2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ascending Minor Scale Run, Quick Licks #5 (Alternate Picking Ascending Scale Run)
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2017, 03:39 AM
GMC:er
ASCENDING MINOR SCALE RUN (Alternate Picking)

INTRO:

This lick is an ascending minor scale run. It travels up between three positions of the Minor Scale. It's important to palm mute this as you play it. It gives the lick a percussive vibe and adds to the shreddy nature of the lick. The "trick" to this lick is striking the third note no each string TWICE. We are playing three notes per string in this lick, and the last note of each three note group must be picked twice in order to play the lick properly. Don't worry about playing this fast at first. Just worry about trying to get the picking pattern right. The speed will come as you practice the lick.

Here is the tablature. As always, start SLOW, don't worry about playing this fast. Just focus on playing it CLEAN Speed is a byproduct of precision. Just like previous quick licks, this lick works as a warmup, practice and solo lick. Try to get to playing it as quickly as possible. Don't over stress on getting it just right, or fast enough. This is just about learning this picking pattern. Once you have it, you can apply it to every scale you ever learn!
Attached Image

Attached File  Quick_Licks__5.gp5 ( 1.79K ) Number of downloads: 138

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This (as with Lick #4) is from our recent GABE BRIT METAL COLLAB! This is THE LAST IN THE SERIES. So you can play all of the past 4 licks in one solo and badge up through all of them if you have fallen a pinch behind!

Attached File  British_Metal_Collab_V_Backing_by_Darius.mp3 ( 2.59MB ) Number of downloads: 161

BTW:
This picking pattern is NOT EASY so don't beat yourself up if it seems challenging. Just play it one note at a time. That's all I'm looking for. Showing that you can do the picking with the scale smile.gif

WARM UP LICK:
This lick uses the picking pattern on just two strings to get your fingers used to playing it. Give it a whirl!
Attached Image
Attached File  Quick_Licks__5warmup.gp5 ( 1.54K ) Number of downloads: 131

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2017, 03:11 AM
I really hope this lick isn't too crazy. PLEASE NOTE: NO SPEED REQUIREMENT AT ALL!!!
No points given for speed. You can play it at 10 bpm as long as you play it well smile.gif These licks are meant to be learned quickly, but then kept in your bag of tricks and worked on over time. They will all take time to master. The longer you can stick with each one, the better. This one is a method of picking that honestly took me over a year to be able to play at speed. Yup. A full year and change just to pick this one pattern on one string. Then I started adding strings. It's so easy to mess this up as soon as you put any speed on it. So don't worry about the speed. It will come, in time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 29 2017, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2017, 02:11 AM
One Brave GMCer so far!!

Well done! It's great to see folks taking these lick and making them their own. You did some very creative work on that first lick in adding something to it each time you went through a new rotation. I also like what you did with the ascending scale! You are using very good technique in terms of your picking and fretting. Also, you are playing on a 22 fret guitar, so you don't have the same amount of fret board that folks with 24 fret guitars have. Quick question, what gauge strings are you using? It looks like your having to use a good bit of force. Are those .9 or .10 gauge? I've often swapped between .9 and .8 gauge sets just to see what feels best on a given guitar. On some guitars I end up liking the .08 sets better. They are certainly not for everyone, some folks feel that using light gauges strings makes your hand weaker. I've found the opposite to be true in that it allows me to play for longer with less fatigue but to each his own. If you have not tried a light set, might be worth a go next time you change strings As for this one, you nailed and you just won the STAR OF HONOR For completing all of the Missions thus far. Congrats you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Nov 29 2017, 11:39 AM) *
Hey Sarge!! Here are my next round of quick licks, 4 and 5, over the british metal collab. I love quick licks, it lets me be creative and learn some licks for later use as well!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Dec 2 2017, 11:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi here

This is my quick and dirty take

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2017, 09:53 PM
Well done!!! You are one of two people who had what it took to give this one a shot. I know this is a tough lick and very tough to play fast. Keep it in your arsenal of licks. Once you get more comfy playing it at speed it can make any asending scale sound very shreddy. That double pick on the last note is the trick/key to the whole thing. It's tough to play fast at first, but it gets easier over time. You are showing good technique here on all fronts per usual. I"m glad to see you taking on these harder licks and just going for it!! The next one will be a departure from what we normally do in that it will be a Arpeggio slide lick. I think you are ready for it!! As for this one, you killed it and ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

