Question For Those Own, Or Has Regularly Played A 7-string
mhskeide
Dec 13 2009, 09:07 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I`m very close to ordering myself a seven string from ebay which will be my shred axe. But say I`m gonna play a song which is written for six strings...which is a pretty common scenario. does the B-string come in the way often or is it just a case of getting used to it?

I`ve already played a 5-string bass for a long time, but I don`t do much chords or shred on the bass, so dunno if it`s comparable smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frederik
Dec 13 2009, 09:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
cant u just mute it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Dec 13 2009, 10:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I've found it easy enough just to ignore it, or even add it in if appropriate. I tend to play the 6-string more but only because it's a better quality guitar, not because of the extra string. The wider neck of a 7-string does give it a different feel, but again it's something that you get used to.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 13 2009, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
trust me on this one, you get used to it.

i have yet to find myself a good deal on craigslist for a 7 string, or i would have had one by now. at first it does take some getting used to, but once you do get used to it, it feels right. and i bet you will get used to it fast!

7 strings are just plain fun guitars to have...even if you are not a heavy guitar player, that low low low end stuff is fun to bust out every now and then wink.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 13 2009, 10:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Takes you an hour or two to get used to Seven strings and after that you play like on a 6 string

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 13 2009, 10:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, ZakkWylde is right. You'll get used to it in no time smile.gif It's like playing some music and not use the 6th string. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ibanex
Dec 14 2009, 10:19 AM
I never played a 7string-guitar before but I could imagine that playing 6-string shaped chords with fast strumming patterns is a lot harder on a 7string, because you have to mute that thick low-B string.
Just a thought.

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Dec 14 2009, 01:48 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Ibanex @ Dec 14 2009, 10:19 AM) *
I never played a 7string-guitar before but I could imagine that playing 6-string shaped chords with fast strumming patterns is a lot harder on a 7string, because you have to mute that thick low-B string.
Just a thought.

Well regarding that... I would take 7 string as a 6 string tuned to B.. and regarding say E min chord, it would be as hard, as playing A min IMO.
Not that I ever held 7 string in my life...

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 14 2009, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Dec 13 2009, 10:40 PM) *
Yeah, ZakkWylde is right. You'll get used to it in no time smile.gif It's like playing some music and not use the 6th string. smile.gif

there you said it,

after playing the 7 string for too long you have to get used to the 6 string again biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Dec 14 2009, 04:17 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2009, 01:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 14 2009, 04:17 PM) *
there you said it,

after playing the 7 string for too long you have to get used to the 6 string again biggrin.gif

Nicely put wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Dec 15 2009, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 14 2009, 04:17 PM) *
there you said it,

And you'll feel like Jason Becker when you come back to the tiny fretboard. Hahaha

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:20 PM