VOC amp" bit for you with its amp modelling. IF you then feed it threough another amp, you'll get "Sounds like a Marshall fed through a VOX" which will likely be a mess.

Regarding effects such as CHorus reverb distortion etc - yes feed them through the clean channel of an AMP abd you benefit from the AMPS sound as well. In the case of the POS it is too much of a good thing.

That is why I suggested a PA or Keyboard AMP -= they are designed to faithfully reproduce, not to add character.

Vox Valvetronic amps are modelling amps. So putting them with a POD would be sorta overkill I think.

I'm not familiar with the POD or how it works...but from your explanation Andrew it sounds to me like it does somewhat of the same thing as the Vox Valvetronic amps. I have the AD30VT (same as jammer91) and it has 11 amp presets and 11 preset effects. They are tube amps, maybe not in the truest sense but I find it to be an excellent amp. I'm no amp expert but it suites me fine.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Jul 14 2007, 08:44 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 14 2007, 10:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 14 2007, 03:38 PM) *
Vox Valvetronic amps are modelling amps. So putting them with a POD would be sorta overkill I think.

I'm not familiar with the POD or how it works...but from your explanation Andrew it sounds to me like it does somewhat of the same thing as the Vox Valvetronic amps. I have the AD30VT (same as jammer91) and it has 11 amp presets and 11 preset effects. They are tube amps, maybe not in the truest sense but I find it to be an excellent amp. I'm no amp expert but it suites me fine.

Yeah, sounds similar- the difference is that yours is an all in one designed to work with the modelling and sound good - as you said playing a pod through the Vox (didn;t know it did moderlling smile.gif) gives you double modelling which will probably sound bad ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Rock
Jul 15 2007, 04:04 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 12 2007, 11:19 PM) *
We're two camps here, Camp POD and Camp Tube Amp.

So far it's me and ZakkWylde in Camp Tube Amp against the rest of this community :lol

j/k smile.gif If you already got the POD you should listen to the POD experts and pay me and Zakk less attention. But if you ever want a tube amp Zakk will recommend you a Marshall and I will recommend you something else, so you'll get a couple choices. biggrin.gif

I prefer the sound of a tube amp plus pedals. I've heard the modelling effects at the guitar shop and they just don't do it for me. I have a Peavey ValveKing VK112. I put some high gain JJ preamp tubes and JJ 6L6GC power amp tubes, switched out the stock speaker with a Weber Alnico Silver Bell and presto for $600USD I have a tube amp that from everything I have heard at the shop sounds more like tube amps that are selling in the $1500 plus range. It's only a 50W combo, but it kicks ass when you crank it and sounds really,really sweet at low volumes as well. Can't beat the sound of a good tube amp IMO.

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 17 2007, 02:12 AM
What about running a Pod through the return jack of an effects loop, right into the power amp?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 17 2007, 02:41 AM
QUOTE (Avenite @ Jul 16 2007, 09:12 PM) *
What about running a Pod through the return jack of an effects loop, right into the power amp?

As I said earlier on this thread, you need to use a pod with a cledan amp such as a PA or keyboard amp - not a guitar amp of any flavour or the sound will suffer!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 17 2007, 03:03 AM
What would be a decent fairly cheap PA system then?

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 17 2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think you'll find one for under $500, unless you start scouting the garage sales haha

On the subject of cheap amps though, I bought a Peavey ValveKing 112 for $500 on the nose. It's All tube 50W rms combo amp with a single 12". The preamp tubes are three 12AX7 and the power tubes are two 6L6's. And this is canadian dollars I'm talking in, so I bet you can get it for $450.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 17 2007, 02:24 PM
QUOTE (Avenite @ Jul 16 2007, 10:03 PM) *
What would be a decent fairly cheap PA system then?

Look at keyboard amps - Behringer do a range:

http://www.behringer.com/K3000FX/index.cfm?lang=eng

That's the most powerful one but there are cheaper ones.

I haven't tried any of these, but Behringer stuff is usually good for the price. Also, a regular guitar amp played thorough a clean channel also won't give best results with the pod.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 17 2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

Is a cheap (like a Squire for for $229) PA no good?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 17 2007, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (Avenite @ Jul 17 2007, 11:55 AM) *
Thanks for your suggestions.

Is a cheap (like a Squire for for $229) PA no good?

With this kind of stuff you usually get what you pay for - auditioning is important I would say.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Rock
Jul 18 2007, 04:51 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Jul 17 2007, 08:17 AM) *
I don't think you'll find one for under $500, unless you start scouting the garage sales haha

On the subject of cheap amps though, I bought a Peavey ValveKing 112 for $500 on the nose. It's All tube 50W rms combo amp with a single 12". The preamp tubes are three 12AX7 and the power tubes are two 6L6's. And this is canadian dollars I'm talking in, so I bet you can get it for $450.

I have this same amp and it sounds great. Read my thread above for the upgrades. Well worth it! I can't believe how much better it sounds with new tubes and speaker...and yes you are correct. I purchased mine new for $430USD.

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jul 18 2007, 05:07 AM
An interesting thread, and while it's not 100% on the original topic here goes...

