4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Chrnoam - Mtp
UncleSkillet
Apr 19 2009, 10:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ChrnoAM @ Apr 18 2009, 10:08 PM) *
Hey Jeff! Here's a take of the Blues Bending Lesson, I'm having trouble keeping it in time when I am playing by myself, but anyway take a look, hope you enjoy it =P laugh.gif I think this is the last video I'll be able to upload on the forum, we'll have to figure out that youtube sync issue then blink.gif

This lesson is definitly a tough one and I think it would benifit you greatly to spend some more time working on this one. So far bends are the one major thing giving you problems in all your uploads. If we can fix this one thing your playing is going to jump to a whole nother level. Almost every bend you played was not to the proper pitch. I don't want you to take what I am saying the wrong way and my intent is only to be honest with you so you can improve your playing. Try a simple exercise like play the 'E' note on the 'G' string 9th fret. Then move up to the 7th fret on the same string and bend a whole step up (without picking the note) to where you think that pitch is and then pick the note. Also practice this with half step bending as well. The idea is to train the muscles in your hand so they know how far each bend should be. Try this for a while and then go back and do another take when you feel ready and we can compare the 2 to get a good feel for your progress.

QUOTE (ChrnoAM @ Apr 19 2009, 12:51 AM) *
I got the youtube issue figured out, it's going to take one extra conversion step before uploading but my test video worked. laugh.gif

Glad you got things sorted out. Was it converting to avi before the upload to Youtube?

Ask if you have any questions smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
Apr 20 2009, 01:44 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 19 2009, 05:30 PM) *
This lesson is definitly a tough one and I think it would benifit you greatly to spend some more time working on this one. So far bends are the one major thing giving you problems in all your uploads. If we can fix this one thing your playing is going to jump to a whole nother level. Almost every bend you played was not to the proper pitch. I don't want you to take what I am saying the wrong way and my intent is only to be honest with you so you can improve your playing. Try a simple exercise like play the 'E' note on the 'G' string 9th fret. Then move up to the 7th fret on the same string and bend a whole step up (without picking the note) to where you think that pitch is and then pick the note. Also practice this with half step bending as well. The idea is to train the muscles in your hand so they know how far each bend should be. Try this for a while and then go back and do another take when you feel ready and we can compare the 2 to get a good feel for your progress.

Glad you got things sorted out. Was it converting to avi before the upload to Youtube?

Ask if you have any questions smile.gif

Okay sounds like a plan, I totally understand where you are coming from, I will definitely work more on getting the pitch right and get these bends down!

Yeah I just had to convert the audio to an MP3 codec and encode to AVI apparently the WAV audio in MPG format doesn't stay in sync on youtube for some reason.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 20 2009, 03:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way and are willing to work more on this. smile.gif

Let me know if you need help or have any questions.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
Apr 20 2009, 08:34 PM
One nuance I have a question about Jeff, when you have a note bent say a whole step, how do you release it at that pitch, to be more specific, stop the note from ringing so it doesn't have that little bit of time where it is going out of pitch while returning to the unbent position?

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 20 2009, 09:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well if I understand your question right the only way would be to bend to pitch, mute the string with your palm or finger, release back to the original note and then pick that note.

Are you having problems with that one bend in the lesson where he bends and picks like 3 different notes or something. Just curious why you’re asking.

I was just wanting you to practice is called ghost bending. Bend a note to pitch without making any noise, pick the note (make sure it is the correct pitch. You should be able to tell by ear if it is flat or sharp because you should be comparing it to the corresponding note on the fret board that I mentioned above) and then you can release it back down to the original note without muting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
Apr 20 2009, 10:18 PM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 20 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Well if I understand your question right the only way would be to bend to pitch, mute the string with your palm or finger, release back to the original note and then pick that note.

Are you having problems with that one bend in the lesson where he bends and picks like 3 different notes or something. Just curious why you’re asking.

I was just wanting you to practice is called ghost bending. Bend a note to pitch without making any noise, pick the note (make sure it is the correct pitch. You should be able to tell by ear if it is flat or sharp because you should be comparing it to the corresponding note on the fret board that I mentioned above) and then you can release it back down to the original note without muting.

Some of those country bends they bend up to pitch and then the note stops, without returning back, there are a few in this lesson I think.

I've been working on the ghost bending as well, my ear apparently isn't up to par, because I checked what I thought was in tune, and was sometimes more than a quarter tone off eeeps! So this is definitely something I will prioritize in practicing!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 20 2009, 11:04 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
That's great Amol! Great progress! smile.gif Ear training is also a very important part of being a good player.
We'll get it all worked out, just keep at it and take a break once in a while so you don't hurt your fingers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
May 13 2009, 05:28 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 20 2009, 06:04 PM) *
That's great Amol! Great progress! smile.gif Ear training is also a very important part of being a good player.
We'll get it all worked out, just keep at it and take a break once in a while so you don't hurt your fingers.

