2 Pages V   1 2 >  
P90 Replacement
Phil66
May 3 2016, 07:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I have an Epiphone '56 Gold Top with P90's in, I'd like to swap them out for some kind of humbuckers for a classic rock tone. Are there any available that will fit without any routing?

Cheers wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 3 2016, 07:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Generally,

Any mini-bucker should retro-fit in a P90 route or at least every one I have worked on has.

Best thing to do would be to get the measurements and compare them to your cavity to be safe.

smile.gif

EDIT:

Unless it is a dog-ear mount, then you run into some problems.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 3 2016, 07:58 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 3 2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks Chris,

Mine are like this one. I haven't got it with me at the moment as a friend has it so I can't take them out. I am assuming they aren't the dog ear ones due to those two screw holes, (On my guitar, the screws are there, obviously smile.gif )

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 3 2016, 11:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 3 2016, 07:45 PM) *
Thanks Chris,

Mine are like this one. I haven't got it with me at the moment as a friend has it so I can't take them out. I am assuming they aren't the dog ear ones due to those two screw holes, (On my guitar, the screws are there, obviously smile.gif )

Cheers

Mini-buckers shouldn't give you a problem then.

I've swapped P90's (no dog ears) for mini buckers before without any routing.

Definitely best to compare measurements though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 4 2016, 06:32 AM
GMC:er
not many options but dimarzio makes some HB sized p90's; http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar

Seymour Duncan also makes these but probably custom shop, they do have a good variety of p90's though like noiseless/highoutput stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 4 2016, 06:43 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 3 2016, 01:24 PM) *
Hello folks,

I have an Epiphone '56 Gold Top with P90's in, I'd like to swap them out for some kind of humbuckers for a classic rock tone. Are there any available that will fit without any routing?

Cheers wink.gif

Look on Ebay under mini humbuckers. I would get one used and at a good price and see what you think swapping out one.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 4 2016, 07:06 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 4 2016, 06:49 AM
A lot of really 'classic' rock tones come from P-90s.

Leslie West of Mountain - misissippi queen and nantucket sleigh ride.
Pete Townshend - Who, Live at Leeds
Joey Ramone - Ramones
Mike Ness - social distortion
David Gilmore - another brick in the wall pt.2 solo
Tony Iommi - Sabbath 1

Maybe just get some high quality p90s. Lollar, Fralin or Duncan would all be great.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 4 2016, 06:54 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 4 2016, 12:49 AM) *

Joey Ramone - Ramones
Tony Iommi - Sabbath 1

Maybe just get some high quality p90s. Lollar, Fralin or Duncan would all be great.

No doubt, but I tell you, I have the Fender, an American model they used to make of a Tele, with a humbucker at the neck and the standard single pole at the bridge. It is a special guitar, I mean it is not for everything, but when you play both pickups in one of the available configurations, it really sounds better than any sound to my taste you can get out of a standard tele.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 4 2016, 07:07 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 4 2016, 08:43 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 4 2016, 06:49 AM) *

Joey Ramone - Ramones
Tony Iommi - Sabbath 1

Hmmmm maybe I should experiment with amp settings a bit more.

Thanks folks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 4 2016, 03:35 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 4 2016, 07:43 AM) *
Hmmmm maybe I should experiment with amp settings a bit more.

Thanks folks

I like good drive on the amp and soloing with a bridge p90, the breakup is really cool.

A friend of mine was interested to try p90's, he first tested a cheapo PRS and hated it but loved another PRS which was very closely priced. P90's are often refered to having a very flat character, flat is probably the wrong word but they reflect the tone of the guitar better than other types of PU's.

That said, A bad p90 can be really boring/dull while a good one can be unexpectedly versatile. If you can find a chance demo some other guitars that have good P90's on them then you'll decide for what to swap.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 4 2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I think I need to learn how to use these pickups. When I get it back on Friday I'll record some simple stuff for you to hear the quality, or lack of, with these pickups on my guitar.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 4 2016, 09:17 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 4 2016, 08:10 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

I think I need to learn how to use these pickups. When I get it back on Friday I'll record some simple stuff for you to hear the quality, or lack of, with these pickups on my guitar.

Cheers smile.gif

Cool, treat them just like humbuckers while playing but only not with insane gain biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 6 2016, 08:27 PM
OK, I remember why I don't like these. They get a lot of hum and also interference, at times I can hear things like an old transistor radio being tuned in sad.gif

Here is a bit of noodling, starting with the bridge, then central, then neck.

Peavey ValveKing head, Harley Benton 1x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30, SM57 centre of speaker.
Amp settings, drive channel, Gain:4, Bass:4, Mid:7, Treble: 6, Reverb: 3, Vari-Class central, Master vol 2.3ish

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/p90-test

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 6 2016, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 6 2016, 07:27 PM) *
OK, I remember why I don't like these. They get a lot of hum and also interference, at times I can hear things like an old transistor radio being tuned in sad.gif

Here is a bit of noodling, starting with the bridge, then central, then neck.

Peavey ValveKing head, Harley Benton 1x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30, SM57 centre of speaker.
Amp settings, drive channel, Gain:4, Bass:4, Mid:7, Treble: 6, Reverb: 3, Vari-Class central, Master vol 2.3ish

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/p90-test

I noticed your playing is getting better by the way biggrin.gif

To get rid of that noise either you'll need to change the PU's to noiseless type or send it to a luthier so he can fix/increase the guitars shielding. But if the shielding of the guitar is weak then even noiseless pickups will produce some amounth of noise.

I really liked the tone by the way, if its not a problem for you visiting the luthier again it might be a good idea to show him the guitar so he can inspect it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 6 2016, 09:07 PM
Cheers Mertay.

Yeah I kinda liked the tone but hated the hum.

Thanks for your comment about my playing, I just sat down and noodled some notes around with nothing in mind laugh.gif

The Keeley compressor was running too wink.gif

I'm going to get my Ace back next week, then I want my Anniversary setup with a fret dress.

Cheers Mate

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 6 2016, 09:22 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 7 2016, 09:18 AM
Learning Roadie
P90s will always be a bit noisy, but have a great tone. Phil X is a huge fan of them and Arcane pickups produce a Phil X signature P90

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 7 2016, 11:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Just an FYI:

Shielding increases capacitance - slightly reducing clarity.

Whether or not it's a noticeable amount varies person to peson (ear to ear).

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 7 2016, 11:42 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 7 2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks folks.
That's the first time I've played that guitar through my Peavey Valveking head and I have to say I did like the tone.
smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
May 7 2016, 12:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
totally! dude those p90's sound great smile.gif
my next / next guitar is def going to have P90s.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 7 2016, 09:05 PM
Thanks Scott,

The hum is a killer though, think I need a noise gate, Mertay, any ideas?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:06 AM