> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2015, 02:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Your take on the Frusciante lesson is GREAT!! It sounds much more relaxed than the previous one. I think that now that you don't have the pressure of mastering it quickly, you've relaxed and recorded your best take ever at this thread!! Congratulations!!!

Interesting songs thanks! I knew this band and always found their singer so powerful! Congrats on the signed pic. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 23 2015, 09:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I am friends with Ace on Facebook for a long time, we talk a lot about guitars that's why he is doing me a signed picture for the wall next to his signature guitar wink.gif Hey, if Skunk Anansie ever tour Argentina maybe I could ask if it could be arranged for Cirse to tour with them? Or at least do a few guest spots?

Tonight I had a big break from structure and tried to come up with something for the current creativity 1 workshop, I did the Frusciante solo and the Sex Pistols lesson for 20 minutes in total but for some reason, I had loads of ideas flowing for the current boy and dog creativity workshop. I had rhythms and solos but couldn't match anything. I had a good rhythm going with chords D, A, G, then I couldn't get a solo, then I had a solo going that was like a dance, as I was thinking the lad and dog had finally found home after getting lost, but I couldn't come up with a rhythm. Then I had another and called it "where do we go now?" as I imagined them tired and weary trying to get home but lost. My mind was exploding with ideas but nothing was good enough to save. I think it did me good in a way, kind of like having a long hot bath after a hard day working with heavy loads smile.gif

I'll try to get something tomorrow, it's my last chance as I am going to Nerja in Spain until October 3rd. I may be working very late though sad.gif

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2015, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Playing with them would be amazing! Sure, feel free to put him in contact! Maybe we can do some kind of collab too. smile.gif

About the creativity ideas! Wou! You can create a whole album with all those ideas! It would be good if you can at least record some of them, some crafts to have this ideas ready to be worked in the future. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 24 2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks Gab,

Please check PM.

I've done my final take until October 3rd as I'm in Spain, I've also put it into the REC, I have to say REC button syndrome came to haunt me again but I have to do it more and more. I'm not too bad when I do it for you but when I know it's going to the judging panel I get scared laugh.gif
At 0:24 it ALWAYS sound like I am late and rush to catch up BUT when I play my piece along with yours it sounds very very close. Is there a possible reason why I hear this on my own piece?

I'll be in touch whilst in Spain wink.gif

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 24 2015, 09:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2015, 03:02 PM
Instructor
Goo job mate! Yeah, that moment at 00:24 is the main problem. The first note of this phrase is played upbeat and that's why you are having problems starting the phrase. You need to practice playing up beat with metronome and also over the backing track.

The exercise would be something like this:

Attached Image

Attached File  Phil_ex.gp5 ( 1.56K ) Number of downloads: 89

Your playing is good on this one, it's a bit more relaxed on the previous take (without video) but it's just a matter of REC practice. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 26 2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks Gab,
Don't forget I'm on holiday this week in Nerja, Spain. I'll be on that upbeat refinement as soon as I get back. I'm currently reading The Practice of Practice by Jonathan Harnum and it is very very good. Possibly better than the Effortless Mastery book. It explains not only how to practice but also what happens within the brain when practising, I find these explanations even more encouraging because it makes you really realise that you need to slow down until you play with no mistakes because the brain does something to the neurons that reinforce what you practise and it doesn't know if you are practising with or without errors. I'm only 20% into the book but so far it is really good. It also explains about the differences in brain structure with different preconceptions about talent being genetically given or earned through practise and that state can be changed.
I recommend it for students at any level and instructors too. Everyone can learn from this book.

