> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 70 71 72 73 74 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Jan 17 2018, 08:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I'm glad you can see improvements. I think I'm misunderstanding the wrist usage. I'm going to watch as many videos as I can, I may even ask the teacher at my friend's guitar shop for a one on one just to get this if I get chance. When I watch Guthrie's hand, I'm sure his fingers extend when he's bending, it doesn't look all in the wrist, to my eyes anyway.

I'll do some more research.

Cheers buddy, just need to spend some more time in Bend Town on this journey wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 17 2018, 10:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 18 2018, 09:35 PM
Hello Gab,

Additional to the above post.

My video is the last one if you could take a look. I think the technique is getting better, I feel like I'm using a lot more wrist than it looks when I watch the video back. I need to control the sound of the lower string as my fingers grab it when I bend, that's tricky for me at the moment.

I found this, great explanation and close up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGl0urYSuug

Paul Gilbert doesn't seem to be doing what he says he's doing in this video huh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0RLLreDUo0

This is classic Mr Vai and he's bending 5 frets in one part ohmy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBINGNIFnGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvQEA0qjps

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2018, 01:34 PM
Instructor
That video by Vai is exactly what you need to know and practice. Great one.

Your motion is better now. I would try playing the target note first and then bending to it. Be sure that the note that you are reaching is precise so do it like Vai suggests it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 19 2018, 03:11 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think looking at the fingers is deceptive because you rotate your wrist but your fingers have to travel in a linear motion, ie not an arc, so they have to extend somewhat to keep at the fret.

I am now finding it so much easier to bend that I'm going sharp a lot of the time. I do struggle to recognise pitch though but if I know something really really well I can notice if TAB is out by a semi tone but I struggle with bends. That's why I said I was going to learn the Collen lesson off by heart with sliding to the note to get the correct pitches in my head.

I'm going to be working on this a lot, it's a critical element. I'll keep you posted and I might even post a REC, even though the bends won't be perfect.

Cheers buddy

UPDATE 21st January:
I think my ear is getting better, when I bend and look at the tuner when I think the note is right, I'm not off the scale any more and often I'm within a few cents. The reason I say I think my ear is improving is that I'm not sure if. It's my fingers getting used to how far to bend the string. Tomorrow I'll try a hard tail guitar and see what happens. I may even alternate my bending/ear training with flying term and hard tale. What do you think?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 21 2018, 10:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2018, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, great to see you focused and working hard!

Practicing on different guitars is obviously helpful to get used to different situations but I don't think it's essential by now. The key is to train your ear and get enough strengh to reach the desired pitches.

Regarding wrist and fingers movements, have you ever practiced in front of a mirror?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2018, 10:02 PM
Thanks Gab,

I did have a try on a hardtail, I was going sharp but mainly because of muscle memory, I could hear it as I went very very sharp. Once I'd been trying for a while, my muscles calmed down.

I had a go in front of the mirror, I can't believe how useful it is or why I haven't done it before. Thanks for that tip smile.gif

Here is a video with me on my Strat, I've tried to get a better angle for you. I didn't use my tuner to "cheat" this was done by ear, I think some are ok, others aren't but I'm definitely improving, time is your best friend eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKT4tA5Id0Y

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 23 2018, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

Yeah, I usually practice while watching me on mirror, camera, or even on a window reflection. Things are getting better, you'll never regret this hard work that you are doing with bends. Keep going!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 23 2018, 09:40 PM
Thanks Gab,

I've been really trying hard with the bending to pitch thing, so much that I think I've neglected the Collen lesson, tonight I tried to get the bends right while playing the solo, ohmy.gif they were all over the place but, I'm sure this is just because of so much more things going on at the same time and having to hear more things in my ear than just my guitar. I'll stick at it but I will play the Collen lesson at least once a day to improve my bends.

On another note, I passed Quick Licks 11 with Todd and did a little imrpov over the backing using just the notes from the lick, except at one point I had to play an Ab instead of an A because I ran out of frets and didn't know what else to do laugh.gif It's all good fun though, really got my mojo back and am not concerned about the rate of improvement any more but the quality of improvement, that can change at the drop of a hat though laugh.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=755937

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2018, 02:04 PM
Instructor
Nice Phil! Great to see you enjoying your playing and practice. I have nice feelings. Keep going.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 25 2018, 10:24 PM
Hello Gab,

It's scruffy, camera sound only and my nose sounds like a horse biggrin.gif but I've been trying to bend to notes without using the reference tone first. I was looking at my tuner during this but not using it to cheat, just to check as you will tell from the lack of adjustment at the end of the bends just trying to hit whole tone bends instantly in different places. It's getting there slowly, obviously these aren't pitch perfect but I'm trying not to hunt for the note.

I've also noticed that sometimes my fingers are still doing too much work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmBsdvoBjG0

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2018, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Keep on practicing, and enjoy it! (I've seen that cool vid that you've shared) biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 26 2018, 10:03 PM
I am buddy, I'm just going with the flow of life now, practising hard but not getting hung up about it, it will happen in its own time. As I said, I'm not going to spend hours, days, weeks, months chasing perfection, as long as my lessons are passable I'll move on and get lots of different stuff under my belt wink.gif

Here is a take of the Collen lesson this evening, please let me know what you think, I don't know what happened at 00:31, 00:34 and 00:38 but I'm sure it didn't happen when I was playing and I can't make it happen as I've played it another ten times after this on the exact same settings and I couldn't make it happen.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/collen-lesson-27012018

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 27 2018, 09:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 29 2018, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! That's getting close!

Besides those fade in effects that appear on the parts that you've said, the other parts are much better now. What do you think happened on those parts? Is it an audio problem? I wonder if it's related to a noise gate that you are using in your patch...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 29 2018, 10:08 PM
Thanks Gab,

I don't know what happened, and I could make it do it again with the exact same set. Very strange, we discussed it here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=58950

There will be another REC take tonight. I posted it last night but had to get Kris to remove it because I'd left the camera mic sound on it rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 30 2018, 11:11 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2018, 02:26 PM
Instructor
It's definitely a noise gate, isn't it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 30 2018, 03:00 PM
Hello Gab,

I always have to have a basic noise gate because of noisy electrics BUT, the big thing is, I've used that patch for every take of the Ben Higgins lesson, only altering the low pass filter to remove some bass. I played it at least 5 times after recording that and it didn't happen, no matter how hard I picked the strings, that's what's weird. I used the exact same setup for the REC that I'll put up tonight. It's a very strange anomaly but I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens again.

Even if I get three 6s in REC this time, (Darius has given me a 6), I will still do at least one more, I enjoy that Collen lesson a lot so it's not a chore smile.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 30 2018, 10:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2018, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Is this still happening? The reason could be that you were sending a lower signal and it could be related to your guitar volume pot or maybe a problem with the cable.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 1 2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks Gab but it's not doing it now, it only did it on that take and I couldn't replicate it afterwards. Very strange.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2018, 01:45 PM
Instructor
ah ok, so don't worry! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 3 2018, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your comments at REC Gab wink.gif I've sent a PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 70 71 72 73 74 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:13 AM