2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Loop Question
Phil66
Mar 23 2017, 09:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

For the time being, I'm keeping my GT100, should I run the GT100 in the fx loop of my AA12 or the AA12 in the fx loop of the GT100??

I'm thinking I should use the GT100 in the FX loop of the AA12 but I read THIS and now I'm all confused.

I've had it setup with the loop but now all of the cables are out and I can't remember how I did it but I think the guitar was plugged into the AA12.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2017, 02:21 AM
GMC:er
You don't have to run it in the fx loop, you can always just run the GT in line before the AA12. It's a lot more simple smile.gif If you try it and you don't like it, then you can just run it in the fx loop. There are wads of ways to patch things up. A lot depends on how you end up using it and how you end up liking it.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 23 2017, 04:01 PM) *
Hello folks,

For the time being, I'm keeping my GT100, should I run the GT100 in the fx loop of my AA12 or the AA12 in the fx loop of the GT100??

I'm thinking I should use the GT100 in the FX loop of the AA12 but I read THIS and now I'm all confused.

I've had it setup with the loop but now all of the cables are out and I can't remember how I did it but I think the guitar was plugged into the AA12.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2017, 07:56 AM
Thanks Todd,

The thing is I was only going to use the GT100 for non drive effects that the AA12 doesn't have yet, the things that go after distortion so I think it should be in the loop of the AA12 but I don't know how to hook it up in 4CM, Maybe I'm missing the obvious. I want to be able to use the AA12 even if the GT100 is switched off so I don't want the guitar lead going into the GT100.

How it is best to do this, so the GT100 is purely in the loop?

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 24 2017, 09:33 AM
I vote for fx loop only, no 4cm.

I remember atomic can change the order placement of the fx loop, correct? this alone is a huge advantage when creating tones between the two.

If the fx loop can't be bypassed in the atomic(?), just make a blank preset default on the boss so you won't be dealing with cables.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2017, 02:23 PM
Thanks Mertay

Yes, you can change the position of the effect pre or post loop. The loop in the AA can be switched on or off. SO how would I connect using "loop only"?

Sorry for being such a numpty but routing of cables mess with my head wacko.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 24 2017, 07:59 PM
To me ideally a cable from amplifire's fx send to gt100's input, then gt100's left main outs to amplifire's return. So we get stereo fx return from boss.

Let me know if you have any impedance noise issues.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2017, 08:45 PM
When I do it like that, it goes silent when I switch in the FX Loop on the AA.

"send to gt100's input (where the guitar usually plugs in??), then gt100's left main outs to amplifire's return. So we get stereo fx return from boss."

I know I've had the loop working but I can't remember how I did it or if I had the guitar plugged into the Gt100 or AA

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 24 2017, 08:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 24 2017, 09:15 PM
Yeah amplifire's send to boss's guitar input. Unless boss's volume (output) is low, a noisegate active on boss or some change needed on amplifire's software controller, I can't think of a reason for the silence when fx loop is engaged. Its basically just like connecting a regular pedal to the fx loop of the amplifire.

Ok then lets also try this; amplifires send to gt100 fx loop return, then gt100's send to amplifire's return. Any change? if no instead of gt100's send try gt100's main mono out or phones out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2017, 09:44 PM
Sorry, one of the cables wasn't plugged in all the way rolleyes.gif

I don't understand how it can be stereo though without using the left and right outputs unsure.gif

It will be fine for now though, I'm not going to use it a lot, just when I need something the AA hasn't got wink.gif

I've left it set at default in the AA.

With post fx as below.

I don't understand these but default is "mute send" smile.gif

What I found out when experimenting, if I have a delay effect with a lot of delay repeats on the GT100, if I switch the fx loop off in the AA while playing, the repeats still keep coming. I don't know if this is how it should be but it intrigued me wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 24 2017, 10:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 24 2017, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 24 2017, 08:44 PM) *

I don't understand how it can be stereo though without using the left and right outputs unsure.gif

It will be fine for now though, I'm not going to use it a lot, just when I need something the AA hasn't got wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

hehehe no problem smile.gif

Although we send a mono out from the amplifire, its converted to stereo inside the boss. Then boss's stereo outputs go into the amplifire's stereo returns so you should be hearing boss fx in stereo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2017, 10:03 PM
Thanks,

I have added pictures to my last post.

I didn't think guitar cables carried a stereo signal though, that's why I can't understand how I'm getting stereo if I'm not using the left and right outputs unsure.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2017, 11:01 PM
I wont be stereo unless you have a stereo return on your fx loop which I'm guessing you don't as that's somewhat rare. As a result, the fx from the gt will be in mono. Make sure that using the GT doesn't degrade your sound. The converters are way cheaper in the GT. If you notice a degradation in sound quality, you may want to skip the gt. But if you don't hear a bit difference then it's probably fine smile.gif

You may need a dual tier floorboard for this monster smile.gif Or you can just put them side by side.