Cheers buddy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 27 2015, 10:18 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 27 2015, 04:55 PM
Instructor
Awesome!! I'll definitely get this book. Thanks for the quick review. smile.gif

Enjoy it and keep on sharing the knowledge that you are getting.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 3 2015, 08:51 PM
OK Gab,

Flew back into UK this afternoon, got straight onto practising once all the unpacking etc was done. I'm having a little difficulty with the bar where I came in too late. I know I didn't play it correctly but I am failing to see that it starts on the upbeat. We are talking about the same bar aren't we? I've played it in GP5 at 25% witht he metronome on and also in my DAW with your playing and slowed it right down with the metronome on and in all cases it sounds to me like the first G is played right on the beat. In case I am getting confused I've put the bar that I am thinking about below.
e|-----------------------------------------------|
B|---8-5-8--5---5--------------------------------|
G|------------7----7b(8)7rb-5---------5-4--------|
D|----------------------------7-----5-----5/-7---|
A|--------------------------------7--------------|
E|------------------------------8----------------|

Please correct me if I am wrong but I'm a little confused if we are talking about the same bar (24 seconds into my last REC take). laugh.gif

I've just started reading a brilliant book, it's called "Rewire Your Brain" by john B. Arden Ph.D. A bit like the last book I read; "The Practice of Practice by Jonathan Harnum" it explains about neuroplasticity, what I like about this kind of book is that it makes you realise that even though some seem to have been born with more natural talent than others, you CAN alter your brain by practising. It isn't just a case of repeating something and you get better, it's a case of repeating something CORRECTLY makes your brain alter its state to repeat the correct motions more easily. Amazing stuff. "Rewire Your Brain" isn't focused on music but it does mention it. I am only 10% in but it looks very very promising to be helpful.

Cheers Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2015, 02:02 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, yes, we are talking about the same part. It starts at the upbeat, check out this image:

Attached Image

and this is the guitar pro file with some writing details fixed: Attached File  John_Frusciante.gp5 ( 2.61K ) Number of downloads: 86

Please let me know if it's clear now.

About the book, these last 3 books agree on a same idea about practicing. They give different reasons but the idea is similar, practice at your own tempo, but playing perfectly, without errors.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 5 2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks Gab,
I will check later. Am I getting confused with terminology? I consider the upbeat to be when your foot gets to the top of its stroke when tapping it, like on the "&" in 1&2&3&4&.
When I listen in DAW or GP the first note is on the metronome click.
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor
You are not confused, it's exactly like you described and that's what happening with this lick and what I'm showing on the screen. That's why I wrote 1, 2, 3, 4, and marked the upbeat between 3 and 4 (it's the &) where the lick starts.

Let me know if it makes sense.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 5 2015, 07:12 PM
Thanks Gab,

I actually think I am going insane!!! wacko.gif !!! I have just come into my music room and without even listening to your example I put Reaper on and played your video track along with the metronome and I can hear perfectly that the first note is on the offbeat/upbeat. I then put the old GP5 on and heard exactly the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First note on the upbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For some reason yesterday I was hearing the note at the exact same time as the metronome click. I feel so very stupid now sad.gif I just can't see how it was sounding like that. I was even listening at 25% speed and, BANG! the first note was right on the click yesterday. It's impossible that it can be like that but it was, unless I had some weird kind of jet lag huh.gif I would have bet my house, my car even my wife wink.gif that the first note was on the down beat. Very very strange.
Sorry for wasting your time mate unsure.gif
By the way, sorry to tell you this but the third bar in the new GP5 file is incorrect as it is a copy of bar 1 wink.gif

Re the books: I am finding it helping me to practice properly by knowing that actual physical changes are happening within the brains and its neurons. You may find it strange but it is helping. Also, "The Practice Of Practice" has some good pointers about overcoming difficult parts, one being "chaining and back chaining", I shall definitely be using that. Also about maximising you practice time. One girl learnt a complex piece in 6 months with only 2 minutes per day.

Here is tonight's go at the Frusciante lesson.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/john-frusciante-05102015

Ear training assignment 12 answers.

1: Maj
2: Maj
3: Min
4: Maj
5: Min
6: Min
7: Maj
8: Min
9: Min
10: Maj

Also started working properly on the Sex Pistols lesson. Am I allowed to be as sloppy as Mr Jones? laugh.gif

