Todd Here Out Of Pocket, Moving Day!
Todd Simpson
Feb 10 2019, 10:06 AM
GMC:er
I'm moving to a new place and hopefully my internet service will be back up Tuesday. Moving/unpacking is a bit of a hectic time so I might be out of pocket for a couple of days. Fear not!! I'll be back in the swing of things very soon. Play on!!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 10 2019, 10:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 10 2019, 10:06 AM) *
I'm moving to a new place and hopefully my internet service will be back up Tuesday. Moving/unpacking is a bit of a hectic time so I might be out of pocket for a couple of days. Fear not!! I'll be back in the swing of things very soon. Play on!!
Todd

All the best, Todd smile.gif I hope your new place will be great! Will you get a better or worse space for your music activities?

Speaking of moving, I had not sorted un-used cables since I moved. Finally sorted them all out yesterday, as they were all just bundled together and in a mess. I think there must have been 150 thrown into several boxes, not including the ones I use in my studio, plus probably 50-70 cables already in use if not more, and they need to be sorted at some point too, as they are just running all around the place, though 95% of them along the wall and behind table etc, just not tight or marked etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 10 2019, 10:38 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
All the best with your move buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 10 2019, 06:50 PM
Take your time as moving isn't easy, specially considering guys like us have more electronics stuff than most people and must be careful. Will be waiting for new photos of new workspace smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 10 2019, 06:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 10 2019, 06:50 PM) *
Take your time as moving isn't easy, specially considering guys like us have more electronics stuff than most people and must be careful. Will be waiting for new photos of new workspace smile.gif

I was making a quick count of cables as said, must be around 200! Then I went looking for some canvas frames I thought I had in the attic of my house (was gonna use them for home-made absorption (better than nothing, I would think)), but all I found were two huge moving boxes with just as many cables as I had already sorted and some other things. Crazy amount of cables I have!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 11 2019, 11:51 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 10 2019, 05:59 PM) *
I was making a quick count of cables as said, must be around 200! Then I went looking for some canvas frames I thought I had in the attic of my house (was gonna use them for home-made absorption (better than nothing, I would think)), but all I found were two huge moving boxes with just as many cables as I had already sorted and some other things. Crazy amount of cables I have!

biggrin.gif

If they're good quality cables sure keep them, but the cheaper stuff gets corroded in time as the surrounding plastic starts to loosen. The tips can be used if needed, but I just give away to friends the bad stuff.

Canvas frames are a great idea for bass traps, controlling room reflections takes great time and effort but a start is a start so go for it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 11 2019, 12:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 11 2019, 11:51 AM) *
biggrin.gif

If they're good quality cables sure keep them, but the cheaper stuff gets corroded in time as the surrounding plastic starts to loosen. The tips can be used if needed, but I just give away to friends the bad stuff.

Canvas frames are a great idea for bass traps, controlling room reflections takes great time and effort but a start is a start so go for it smile.gif

Yep! I ended up throwing a lot of them out. Many were also just cables for video purposes, gaming machines etc. it turned out.

Yep, anything is better than nothing. Unfortunately I had no canvas frames. I will probably buy some when I get the money. Do you have other suggestions on what can be used that looks good and not messy?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 11 2019, 12:53 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 11 2019, 11:36 AM) *
Yep! I ended up throwing a lot of them out. Many were also just cables for video purposes, gaming machines etc. it turned out.

Yep, anything is better than nothing. Unfortunately I had no canvas frames. I will probably buy some when I get the money. Do you have other suggestions on what can be used that looks good and not messy?

I remember suggesting shoe boxes to Darious few year ago for corner traps, he was looking for a portable solution at the time. If money is tight you can just cover the material with cloth, something thick enough to prevent dust, later on can be framed/nailed to a wood panel or just keep it that way as long as you want. Honestly the web has the best ideas.

My only advice is try starting with the corner traps if possible, these will make the most difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 11 2019, 01:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 11 2019, 12:53 PM) *
I remember suggesting shoe boxes to Darious few year ago for corner traps, he was looking for a portable solution at the time. If money is tight you can just cover the material with cloth, something thick enough to prevent dust, later on can be framed/nailed to a wood panel or just keep it that way as long as you want. Honestly the web has the best ideas.

My only advice is try starting with the corner traps if possible, these will make the most difference.

