Pull-offs Vs. Picking, What's the definite difference really?
GMC_student444
Apr 14 2008, 11:38 AM
GMC:er
Hi.
I've noticed when looking through tabs and lessons and so on that pull-offs are used where picking could be used, with similar or same effect, and vice versa. What determines what to use really?

I'm under the impression that pull-offs is the "easy" way to do it if you're not fast enough with your picking hand? Is that correct?

Of course there's other aspects to it too, like playing pull-offs/hammer-ons on low gain doesn't work as well as when you crank the gain up to 10 and of course you get a more aggressive tone when picking it.

Are there any theoretical "rules" on the subject or is it just arbitrary?

Regards.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 14 2008, 11:45 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Its just matter of taste and feeling..You can pick those notes but it will sound different..You can play a solo without vibrato or bends too but it won't be the same wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 14 2008, 11:45 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Pulling off gives a totally different feel/phrase to the notes being played than if you pick them, I wouldnt say that it was always "easier" to do it this way either.

Picking all the notes in say a fast lick will have a much "harsher" sound with more attack on all the notes, hammering on and pulling off will "accent" the notes differently, its all about what your actually after achieving with the sound of the notes you are playing to determine which to use, not the ease I`d say smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
GMC_student444
Apr 14 2008, 11:50 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Apr 14 2008, 12:45 PM) *
Pulling off gives a totally different feel/phrase to the notes being played than if you pick them, I wouldnt say that it was always "easier" to do it this way either.

Picking all the notes in say a fast lick will have a much "harsher" sound with more attack on all the notes, hammering on and pulling off will "accent" the notes differently, its all about what your actually after achieving with the sound of the notes you are playing to determine which to use, not the ease I`d say smile.gif

Ok. The reason I was saying it's "easier" is from my own experience really. I tend to do pull-offs when it's supposed to be picked, when the speed picks up. Example is when I've tried to play solos by ear and when I later look up the tab I find that I've used pull-offs rather than picking, as intended in the tab. This is simply because I don't have the speed and coordination between my hands really.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 14 2008, 11:50 AM
Get to da Chopper!
I dont find there are "rules" for this (and that usually goes for all things to do with guitar)- other than play things how you think sound good and what also feels comfortable for you.

Let's take an example- Paul Gilbert (former Mr Big/Racer X/Solo)

He is a great alternate picker- amazingly fast and competent. But, he chooses to do alot of his licks with a mixture of alternate picking and legato- because he thinks it makes it a little easier for him to play in a live situation and also because he likes the mixes of the tones created by alternate picking and hammer-ons/pulloffs.

By using both he is getting a mix of the sharp staccato attack of picking and also the smoothness legato sound of using some hammer-ons/pull-offs...this can create some cool "stand out" notes in a lick and also helps make your lick less "monotone" because of the mix of dynamics.

Just like when you speak you emphasise some words to create interest- this is the same concept but on guitar..

So, the mixing of techniques isn't neccesarily what you have to (because of a lack of great technique) but really what you think you like the sound of but also can "execute" in a live situation.

Hope that shines a little bit of light on it for you...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 14 2008, 11:56 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Pull offs and hammer on sound a bit smoother. And for that matter you could pick up speed aswell which could be a nice side effect
But I'd say whether you want to pick or pull off is entierly up to you and what style you want to adopt. If you can and want to pick every note, that's fine. If you find it easier to pick everything that's fine too.

As far as I'm concerned it's what comes out in the end that matters. And if you can get your picking to sound the same as a hammer on there's no loss. Parking front end first or reversing into the spot both gets the car parked, just differently but the purpose was met. Then if you reverse too close towards a wall or the car behind you and your trunk opens swinging the door sideways, like some stationwagons, vans and SUV's, you might want to reconcider which method is better.
unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 14 2008, 11:57 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Johnny @ Apr 14 2008, 11:50 AM) *
Ok. The reason I was saying it's "easier" is from my own experience really. I tend to do pull-offs when it's supposed to be picked, when the speed picks up. Example is when I've tried to play solos by ear and when I later look up the tab I find that I've used pull-offs rather than picking, as intended in the tab. This is simply because I don't have the speed and coordination between my hands really.

Really as Deeproots has said, theres no hard and fast rules about how you play it, a mixture of both is generally the way to go, maybe work on some alternate picking lessons to increase your picking speed, I know what you mean about learning by ear then reading the tabs, if it sounds correct and is comfortable to play and your not so into making it 100% accurate then I`d say do it your way smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 14 2008, 12:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Smells @ Apr 14 2008, 12:45 PM) *

I'm in total agreement on that it's not always easier. Concider alternate picking where a pull off/hammer on should be counted and you still do the pick movement with your hand you have to miss the string. Or even if you don't move and miss you have to count it so you don't get into the picking the opposite way to how it was supposed to be.

mind:
4/4
pick - hammer on - pick - pick
down - miss - down - up

means you shouldn't

pick - rest - pick - pick
down - rest - up - down

then you'd start off the next beat with an up pick... and then you're lost.

+Quote Post
GMC_student444
Apr 14 2008, 12:12 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Apr 14 2008, 12:57 PM) *
Really as Deeproots has said, theres no hard and fast rules about how you play it, a mixture of both is generally the way to go, maybe work on some alternate picking lessons to increase your picking speed, I know what you mean about learning by ear then reading the tabs, if it sounds correct and is comfortable to play and your not so into making it 100% accurate then I`d say do it your way smile.gif

I'd say it's a mixture of both those. Of course I want to play it "correct" but the reason I've played it "incorrect" from the start was that I thought it sounded as it should. Two angles to a common goal. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 14 2008, 01:03 PM) *
I'm in total agreement on that it's not always easier. Concider alternate picking where a pull off/hammer on should be counted and you still do the pick movement with your hand you have to miss the string. Or even if you don't move and miss you have to count it so you don't get into the picking the opposite way to how it was supposed to be.

mind:
4/4
pick - hammer on - pick - pick
down - miss - down - up

means you shouldn't

pick - rest - pick - pick
down - rest - up - down

then you'd start off the next beat with an up pick... and then you're lost.

Yeah, for sure. I'm not skipping on the picking technique just because I can't do it fast enough. I keep that in mind all the time for that exact reason. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 14 2008, 06:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Neither technique is substitute for the other...Overall mixing of all of them will give you feeling and personal touch in your playing.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2008, 07:54 PM
Instructor
Legato technique is not easier then alternate picking, it is just different. Everything should be practiced equally.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
at lights end
Apr 14 2008, 07:58 PM
you can't play legato with a pick.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 15 2008, 06:51 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (at lights end @ Apr 14 2008, 02:58 PM) *
you can't play legato with a pick.

Since when?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:30 PM