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 6 2015, 07:29 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 6 2015, 02:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 5 2015, 03:12 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I actually think I am going insane!!! wacko.gif !!! I have just come into my music room and without even listening to your example I put Reaper on and played your video track along with the metronome and I can hear perfectly that the first note is on the offbeat/upbeat. I then put the old GP5 on and heard exactly the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First note on the upbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For some reason yesterday I was hearing the note at the exact same time as the metronome click. I feel so very stupid now sad.gif I just can't see how it was sounding like that. I was even listening at 25% speed and, BANG! the first note was right on the click yesterday. It's impossible that it can be like that but it was, unless I had some weird kind of jet lag huh.gif I would have bet my house, my car even my wife wink.gif that the first note was on the down beat. Very very strange.
Sorry for wasting your time mate unsure.gif
By the way, sorry to tell you this but the third bar in the new GP5 file is incorrect as it is a copy of bar 1 wink.gif

Here is tonight's go at the Frusciante lesson.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/john-frusciante-05102015

Hi mate! Finally we agree with the upbeat!! biggrin.gif

The lick sounds good now! Great job! There are some little timing issues along the lesson and also, the bend at 00:33 is not reaching the correct pitch. Other than that, this is great! Just focus again on these two details and it will be a winner take! smile.gif

Re the books: I am finding it helping me to practice properly by knowing that actual physical changes are happening within the brains and its neurons. You may find it strange but it is helping. Also, "The Practice Of Practice" has some good pointers about overcoming difficult parts, one being "chaining and back chaining", I shall definitely be using that. Also about maximising you practice time. One girl learnt a complex piece in 6 months with only 2 minutes per day.

Awesome! That should be really motivating! I'm curious about the 2 minutes for 6 months method... how was it?

Ear training assignment 12 answers.

Good job with the Ear training. There are only two wrong ones, please re-check it.

Also started working properly on the Sex Pistols lesson. Am I allowed to be as sloppy as Mr Jones?

haha no, you can be as legendary as him but nos as sloppy. tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks Gab.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 6 2015, 02:00 PM) *
Awesome! That should be really motivating! I'm curious about the 2 minutes for 6 months method... how was it?

I got it wrong, it was 6 WEEKS. (see your PM)

Good job with the Ear training. There are only two wrong ones, please re-check it.

1: Min (corrected)
4: Min (corrected)

I find it harder when I've been told some are wrong as I am second guessing everything rolleyes.gif

haha no, you can be as legendary as him but nos as sloppy. tongue.gif

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 6 2015, 08:39 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2015, 01:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 6 2015, 04:38 PM) *
1: Min (corrected)
4: Min (corrected)

I find it harder when I've been told some are wrong as I am second guessing everything rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

mm you fixed intervals that were right on the previous answers.. please check it out again.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 7 2015, 01:11 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 7 2015, 01:34 PM
Thanks Gab,

This ear training is weird. You can be sure one day but not the next laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 7 2015, 09:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2015, 01:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 7 2015, 09:34 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

This rear training is weird. You can be sure one day but not the next laugh.gif

Always remember... we work every day, but progress shows from time to time. This is part of the natural training and learning. Don't worry about irregular results. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 7 2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your encouragement Gab smile.gif

Ok I'm struggling here. There are some that I can't really make my mind up about, each time I listen I think, "hmmmm, is that a flattened third or not?" I have to admit there is a lot of guesswork at this moment.

7: Min ("corrected")
9: Maj ("corrected")

Tonight's Frusciante attempt. I can hear my timing is out in some places but ONLY when I play it back against your track. I guess that skill will come eventually.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/john-frusciante-07102015

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 7 2015, 09:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2015, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

Intervals 8 and 9 are wrong, the other ones are perfect. Listen to them again, and try to notice why you get confused.

Frusciante's take still needs adjustments, give it more days of practice and don't forget to be precise with your bends pitches.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 8 2015, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 8 2015, 03:57 PM) *
Hi Phil!

Intervals 8 and 9 are wrong, the other ones are perfect. Listen to them again, and try to notice why you get confused.

Frusciante's take still needs adjustments, give it more days of practice and don't forget to be precise with your bends pitches.

Thanks Gab,

So correct is:

7: Min
8: Maj

I'm a little confused because I got #9 as a Min in my first attempt. For some weird reason #8 is very hard to distinguish as Major or Minor to my ears unsure.gif

I'll practice the Frusciante lesson until Sunday and then give you a video if that's ok?

Did you get the PM "Chaining and Back Chaining"?

Thank you for your help Gab. wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 9 2015, 01:33 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:43 PM