2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Disrespecting The Opening Band......, Why??????
jer
Oct 14 2008, 05:45 PM
GMC:er
I just don't get it.

All too frequently when I go to shows I see/hear people talking trash to the opening band.

Why???

If you dont like what you are hearing then go outside. Come back in 45 min. Problem solved. They arent going to stop playing....

I've seen people stand with their backs to the stage and their middle fingers pointed skyward.

Yeah.... Real nice.

Of all the things you could find to protest, you pick this? Is it really that bad?

I just don't get this. You are out seeing live music. Few things are better in my opinion.

If you only came to see the headliner then go have a drink and come back later. Or just dont show up at the venue til later on.

And when you do, dont think that you are shoving your way past me either. I've been standing up here for a few hours already. But thats another topic....

I'm in the US. Is this more of a problem here than elsewhere?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
timono
Oct 14 2008, 05:49 PM
my sister went to a concert some months ago and the same thing happened there, but then again i think he deserved it, cause he was drunk, was cursing at the crowd and was really really bad.

haven't heard of it elsewhere...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
pat
Oct 14 2008, 06:09 PM
i kind of saw the opposite. i went to a reel big fish concert in cologne and the opening bands were zebrahead and generation ****. the crowd was going wild and i had a great time. but reel big fish were...kind of lame... never heard about disrespecting opening bands either

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 14 2008, 06:17 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
The only time I saw anything like that was back in the early 90's, my friends and I were at a Queensryche concert and the opening band was Warrior Soul. The were terrible, but the only disrespect I saw was when they were done, the drummer threw a drumstick out into the crowd...and someone threw it back!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
seagull
Oct 14 2008, 06:17 PM
QUOTE (pat @ Oct 14 2008, 07:09 PM) *
i kind of saw the opposite. i went to a reel big fish concert in cologne and the opening bands were zebrahead and generation ****. the crowd was going wild and i had a great time. but reel big fish were...kind of lame... never heard about disrespecting opening bands either

Zebrahead is an (kind of) established band with some hits, people would at least listen to them. smile.gif

This post has been edited by seagull: Oct 14 2008, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 14 2008, 06:41 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I was on a Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert year ago, and there were two opening bands there. One was an Australian rock band, quite known, but I don't remember the name now, second one was some kind of hip hop raper Avalon something. He was terrible. Not only did he licked himself all the time, there were two half nude ladies dancing round him, and all in all it looked terrible. What on earth was such a guy doing at a RHCP concert? Almost everyone showed middle fingers lifted in the air, or other gestures showing where is his place. He ended sooner than he should, so in some way "it worked" for the crowd.

When I was on Metallica concert this year in Chorzów, Mnemic and Machine Head were support bands, and I didn't like them, maybe even said something like "hell, when will these guys end?". I would leave the place if I could, but it would mean, that I would never get as near to the stage as I got. As You can see, leaving is not an option if You want to be near the stage.

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Oct 14 2008, 06:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 14 2008, 06:46 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I have a couple of memories of gigs I went to here in the UK that this happened, one I cant remember who the headliners were at the time but oddly I can remember the band that was playing "Black n Blue" cant remember what they were like at the time but I remember them getting a hard time off the crowd which seemed a little unfair, this would have been back in the eighties and was probably my first experience of something like this.

It happened again at a Joe Satriani gig, he had two support acts, Michael Schenker Group and Uli Jon Roth, I think Uli`s sound tech was having an off night that night??, the band sounded dreadful, however like you said, me and my friends went to the bar while others shouted "get off" blink.gif

A friend of mine was also telling me a little while back of a gig he went to and the support act was an unknown act, they recieved abuse and bottle throwing etc, that band later turned out to be "The Darkness" laugh.gif I guess the laugh was on the bottle throwers in the end?

ANyways I agree with you, so if we arnt interested in the support bands then we aim to arrive at the venue a bit later.

This post has been edited by Smells: Oct 14 2008, 06:48 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
steiner666
Oct 14 2008, 06:58 PM
i think it's stupid too. people are dumb sometimes. if i'm watching an opener and anyone in front of me is standing facing me with their back to the stage i'd shove them out of the way because they're wasting space. There have been opening bands that i haven't much liked, but i still at least TRY to get into it because, like you said, the band is going to play regardless of my opinion.. if you boo them they'll probably just play worse and put on less of a show.

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 15 2008, 03:14 AM
When I go to Metal concerts, usually the opening bands are pretty good. If they don't belong, like one of the opening bands for Paganfest which played Metalcore, well they got boo'ed because there music didn't fit what Paganfest was about. Then Vintenar played, which was also a local band, and got immense appreciation from the fans with lots of horns up, headbanging, and a few pits breaking out.