Here is another take of the Blues Bending Lesson Jeff! There's still a lot of work to be done, but you can get an update into where I'm at now, especially since it's been awhile since the last video-post. Let me know what you think!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  take2.mpg ( 9.24MB ) Number of downloads: 113

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 14 2009, 01:10 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
With this upload I can see a lot of improvement! You have been working hard and it shows. Great job!

I went back and watched your 1st upload and then this. Here is what I observed.
You rhythm placement, control, pitch bending and feel where EXTREMELY better with this take. There where a few problem notes but I don't think these are things to worry about at this point. Especially considering how tough this lesson is.

The important thing is that you feel like your improving. I can see it! smile.gif What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
May 14 2009, 01:27 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ May 13 2009, 08:10 PM) *
With this upload I can see a lot of improvement! You have been working hard and it shows. Great job!

I went back and watched your 1st upload and then this. Here is what I observed.
You rhythm placement, control, pitch bending and feel where EXTREMELY better with this take. There where a few problem notes but I don't think these are things to worry about at this point. Especially considering how tough this lesson is.

The important thing is that you feel like your improving. I can see it! smile.gif What do you think?

I definitely feel improvement, this lesson has helped my bending tremendously, and by the time I get it down, it'll have helped a lot more hahaha! I've also been recording my own compositions and learning songs on the side because practicing the same 40 sec. piece gets monotonous after awhile lol!! laugh.gif Are there any other bending lessons we can work on as well? I definitely want to come back to this one though, I'm not satisfied with that take.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 14 2009, 02:02 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm glad you feel good about the time you have spent working on this. smile.gif

I know how it is to work on the same lesson, Over and Over and Over laugh.gif . But it is something we all have to go through, but it pays us off big in the end. Keep working on it because it really is a great way to practice keeping your bends and stuff up to par! Upload another take when you can.

Ok! Another lesson? How about you pick this time. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
May 16 2009, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ May 13 2009, 09:02 PM) *
I'm glad you feel good about the time you have spent working on this. smile.gif

I know how it is to work on the same lesson, Over and Over and Over laugh.gif . But it is something we all have to go through, but it pays us off big in the end. Keep working on it because it really is a great way to practice keeping your bends and stuff up to par! Upload another take when you can.

Ok! Another lesson? How about you pick this time. smile.gif

Yeah definitely worth it! Plus it's loads of fun trying to get it down!! Here's another take, still needs work, this'll be the last one we can fit onto the forum's webspace. We have to go to youtube from here hahaha! As for a new lesson, I really liked the ones you've picked out. They've really broken me out of my usual playing niche and widened my outlook. I'm really feelin' this blues vibe, let's stick with it!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  take3.mpg ( 9.11MB ) Number of downloads: 104

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 16 2009, 02:46 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey bro, thanks for the other upload. smile.gif

We need to get this Youtube thing setup for you. It's easy to do so lets get that setup ASAP! Let me know if you need help, OK?

As far as your new take, I want to be honest with you because that is why I'm here so don't take this the wrong way.

Your other one (before this) was much better! The good thing about this new upload was you showed more of the blues passion when I watched it. The bad thing is it didn't deliver musically. Most of the bends weren't at pitch and the vibrato was very stiff and weak. No worries though man because we can fix this and your doing a great job! wink.gif , As long as you are willing to stick with this program and me as your friend and mentor.

How is the Alternate Picking lesson coming along that I gave you to work on? This answer will help me to pick out another lesson for you to practice. I am guessing you want me to pick again based on your response, right?

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
May 16 2009, 03:35 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ May 15 2009, 09:46 PM) *
Hey bro, thanks for the other upload. smile.gif

We need to get this Youtube thing setup for you. It's easy to do so lets get that setup ASAP! Let me know if you need help, OK?

As far as your new take, I want to be honest with you because that is why I'm here so don't take this the wrong way.

Your other one (before this) was much better! The good thing about this new upload was you showed more of the blues passion when I watched it. The bad thing is it didn't deliver musically. Most of the bends weren't at pitch and the vibrato was very stiff and weak. No worries though man because we can fix this and your doing a great job! wink.gif , As long as you are willing to stick with this program and me as your friend and mentor.

How is the Alternate Picking lesson coming along that I gave you to work on? This answer will help me to pick out another lesson for you to practice. I am guessing you want me to pick again based on your response, right?

Cheers smile.gif

The pitch thing might be with tuning, for the first video I tuned to the backing track by ear, because it sounded a little sharp to me. When I tune the guitar by a tuner it seems like it's flat when I play with the track, can you check if it's actually like that, or if it's just me? lol tongue.gif The vibrato I definitely feel needs more improvement too, the placing or phrasing is still tough for me as well.

Sure the alternate picking lesson can be my next upload, I'll get it ready. It'll be nice to give my fingers a rest from all that bending for awhile lol laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
May 20 2009, 03:59 AM
QUOTE (ChrnoAM @ May 15 2009, 10:35 PM) *
The pitch thing might be with tuning, for the first video I tuned to the backing track by ear, because it sounded a little sharp to me. When I tune the guitar by a tuner it seems like it's flat when I play with the track, can you check if it's actually like that, or if it's just me? lol tongue.gif The vibrato I definitely feel needs more improvement too, the placing or phrasing is still tough for me as well.

