3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Phil's Diatonic Journey, Personal Mentor thread for Phil66
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 29 2022, 11:27 AM
GMC Founder
Hey Phil,

What an honor for me to finally become your mentoree! Believe me when I say your progress and presence here has been huuugely inspirational to many.

Can you believe some people really think you cannot make fast progress unless in your teens? Well, you are the living debunker of that 😁

Since we have already got a headstart in terms of what you would like to focus on..

I don't really have an end goal to speak of, I don't want to play in a band but I'd love to be able to write tunes, I don't understand which chords go with each other, staying in key or changing key and when to do it, I'd love to be able to understand how to jam over chord progressions, I looked at the caged system but I couldn't find a course that took small enough steps and not only that, steps that built on previous steps.

...I have a first assignment for you!

I know you are familiar with the A minor pentatonic scale:

You might also have heard that by adding just two notes to this scale we get the A minor scale (or A aeolian):

Now if we only focus on the top strings (D, G, B & E), It gets less messy:

This also allows us to play the root note on the open A string. Playing the the root note is important as these notes only sound like A minor when we hear them with the root note of A:

Task / deadline September 5th:

Try to come up with any combination of notes - as seen in the last scale diagram - which sound cool to you. I recommend you use a clean tone, and try to play several notes ringing at the same time - turning the individual notes into chords. You may arpeggiate (play a chord broken up into "one note at a time") or strum. Or do both 🤗

Practice them, and then record a video.

We will then analyse what you did, and hopefully gain insights on how your discoveries fit the broader picture.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 29 2022, 10:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank you for your kind comments Kris and thank you for taking me on as a student.

I'll try to meet the deadline, as always I'll do my very best.

Onward and upward smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 30 2022, 07:19 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome Phil, looking forward to hear what you come up with!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 30 2022, 09:00 AM
The one thing I really don't understand is, "Playing the the root note is important as these notes only sound like A minor when we hear them with the root note of A:.

Hopefully something will happen in my brain/ears as we go along.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 30 2022, 09:28 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 30 2022, 10:00 AM) *
The one thing I really don't understand is, "Playing the the root note is important as these notes only sound like A minor when we hear them with the root note of A:.

Hopefully something will happen in my brain/ears as we go along.

Cheers

The notes I showed are actually the exact same as the notes contained in the C Major scale.

So this means C Major and A minor sound exactly the same...

...NOT! 😎

So why do they sound different? -> Because the root note ( = underlying harmony) is different.

In A minor the root note is A, and in C Major the root note is C.

Question to you:
If I play the notes of A minor, while my bassist plays the C note, which scale am I hearing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 30 2022, 12:33 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 30 2022, 09:28 AM) *
So why do they sound different? -> Because the root note ( = underlying harmony) is different.

Thanks

I need to learn to recognise this though, at the moment I can't, I can sometimes recognise minor open chords but I don't recognise major or the relative minor with melodies.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 30 2022, 09:28 AM) *
Question to you:
If I play the notes of A minor, while my bassist plays the C note, which scale am I hearing?

My guess would be C but I wouldn't detect it if listening, never really got to grips with that.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 30 2022, 02:46 PM
GMC Founder
This is exactly correct!

And if you were able to detect it when listening, you wouldn’t need my help 🤗

Suffice to to say: always practice new scales with the root note as your backing harmony. If that’s not possible, then at least always start playing the scale on the root note.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 30 2022, 04:50 PM
I can randomly play all the white keys on my keyboard creating a melody and it all sounds good to my ears, I guess we could call it "multi mode transitional melody creation" laugh.gif

Seriously though, I've never understood the major/minor feel thing.

Bodily we'll get there and develop technique and other skills along the way.

I'm making a start with my first task this evening.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 31 2022, 10:30 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 30 2022, 05:50 PM) *
I can randomly play all the white keys on my keyboard creating a melody and it all sounds good to my ears, I guess we could call it "multi mode transitional melody creation" laugh.gif

You can most certainly come up with amazing melodies in the C Major scale (white keys on keyboard = C Major scale). There is no need to understand what harmonies you are playing.

But if you do understand - then you will get more control and can start reproducing your best melodies at will, in different settings and keys. And that's the kind of thing that can elevate you to a new level.

For example on your keyboard, you could try to also play the A and the E note with your left hand, two octaves lower than your improvised melody. This will make your melody sound like A minor. But if you play the C and the G note instead - it will sound like C Major.

And if you start switching between these two, it can sound even cooler 😎

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 31 2022, 11:53 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 31 2022, 10:30 AM) *
You can most certainly come up with amazing melodies in the C Major scale (white keys on keyboard = C Major scale). There is no need to understand what harmonies you are playing.

But if you do understand - then you will get more control and can start reproducing your best melodies at will, in different settings and keys. And that's the kind of thing that can elevate you to a new level.

For example on your keyboard, you could try to also play the A and the E note with your left hand, two octaves lower than your improvised melody. This will make your melody sound like A minor. But if you play the C and the G note instead - it will sound like C Major.

And if you start switching between these two, it can sound even cooler 😎

Hopefully we'll get there, I came up with some stuff that sounded good to me last night but my ears are weird. I still want to work through THIS too, I know it's way above my level but I think if I fudge through it and make it recognisable, I can only benefit from it.

My main goal when I first started (in adulthood) was to be able to play Surfing With The Alien and Always With Me Always With You, I bought the TAB book with my first guitar, put it in a drawer after half an hour realising "This ain't paint by numbers laugh.gif

Cheers, I'll get something to you very soon, just to assess where I'm at.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 31 2022, 09:07 PM
Further to my above post here is a video. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, I'm not comfortable hitting chords while playing single notes.

