Longevity In Guitar Playing
zen
Jun 20 2011, 10:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
For few, it becomes a career, for most a hobby and for many others a passion for life.

But we all face a lot of issues over time that come in between sticking to this discipline and improving.

I've seen many good players give up coz 'life got in the way'. Some gave up coz they ran out of patience. And many others keep giving up and starting again and again and again. Noone's to blame them. Shit does happen. But we all know that the secret to improvement is consistency and a lot of dedication over a lot of years. And that comes at a cost and many sacrifices.

What do you do or plan to do to maintain the longevity in your guitar learning/playing ?
And how do you see yourself maturing as a musician with age? Will that maturity help you to stick to it, day after day .... till you die?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 20 2011, 10:30 AM
Instructor
'Tis a good post Zen. For me, I think a lot of stuff has to do with accepting that we're human and that like all humans do, we will get older, (hopefully) wiser and we will have got to see many sides of life and are a bit better at maintaining balance. I think accepting that we're not perfect and we can't do or learn everything enables us to let go somewhat and just follow a path that we're meant to follow. I accepted long ago that I can't do what Yngwie does and instead of being disheartened I am relieved that I am free of trying to eternally compare to somebody else's achievements.. and I am free to seek my own way of guitar playing.

Also, the realisiation that nobody can do something for you better than you can do it yourself always keeps me going. We all have the ability and the answers within ourselves so I keep reminding myself that. Also, use our other experiences in life to relate to the guitar.. we manage to get up and brush our teeth every day, wash, work etc.. if we can dedicate ourselves to that for a lifetime then we can do the same with a plank of wood and some strings wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 20 2011, 07:23 PM
Instructor
man this topic is huge!

I was talking about it with some friends recently.

Guitar is an instrument. According to Wikipedia:

"A musical instrument is a device created or adapted for the purpose of making musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can serve as a musical instrument—it is through purpose that the object becomes a musical instrument"

To make it very short, you need a goal. Wether it is to learn "In bloom" by nirvana and that'll make you happy for the rest of your life, or to create the most awesome, heartfelt, sensible piece of music you can. Or just piss some people off, or support a political movement,

I think music needs a purpose. Although it can be quite abstract. My friend said: "Music is about feeling"....maybe you can create music because it will make someone feel good, like a piece of really tasty chicken,

* Goals evolve too though

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jun 21 2011, 06:40 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've got to admit that as I get older, I have often asked myself "why do I still play guitar?" As many times as the question has come up, the same answer seems to re-appear. For me, the answer has always been "why not?" I've played on and off since I was a kid and there have been a few years where I didn't have time cause family, career, or school got in the way. This time that I re-dedicated myself to guitar was after I felt I had achieved most of what I wanted to achieve in my career, and after life has normalized and my future more relaxed. You know, as you get older you sometimes ask yourself "what will I do with the rest of my life?" I know that guitar isn't the "only" thing that I will do going forward, but now that I have the time, I want to give it all I can to get as good as I can. It's a humbling thing to set your sights really high, not knowing what you can achieve. But the guitar right now is one of those things. I think such a pursuit can make anyone a better person for it. It doesn't really matter what it is, but if you pick something and dedicate yourself to it with a goal of excellence and even hopefully to become "world class", you definately won't regret having tried, even if you find out that you're human after all and that the stars are a little beyond your reach. Especially if you're also able to achive a reasonable balance in the rest of your life. So for me, that is what guitar represents. Plus it's a lot of fun and better than watching TV, or playing video games. smile.gif

This post has been edited by JamesT: Jun 21 2011, 06:43 AM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 21 2011, 10:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JamesT @ Jun 21 2011, 06:40 AM) *
. So for me, that is what guitar represents. Plus it's a lot of fun and better than watching TV, or playing video games. smile.gif

That's a very very valuable aspect of playing music. It's real, unlike video games and TV.

nice post!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
zen
Jun 21 2011, 11:52 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great posts so far.

I think one should love being in the moment and being addicted to the discipline of learning itself and just playing the instrument. Those 'breakthroughs' in one's playing don't happen everyday but we all look forward to those days. They are the fruits of the hundreds or thousands of hours of practice. So if you are playing a bend today (no matter how good or bad it sounds), really get into it coz you wont get this time back. So might as well enjoy it.

Listening to as many genre's as possible does help too. And so does staying off hazardous hobbies or jobs wink.gif
Being in it for the wrong reasons is also going to kill longevity.

In the end, one should be able to say "Wow, I'm proud of all those hours spent. Granted some of em were not easy, but it was time well spent n totally worth it and if i get another chance, I'd do it all over again" .. And that's despite of how many techniques one mastered or how many songs were written or albums released.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:09 AM