Cheers. I will see what I can do. I don't think I have any shoe boxes at the moment. Will have to look. Money is VERY tight at the moment unfortunately. Constant fear of bank calling to close my credit card, which means no way of buying food smile.gif Trying to rectify the situation, but it's a slow process.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 13 2019, 03:12 PM
Learning Roadie
All the best with the moving! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2019, 03:30 AM
I'd forgotten what a massive pain in the neck moving is. Seems like it takes just a few years to forget what it's like, long enough to start looking for a new place smile.gif Finally got Internet back up! It's hard to realize how much I take broadband internet for granted, until it's not there, then I become fully aware of how much I depend on it. Tried using my iphone as a hotspot, ran out of high speed data the same day, got throttled to a trickle of data so slow that youtube videos won't play. This is really lame when one has not gotten cable tv back up. Yet another thing I've taken for granted. let me hereby express my love and affection for the vendors who provide my wifi and my cable tv. I promise not to complain about the horrible customer service, or crazy prices ever again smile.gif

Still don't have my studio space set up yet. I feel BENS pain on cables. 10 huge plastic bins FULL of cables. Bit daunting but, gotta go through and figure out what I don't need. Had started just unplugging cables behind gear instead of pulling them out, which is just a bad idea. Still, at least the interwebs are working for me again so I can look at some BOOTCAMP vids!!!!
Todd

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 14 2019, 03:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 14 2019, 03:30 AM) *
I'd forgotten what a massive pain in the neck moving is. Seems like it takes just a few years to forget what it's like, long enough to start looking for a new place smile.gif Finally got Internet back up! It's hard to realize how much I take broadband internet for granted, until it's not there, then I become fully aware of how much I depend on it. Tried using my iphone as a hotspot, ran out of high speed data the same day, got throttled to a trickle of data so slow that youtube videos won't play. This is really lame when one has not gotten cable tv back up. Yet another thing I've taken for granted. let me hereby express my love and affection for the vendors who provide my wifi and my cable tv. I promise not to complain about the horrible customer service, or crazy prices ever again smile.gif

Still don't have my studio space set up yet. I feel BENS pain on cables. 10 huge plastic bins FULL of cables. Bit daunting but, gotta go through and figure out what I don't need. Had started just unplugging cables behind gear instead of pulling them out, which is just a bad idea. Still, at least the interwebs are working for me again so I can look at some BOOTCAMP vids!!!!
Todd

Not having internet can be bothersome. For about a month in 2008 I didn't have a home, nor a phone with wifi hotspot (if that was a thing back then), I slept in a hostel mostly, but I didn't have a laptop, only a phone that could text. To use a computer I had to pay at the hostel and could only use it for a short time and not for much useful activity. But in some way I miss that time, as after the first week of missing it you start doing other things - see the city, walk about, sit at a lake-front for a bit etc.

As for cables, here's what I have done:

I'm not sure the "healthiest" solution for the cables is. I have seen many different ways of tying or "folding" them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2019, 04:08 AM
That sounds rough!!! Makes my move seem pretty darn tame by comparison. Moving is just a pain, certainly nothing as serious as being homeless.

I like your cable solution!! I'm still trying to decide to keep or toss all my "extra" cables. I may have cable issues smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 13 2019, 10:48 PM) *
Not having internet can be bothersome. For about a month in 2008 I didn't have a home, nor a phone with wifi hotspot (if that was a thing back then), I slept in a hostel mostly, but I didn't have a laptop, only a phone that could text. To use a computer I had to pay at the hostel and could only use it for a short time and not for much useful activity. But in some way I miss that time, as after the first week of missing it you start doing other things - see the city, walk about, sit at a lake-front for a bit etc.

As for cables, here's what I have done:

I'm not sure the "healthiest" solution for the cables is. I have seen many different ways of tying or "folding" them.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 18 2019, 01:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 15 2019, 04:08 AM) *
That sounds rough!!! Makes my move seem pretty darn tame by comparison. Moving is just a pain, certainly nothing as serious as being homeless.

I like your cable solution!! I'm still trying to decide to keep or toss all my "extra" cables. I may have cable issues smile.gif

Todd

I tossed about 50 cables out. Lots of stuff that I didn't need in my studio. Been trying to clean it up and create a good atmosphere smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:01 AM