For me personally, I think local bands should know who they are playing for. If there music is out of place of what the whole concert is about, then there gonna get a wrong crowd and get boo'ed and hustled on stage.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Oct 15 2008, 03:16 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Oct 15 2008, 03:16 AM
Most of the time, I feel the opening band preforms better than the headlining band. ohmy.gif?!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2008, 04:04 AM
Instructor
This is very sad but it' usually happens. I have to say that this phenomenum has decresed a lot nowadays in Argentina. Making music here is really hard and people respects a bit more to the musicians.
However "the metal fans" are a bit more "closed", I mean they can't stand pop/comercial/non metal musicians on stage. But it usually happens when "big" non metal bands share the stage with any metal band.
I remember going to an Iron Maiden show. As it was like a Metal Fest they had an opening band that played new metal (like Deftones). When they started to play. all the people of stadium gave their shoulders to the band.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 15 2008, 04:15 AM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 14 2008, 12:41 PM) *
....there were two half nude ladies dancing round him, and all in all it looked terrible.

I am not sure that I would have felt this was a terrible thing to see.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 14 2008, 10:04 PM) *
This is very sad but it' usually happens. I have to say that this phenomenum has decresed a lot nowadays in Argentina. Making music here is really hard and people respects a bit more to the musicians.
However "the metal fans" are a bit more "closed", I mean they can't stand pop/comercial/non metal musicians on stage. But it usually happens when "big" non metal bands share the stage with any metal band.
I remember going to an Iron Maiden show. As it was like a Metal Fest they had an opening band that played new metal (like Deftones). When they started to play. all the people of stadium gave their shoulders to the band.

I just happened to see this video today, I like this band more than any recent one I have heard in awhile. Seems that the crowd sings along a lot in Argentina, I have seen that before with others. I think he liked it, even though you could not hear him well, he sang pretty well with the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjOcT6m94o...feature=related

edit: here a clearer version, but where you can't hear the crowd so much. But what strikes me is how he sang well with them. Mr. Brightside sounds good at that concert also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2361AAsqlM...feature=related

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 15 2008, 04:26 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2008, 04:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 15 2008, 12:15 AM) *
I am not sure that I would have felt this was a terrible thing to see.

I just happened to see this video today, I like this band more than any recent one I have heard in awhile. Seems that the crowd sings along a lot in Argentina, I have seen that before with others. I think he liked it, even though you could not hear him well, he sang pretty well with the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjOcT6m94o...feature=related

edit: here a clearer version, but where you can't hear the crowd so much. But what strikes me is how he sang well with them. Mr. Brightside sounds good at that concert also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2361AAsqlM...feature=related

yeah! we like to shout the songs while the bands are playing it... biggrin.gif That's why many musicians loves to come to South America... My brother (who plays the bass in Cirse with me) went to that show and he really like it.

Check the Argentinian audience shouting Megadeth! Megadeth! over the riff of Symphony of Destruction... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6UjWMffaY...feature=related

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 15 2008, 05:51 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 15 2008, 08:39 AM) *
yeah! we like to shout the songs while the bands are playing it... biggrin.gif That's why many musicians loves to come to South America... My brother (who plays the bass in Cirse with me) went to that show and he really like it.

Check the Argentinian audience shouting Megadeth! Megadeth! over the riff of Symphony of Destruction... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6UjWMffaY...feature=related

This is probably the craziest concert ive ever seen. SA Metalheads are crazy!

United For Thrash

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 15 2008, 08:06 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I agree, that's just bad manners and should not happen at a concert sad.gif

If you don't like it, go outside or do something else until the Main Band plays...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 15 2008, 07:44 PM
Instructor
It can happen that's for sure, specially if the band is not playing their best, and the difference between the opening band and headliner is big. Often it is not the bands fault, but organizers. They should pick a band that is suitable for opening, the band shouldn't be famous, but a good energetic band to warm up the crowd and get them on their feet. Sometimes organizers will purposely put lame band in front of a headliner, in order to make the headliner sound better. I think that is not fair, and in most situations, the organizers should get on the stage and get booed buy the crowd instead of musicians. There are times when they really deserve it.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 15 2008, 07:45 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
N4085B
Oct 15 2008, 08:02 PM
Hell....it even happens to Iron Maiden!!

First pelted with eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOosrK-GIQ...feature=related

Then the PA shut down in the middle of a tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJMWr5fwsy0...feature=related

Metal is a full contact sport!!!!

This post has been edited by N4085B: Oct 15 2008, 08:10 PM

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 15 2008, 08:05 PM
Dont get me started on that.

They werent booing Maiden. They were booing Sharon Osbourne and the dimwits in the other bands that she had convinced to try and wreck Maiden's show.

In the end Maiden triumphed.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Oct 15 2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it happens very often over here, mostly because the bands that come here regularly are only moderately successful, so the opening bands have little experience and are often quite bad.

Also over here, the opening bands most of the time aren't announced when you buy the ticket, so you show up and find out there is this band playing that you don't like at all, it sucks. Sometimes the only thing you can do that is fun is boo.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 17 2008, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
If you dont like the band go away or just stand there ad dont care but to show the middle finger to the band that is just awfull.......

i went to a concert and saw an artist i dident really like but i watched it for a while and then i left no big deal.

You dont have to show that you dont like a band just keep it to yourself

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:24 PM