Just in terms of a decent amp below $500, I'd recommend something like the Roland Cube 60. I got one to replace a horrible Fender Frontman (cheap Fender = bad imho) and love it. Not too many features to confuse me as a newbie, but enough to cover the important points - good distortion/crunch, reverb, presence, and great sound.

Before I bought the Cube I picked up a Pod XT Live. To be honest, I don't think I really understood where it fit into the whole equation at the time, but I tend to buy without thinking once in a while. When I hook the Pod up to my PC for recording, it's excellent. Sound coming from my PC's speakers (fairly expensive Wharfedale home theatre speakers and a decent home theatre amplifier) is very good and the Pod does everything you could possibly ask for. Plug it into the Fender and it's awful. Amp simulation causes all sorts of strange results, making it very hard to get a good sound out of the combination.

Turning amp sim off results in an improvement but to be honest I haven't plugged the Pod back in for weeks because you just don't need it when you have a half decent amplifier.

Looking back, I might have been a lot happier if I'd not bought an amp at all and just used the Pod plus my stereo system. I doubt this would work if you didn't have a very good stereo system though, so your mileage might vary here. Headphones also work incredibly well through the Pod, so this isn't a half bad option either.

I'd totally avoid the entry-level Fender amps, and as I think I've posted elsewhere on this forum I was very disappointed in the low-end Marshall range. I've had good results from the Roland, and know two other people with them (not the same model as mine though) who are happy.

Hope something in this helps.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
misterj
Jul 26 2007, 04:53 PM
hey, i found a great tube amp for just about 500. its the peavy tone king. its got great clean and shredding distortion. it comes in a 100 watt head, a 212 combo and a 1 12 combo. i got the 100 watt head, and i love it. if your a fan of peavy high gain, youd love it. im not sure the price on the combo amps. pretty sure they are reasonable. check 'em out. personally, im a vintage amp guy, and just needed a high gain fix. this amp did it. smile.gif the only thing i would have added to the amp whould have been a third 'overdrive' channel, for all those tones b/t clean and hi-gain, but i guess i can rely on my vintage amps for that! tongue.gif good luck!

This post has been edited by misterj: Jul 26 2007, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jul 29 2007, 01:24 PM
I see several people have mentioned the Peavey Valve king so far and I just want to second that. Peavey Valve kings(rock to metal), Fender Blues Juniors(blues to rock) or Hot Rod deluxes(blues to metal with right setup), & the Crate Palomino(blues to rock) are all EXCELLENT tube combos under or around $500.

Some things to remember about tube amps however is they have a maintenance price tag. If you practice regularly and gig with it expect to purchase a backup set of tubes immediately (never gig without backup tubes) and probably once a year after that. This is because most of these little combo's use EL84 tubes which tend to have a shorter life (valve king uses 6L6) and then combine that with the "combo" which is constantly vibrating them to death and they don't last long. That said, go buy one! biggrin.gif

And to the person who said go get a tube amp and then bet a bunch of digital pedals I would recommend Analog pedals before digital ANY day. Happy hunting!

-Hardtail

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Jul 29 2007, 01:30 PM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
fire
Aug 10 2007, 07:02 PM
Hi
I personally love the ROLAND CUBE 20x.
Here's a link to a description ( it's german but the details should be read-able ):
It's only 20watt but for playing at home it's quite useful, exspecially the price of ~160euro makes this to a very wort-buying amplifier.
( But if you search something to play with your band, you should look after a huger amp with 65w+ )
I have this amp-combination at home and really like it.
I Hope I could help you.

Tobi

This post has been edited by fire: Aug 11 2007, 10:38 PM

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post
misterj
Aug 11 2007, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 29 2007, 01:24 PM) *
I see several people have mentioned the Peavey Valve king so far and I just want to second that. Peavey Valve kings(rock to metal), Fender Blues Juniors(blues to rock) or Hot Rod deluxes(blues to metal with right setup), & the Crate Palomino(blues to rock) are all EXCELLENT tube combos under or around $500.

Some things to remember about tube amps however is they have a maintenance price tag. If you practice regularly and gig with it expect to purchase a backup set of tubes immediately (never gig without backup tubes) and probably once a year after that. This is because most of these little combo's use EL84 tubes which tend to have a shorter life (valve king uses 6L6) and then combine that with the "combo" which is constantly vibrating them to death and they don't last long. That said, go buy one! biggrin.gif

And to the person who said go get a tube amp and then bet a bunch of digital pedals I would recommend Analog pedals before digital ANY day. Happy hunting!

-Hardtail

very true. maintenance is required for tubes. they arent all that expensive, though. i go thru thetubestore.com. they're pretty cheap, and you have tons of selection if you want to alter tone a little. guitar center and places like that usually only carry groovetubes, which i dont really care for. and analog pedals do rock the house!! so much warmer, and have so much character. analogman.com is a good spot for the pedals themselves, and he also does tons of mods on other pedals, like boss, ibanez etc. his tube screamer mods are great, and i have the modded boss metal zone which is awesome.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:11 PM