P.S. THere is a SOFTWARE version of the aplifire plugin that will let you do the same stuff just using your computer. The sounds are the same from what I understand. Just takes the atomic and makes it a plugin.

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/amp_modeler_pro/

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 24 2017, 04:44 PM) *

I've left it set at default in the AA.

With post fx as below.

I don't understand these but default is "mute send" smile.gif

What I found out when experimenting, if I have a delay effect with a lot of delay repeats on the GT100, if I switch the fx loop off in the AA while playing, the repeats still keep coming. I don't know if this is how it should be but it intrigued me wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 24 2017, 11:05 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 25 2017, 12:11 AM
That Amp Modeller Pro is $149 and looks great value. I don't know why but i just feel better getting hardware. It has made me wonder why the hardware is $650 more than that software though wink.gif

Below, in italics is what the people at the Atomic forum said about the fx loop. I don't fully understand it still. I think I'm missing something and getting confused because guitar cable carry a mono signal and I only have one cable going into the GT100 and one cable coming out. I must be missing something that is blindingly obvious unsure.gif Full thread is HERE

"The effects loop in the AA has a mono send and a stereo return. The GT100 has a mono input and a stereo output. So connect the mono send of the AA effects loop to the mono input of the GT100 and connect the stereo output of the GT100 to the stereo AA effects return, and make sure you set the effects loop location for AA to be "with post-fx".

The signal path on the AA gets summed to mono when it hits the amp block. Effects after the amp block in AA can be in stereo. So if you place the AA effects loop before the amp everything will get summed to mono and you'll lose stereo nature of the GT100. If you place the AA loop after effects that are placed after the amp, you will lose the stereo nature of the post-amp effects in the AA because the effects send on the AA is mono. So if you want to maximize the stereo effects in the AA and the stereo effects in the GT100 you should place the AA effects loop to be post amp but pre fx (i.e. "with post-FX") so you send the mono output from the amp block to the GT100 and then get the stereo effects of the GT100 coming back to the AA in stereo to hit the later stereo effects in the AA. If you run it "at input" the all the stereo goodness offered by the GT100 is going to get summed to mono because the signal in AA gets summed mono before it hits the "amp" block. Same thing if you place the AA loop "With pre-FX" because that still has the loop return before the amp. If you place the AA loop as "at output" then you get all the stereo goodness of the GT100 effects, but you lose the stereo goodness of the AA effects because the AA sends only a summed mono signal out from the effects loop and the GT100 can only receive a mono input".

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 25 2017, 09:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 25 2017, 03:02 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 24 2017, 09:03 PM) *
Thanks,

I have added pictures to my last post.

I didn't think guitar cables carried a stereo signal though, that's why I can't understand how I'm getting stereo if I'm not using the left and right outputs unsure.gif

Cheers

They can't, lets clearify; you need 3 cables in total. First is plugged to the amplifire send and the other to boss input. so we're sending mono signal to the boss.

Then inside boss its converted to stereo, plug 2 cables on both output left and right on boss. The end of the cables go to amplifire's return left and right.

Though I did download amplifire's software it won't start without the actual unit sad.gif unfortunatly for the software side of things we'll have to depend on the amplifire forum. But if you don't get any help there subscribe to https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php , its the most active guitar fx related forum on the web.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 25 2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks Mertay,

It's just when you said "To me ideally a cable from amplifire's fx send to gt100's input, then gt100's left main outs to amplifire's return. So we get stereo fx return from boss." I thought you meant just the left main out biggrin.gif now the penny has dropped. So left/right out of gt100 to left/right return of AA12.

Sorry for being such a numb nuts, I have cable routing dyslexia I think.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 25 2017, 05:39 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 25 2017, 05:57 PM
Ah a typo, my bad smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 25 2017, 09:34 PM
No worries, smile.gif I've done AA send (mono) to GT100 input and left/right out of gt100 to left/right return of AA12. I'm not getting stereo though. I did a test with two different amps on channel a and b. I don't get different sounds from each speaker.

It will be ok for now though.

Did the info from the Atomic forum tell you anything?

CHeers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 25 2017, 09:44 PM
The quote you shared is exactly what I had in mind too, our connections to me is verified and must work but my guess is its a software thing/adjustment reason that you can't get stereo.

The software adjustments written in the quote makes sense to me too but I'm really not sure what we're missing to adjust sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 25 2017, 09:47 PM
No worries, I'll shoot over to the AA forum and see what they can tell me. I'll let you know wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 26 2017, 06:01 PM
I cracked it. I hadn't got channels 1 and 2 in my Scarlett set to stereo, just dual mono.

I tried headphone out in the GT100 and that was stereo, same with AA12 and that was stereo so it had to be the interface

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:25 PM