I guess you can advise one my next move once you've seen this. It's kinda practised improvisation and totally free time.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/T3_8DuvylvQ

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 1 2022, 08:40 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice Phil!

Not only are those some lovely melodies in the minor scale, but you also discovered two chord shapes on your own.

These two:

Attached Image

Can you confirm this "chord diagram" corresponds to what you played from 00:21? Pink color is the first shape (Am), and blue is the second (C5 shape).

I wrote the chord names in parenthesis just for you to realise you are stumbling upon new chord voicings on your own. However the names are not relevant to what we are working on now and you don't need to pay much attention to them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2022, 10:32 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 1 2022, 08:40 AM) *
Very nice Phil!

Not only are those some lovely melodies in the minor scale, but you also discovered two chord shapes on your own.

These two:

Attached Image

Can you confirm this "chord diagram" corresponds to what you played from 00:21? Pink color is the first shape (Am), and blue is the second (C5 shape).

I wrote the chord names in parenthesis just for you to realise you are stumbling upon new chord voicings on your own. However the names are not relevant to what we are working on now and you don't need to pay much attention to them.

That's correct Kris,

I was also experimenting with this chord too but my fingers wouldn't go there freely, more practice wink.gif I also played it as an arpeggio without the open D.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 1 2022, 01:11 PM
GMC Founder
Great finding Phil, in fact I would like to suggest two new shapes including the one you found now.

They might sound weird on their own, but if you pair this new blue chord with the previous blue chord it can sound very cool (same goes for the pink chords):

Attached Image

If these new shapes feel technically challenging:

* practice just the switch between them over and over. Make sure your finger, hands, arms and body are totally relaxed.

* there is no need to make a fast switch between these chords. On the contrary: dial in some extra reverb and delay, and arpeggiate these chords slooooowly and let the harmonies fill your room.

Feel free to upload a new video when you feel comfortable going between these 4 chords.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2022, 09:05 PM
Hello Kris,

Just making sure I'm on track, is this the kind of thing you want? Obviously I need to become more comfortable with moving around the scale and arpeggiating and fingering chords but hopefully this is okay for a first step.

I did notice something crop up that is extremely familiar to probably everyone here on GMC laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/oXQOQSdpn1I

Should I just noodle some more for a couple of days?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 2 2022, 08:46 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2022, 10:05 PM) *
Hello Kris,

Just making sure I'm on track, is this the kind of thing you want? Obviously I need to become more comfortable with moving around the scale and arpeggiating and fingering chords but hopefully this is okay for a first step.

I did notice something crop up that is extremely familiar to probably everyone here on GMC laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/oXQOQSdpn1I

Should I just noodle some more for a couple of days?

Cheers

Phil

Yes, if this inspires you to noodle/jam - that is a fantastic way to practice. And I can def see this triggered your imagination. Feel free to add more single note lines in between chords as well as new chord shapes.

Also, as soon as possible - try to play this with a drum beat.

But... There is now a major problem now with your scalar practicing. Can you spot it?

Spoiler:
You no longer play the root note of A (!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2022, 10:13 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 2 2022, 08:46 AM) *
Yes, if this inspires you to noodle/jam - that is a fantastic way to practice. And I can def see this triggered your imagination. Feel free to add more single note lines in between chords as well as new chord shapes.

Also, as soon as possible - try to play this with a drum beat.

But... There is now a major problem now with your scalar practicing. Can you spot it?

Spoiler:
You no longer play the root note of A (!)

I had to look at the spoiler as I couldn't think what it was but, to be honest, when I was playing I was thinking that playing the A on the high E I would be good, so does the root always have to be in the bass?

I'll find a slow drum groove and practise over that this weekend. I need to catch up with Todd's Bootcamp too.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 2 2022, 08:27 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 2 2022, 11:13 AM) *
I had to look at the spoiler as I couldn't think what it was but, to be honest, when I was playing I was thinking that playing the A on the high E I would be good, so does the root always have to be in the bass?

I'll find a slow drum groove and practise over that this weekend. I need to catch up with Todd's Bootcamp too.

Cheers

Good question!

In order to hear a new scale for what it is - then you need to either start on the root note (which is kinda boring when jamming) OR, you need to hear the root note as the underlying harmony. The later means you need to hear the root note as you are playing the other notes - which is why hitting that low A string is so convenient.

So the idea is that you first hit the low A string - then while that note is ringing - you can jam away on the thinner strings.

If you can manage this, you will be ready to explore new scales, tonalities and chords.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2022, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 2 2022, 08:27 PM) *
Good question!

In order to hear a new scale for what it is - then you need to either start on the root note (which is kinda boring when jamming) OR, you need to hear the root note as the underlying harmony. The later means you need to hear the root note as you are playing the other notes - which is why hitting that low A string is so convenient.

So the idea is that you first hit the low A string - then while that note is ringing - you can jam away on the thinner strings.

If you can manage this, you will be ready to explore new scales, tonalities and chords.

Thanks,

Before I read this, I was tonight practising by playing the open A as a drone over my improv.

I'll try to record something tomorrow, they're working on the local 4g mast though so might not be able to upload rolleyes.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2022, 08:39 PM
Sorry, not a video, but here is a take of my latest ideas. Pretty boring, but I do struggle with just a drum beat.

For some reason, SoundCloud always missed the first beat of the count in if it's at the zero point rolleyes.gif This count in is 2,3,4 wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:16 PM