P.S. You remain one of the Holders of the STAR OF HONOR and now you have company! SID THE KID is also a bearer of the Star. You still retain the distinction of being the only GMCer ever to earn it in all three categoreis.
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Dec 2 2017, 06:16 AM) *
Hi here

This is my quick and dirty take

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 2 2017, 09:53 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2017, 11:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Not that I'll ever get it but what's the Star of honour?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 3 2017, 02:36 AM
For the QUICK LICKS badge, it's given to a GMCer that completes every single quick licks challenge. You can complete them all in any order at any time. There are no rules as to how or when. Once you have completed them all, you get the star smile.gif We currently have two people with the Star. Sid and Fzalfa. Fzalafa has the start of Honor in all three badges. He's the only one to ever get it. IN the other two badges, it's given for highest ranking member in terms of number of missions/lessons/challenges completed. He has the highest rank in both of the other badge ranked challenges. So there is no reason you can't get the star in quick licks, just complete them all smile.gif There are only 6 of them in total after I put up todays.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2017, 06:44 PM) *
Not that I'll ever get it but what's the Star of honour?

+Quote Post
n3m57
Dec 11 2017, 09:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Sarge :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 11 2017, 10:05 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 12 2017, 07:01 AM
Now you are just showing off!! smile.gif But it's ok smile.gif First you nail the lick, then "CRAZY GO NUTS" which I really like. Very nice combo and it all fits perfectly. It's all in time, it's all in key the tone is there, no extra string noise, pro level playing. Just plain Killed it. Once you start trying this pattern on other scales I think you are really gonna dig it. You clearly have a good handle on it. I'd say try it in solo work as soon as possible.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 11 2017, 05:05 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2017, 10:51 PM
BTW, NICE IBBY! I just came back to watch it and you in action again smile.gif She really is a lovely axe.
Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 11 2017, 05:05 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 1 2018, 03:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 30 2017, 10:51 PM) *
BTW, NICE IBBY! I just came back to watch it and you in action again smile.gif She really is a lovely axe.
Todd

She's a beauty to look at and play. By the way, I think you missed n3m57's take smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 1 2018, 04:29 PM
My apologies! It looks like i did miss your take. Very sorry. Please feel free to shoot me a personal message when you put up a take so I don't miss it smile.gif Let's review!

I really like what you did here adding the keyboard as another layer. It works well with the composition and then you expand on the idea a bit by going other places on the neck. You have the double strike on the last note down very well. Try this on every scale you know and see if you can keep pushing the metronome. Once you reach a certain point it will sound like you are shredding your brains out when you are really only playing at roughly have your full speed. Isolate one or two strings to work on the picking technique and then add more strings.

In short you killed it and

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (n3m57 @ Dec 11 2017, 04:23 PM) *
Hi Sarge :

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 12 2018, 12:07 AM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2018, 02:56 AM
NAILED IT!! The key to this lick is playing it right, not playing it fast. Fast is something that happens the more you play it. You nailed it. The double strike on the last note is the entire point of this lick. It's purpose is to teach your fingers a four note strike pattern that synchs up to a 3 note finger pattern. This makes it sound like you are playing four notes per string even though you are only playing three. You can use this picking pattern on any scale you like. Add this to your practice routine andwarm ups. Before you know it, your speed will quadruple!

In other words you just ..

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 11 2018, 07:07 PM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 8 2018, 08:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here's my attempt at #5 buddy.

https://youtu.be/vHpEN1BA37g

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2018, 10:46 PM
Nice!!! This is a tough one because of the "double strike" picking bit. Once you get used to this, it's a great way to make your scale runs sound like they are full of more notes than they actually are. Try to use this on every scale you normally play. Work it in to your normal practice sessions. It's something that can work on literally any scale based lick so it's very handy smile.gif
You have good technique on display here. Good synch, good muting, clean strikes, it's all there. It's great to see your hard work paying off. You have very solid foundational technique and it's just a matter of repetition from that point on! You've got this one and you just...
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

keep it up! you've got great momentum going!
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 8 2018, 03:57 PM) *
Here's my attempt at #5 buddy.

https://youtu.be/vHpEN1BA37g

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 3 2018, 06:00 PM
Learning Roadie
lick #5

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2018, 10:17 PM
BINGO!! It's the double strike at the end of each 3 note grouping that throws folks off. Not so here. Burned through it like a champ. Didn't even break a sweat! From what I can see your right andl left hands are having no trouble talking to each other and you have this one well in hand. These are almost too easy!! I'm gonna have to start making these more challenging as you just ..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 3 2018, 01:00 PM) *
lick #5

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 2 2019, 12:58 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:31 PM