2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Keep Snapping Strings :/
steve25
Feb 24 2008, 03:09 PM
GMC:er
I've done it again, i've snapped another string, it happens so often i think i'm going to have to stock up 5 packs of strings at a time. This time it was just tuning up. What can i do to help reduce the amount of times i snap strings? I've tried 2 different types now, D'Addario XLs and Ernie Ball Slinkys and they both seem to just snap really easily for me. Sometimes i'll do just a full step bend and they'll go. But this isn't the first time i've had strings snap on me when i was just tuning up. It's a bit ridiculous :/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 24 2008, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Where does the string snaps? It is common to snap because the metal on some part of hardware cuts it off. Usually it's the bridge sadle that gets sharper in time and it needs little some refurbishing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 24 2008, 03:24 PM
Near the tuning peg i think. When it snaps it comes away from the tuning peg if you know what i mean so it must be up there somewhere

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 25 2008, 08:03 PM
Ok trying a new brand today, DR strings. Bit weird though they come in these different colours, i got black ones i didn't really know what they meant to be honest, they had Hot Pink strings there and i was thinking surely not... but obviously yeah they must be bright pink strings lol. I would have rather had greys i don't know if they did grey ones i guess i'll see next time but blacks are ok. They costed twice the amount of D'Addario strings but hopefully they'll last longer smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 25 2008, 08:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 25 2008, 08:03 PM) *
Ok trying a new brand today, DR strings. Bit weird though they come in these different colours, i got black ones i didn't really know what they meant to be honest, they had Hot Pink strings there and i was thinking surely not... but obviously yeah they must be bright pink strings lol. I would have rather had greys i don't know if they did grey ones i guess i'll see next time but blacks are ok. They costed twice the amount of D'Addario strings but hopefully they'll last longer smile.gif

Hope it works! I've snapped like two strings in 18 years. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 25 2008, 08:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 25 2008, 08:03 PM) *

Can you tell me a little bit about them when you try them out..How coating feels sounds, does it come off easily..I'm very interested to know because I wanted to buy some for my bass (color coated ones from DR).. Thanks man! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 25 2008, 08:08 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 25 2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah sure i will smile.gif. I've just put them on now and got them up to tune. I like to leave my strings for a bit afterwards to get used to the tension and stuff. A lot of my lead playing is wide vibratos and i really don't want to snap a string having just put them on... Plus as said they were expensive strings. They say they'll last longer i hope that means they're generally stronger.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 25 2008, 09:47 PM
Cool man , play them few days and than give me a feedback on your opinion , especially about the sound and the color coating (does it get off or something) wink.gif I'm really interested to know...
Thanks man smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 25 2008, 09:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 25 2008, 11:54 PM
Instructor
I think the problem may be at tuning pegs. Maybe they got sharper or something or string holders cut the string.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 26 2008, 02:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 25 2008, 11:54 PM) *
I think the problem may be at tuning pegs. Maybe they got sharper or something or string holders cut the string.

That happened to one of the pegs on my Les Paul, so that theory gets my vote. But it took almost a decade of heavy use.

Gave me a good excuse to exchange them all smile.gif Never did like the stock pegs that came with the Les Paul

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 26 2008, 02:37 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Feb 26 2008, 02:38 AM
i love black hardware.. and im thinking of getting my whole guityar fitted with it SO black strings would be freakin wicked awsome.. so id love to hear as well.. smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 26 2008, 12:05 PM
Instructor
Maybe you need to place your strings on tunning pegs with a little more care,
wounding gotta be smooth so they won't break/snap that easily...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
SamJ
Feb 26 2008, 10:47 PM
I went through a phase in my first year of playing where I snapped loads of strings! I was snapping at least 1 a week, it was soo frustrating. I still don't really understand why they were snapping, I was probably just playing too hard.

Anyway, I get my strings free from Mark Knopfler. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 27 2008, 01:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sam Hook @ Feb 26 2008, 10:47 PM) *
Anyway, I get my strings free from Mark Knopfler. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif It snaps because it's free? laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
SamJ
Feb 28 2008, 12:13 AM
Hehe tongue.gif

What I meant was it doesn't really matter that I broke lots of strings because I got them free, so I wasn't losing money.

They didn't snap because they were free. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 28 2008, 12:16 AM
It's a new guitar, so it can't be the amount i've used it? Also i don't wind the strings round when i string them they just go straight through then i tighten them and they stay in tune fine that way.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 28 2008, 12:47 AM
Instructor
That's odd,it snaps around peg and not on the bridge

Hmm...how about nut,is it too thin?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2008, 01:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 28 2008, 12:16 AM) *
It's a new guitar, so it can't be the amount i've used it? Also i don't wind the strings round when i string them they just go straight through then i tighten them and they stay in tune fine that way.

It doesn't matter how old the guitar is, often new models have sharp hardware, missed refurbishing in the factory etc.

ALso I think you stringing method is not good, and very likely that there is the problem wink.gif Your strings are at much greater tension when not wounded a couple of times, especially when you bend them. I suggest you try woudning them a couple of time next time - and don't worry they will stay in tune anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 28 2008, 04:12 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 28 2008, 12:16 AM) *

This type of tuning may be the problem..Try winding few rounds next time..Is should not affect their ability to stay in tune any way.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 11 2008, 02:50 PM
Well these lasted a bit longer, a few weeks but i've finalyl snapped another string, the B string i was practicing bending and vibrato and it just lost it, this time it snapped at the bridge. I'm not sure what to do and i certainly can't keep buying those strings as they're a bit expensive. It was the same deal on my last guitar as well. It's all fine until i start practicing bending :/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:15 PM