Sure the alternate picking lesson can be my next upload, I'll get it ready. It'll be nice to give my fingers a rest from all that bending for awhile lol laugh.gif

Hey Jeff, I recorded a take of the alternate picking lesson, and uploaded it to youtube here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZHldX-Ouc

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 22 2009, 12:30 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Amol is rocking the house!!!

Well done for getting the Youtube account setup and your upload was really nice imho! smile.gif

I like your right hand picking. It looked relaxed which is what you want. The left hand fingering also looked good. There where a few spots (if you listen back to it you can hear what I'm talking about maybe) were the timing was off some but you seemed to find your way back fine. Your guitar tone is getting better to. I didn't hear the clipping pop too much accept 1 at the end. Maybe it's the Strat or something but well done for that to.

What I would like to see is you work on this just a little more to polish it up some and do another upload. I think you should also enter it in the REC program and if your not sure what this is or how to do it just ask. I think you’ll get some very high marks for this if you can tighten it up in a few spots. Also try to play around with different picking accents, for example when you start a new sequence (every 2 bars I believe) make that pick attack harder on that note (small amount). This will make things sound more defined and rhythmic. See what you think.

I will find you another lesson that incorporates a few of the things we have been working on and get back with you in a few days. Let me know when you have another upload or question.

Great job!

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jun 1 2009, 02:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Amol, how are things going? I have thought about your progress and what we have worked on.

Mostly I have been giving you technical stuff to work on and I would like to try something a little different now. An important aspect of playing is how you control your instrument and creating different tonal dynamics with your picking and tone. A lot of players don't think of this but the great ones do and it can really help get your audience connected when you play something.

I have picked these 2 lessons for use to work on. They will be great for use to discuss as well. There aren't a bunch of tough licks to learn so what I would like you to do is just listen to them once you have the fingering worked out. Listen to the dynamics and connected with the musical piece. Let yourself go and close your eyes and hit record smile.gif

Don't mean to sound weird but it's the best way I could think of to explain this. wink.gif laugh.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/guitar_loves_piano/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blue-note-in-a/

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
Jun 3 2009, 10:56 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ May 31 2009, 09:45 PM) *
Amol, how are things going? I have thought about your progress and what we have worked on.

Mostly I have been giving you technical stuff to work on and I would like to try something a little different now. An important aspect of playing is how you control your instrument and creating different tonal dynamics with your picking and tone. A lot of players don't think of this but the great ones do and it can really help get your audience connected when you play something.

I have picked these 2 lessons for use to work on. They will be great for use to discuss as well. There aren't a bunch of tough licks to learn so what I would like you to do is just listen to them once you have the fingering worked out. Listen to the dynamics and connected with the musical piece. Let yourself go and close your eyes and hit record smile.gif

Don't mean to sound weird but it's the best way I could think of to explain this. wink.gif laugh.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/guitar_loves_piano/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blue-note-in-a/

Hey Jeff! Awesome selection of lessons once again haha, and I totally agree about the feeling the melody! Funny thing is I was eying up the guitar loves piano lesson myself laugh.gif hahaha, I'm actually back at home right now which is why I took so long to respond sorry! I got a mixer and have been trying to set it up lately, I think it should solve all the clicking and popping issues I was having. Hopefully I can start working on this lessons tomorrow biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
Jun 11 2009, 06:45 AM
Hahaha so here's an update! The mixer I bought didn't work out, too many issues trying to connect it to my PC mad.gif Good news tho is I learned the first line to the Guitar Loves Piano Lesson, check it out below, I learned how to do the imbed thing now biggrin.gif . I think the camera angle I used this time will be easier to critique as well

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jun 12 2009, 02:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
The video and position look great man! I didn’t have a problem seeing things before but zooming up closer on the neck will be easier. I’m getting older and my eyes are getting worse so thanks for seeing into the future. biggrin.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

There is a lot for use to talk about while you work on this lesson so feel free to engage me at any point. Even though it is rated as an easy 3 there is much more to it then just playing it. Keep working on it. So far things look pretty good. There were a few things I noticed so far with this take and I want to just comment on.

1.) There is a timing issue in a few places. One that stands out is at 0:15. Probably not a big deal because you just started working on it, but I just wanted to point it out.

2.) I also don’t hear a real difference in volume or tone coming from your picking and vibrato. This might be caused be a few things. Left hand fretting pressure (the hand is not relaxed and you’re pushing down on the string with the same pressure. This can affect your vibrato tempo as well), the tone your recording with you may need to EQ better (find a medium drive tube amp simulator like a Marshall Plexi or JCM. Something like that will clean up when you pick soft and have more gain when you pick hard. Changing your volume levels on the guitar and using your pickup selector can help to create a different feel too)

I can see that your vibrato is getting much better and it looks like your also getting better control over how you use it. wink.gif

Sorry your mixer didn’t work out for you. Upload more takes when you can and if you have any questions please ask. I’m here to help Amol. smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jun 12 2009, 02:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 11:27 PM