2 Pages V   1 2 >  
String Prices, Are too damn high
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 05:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I don't know what its like for everyone else but string prices here in the land down under are HUGE at the moment I'm paying like $20 bucks a pack for some Elixer nanoweb strings. Thats twice as much as the US

Whats it like for everyone else. Is there anything in your country that seems to cost huge amounts more than anywhere else?

I buy so much music stuff online to save as much as I can but strings are one of those things I cannot order online. So annoying. Almost like extortion

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 1 2014, 06:31 AM
GMC:er
Egad!!! I guess shipping half way across the world gets pricey sad.gif Forgive me if this is silly but do you have amazon.com shipping to where you are? I use "amazon prime" which makes all shipping FREE!! Saves me wads on shipping and lets me get great prices in amazon market place.

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 1 2014, 12:42 AM) *
I don't know what its like for everyone else but string prices here in the land down under are HUGE at the moment I'm paying like $20 bucks a pack for some Elixer nanoweb strings. Thats twice as much as the US

Whats it like for everyone else. Is there anything in your country that seems to cost huge amounts more than anywhere else?

I buy so much music stuff online to save as much as I can but strings are one of those things I cannot order online. So annoying. Almost like extortion

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 06:46 AM
Yeah got all that but none of them ship strings to Australia. Must be some sort of import agreement or something.

Music equipment as a whole is exspensive here. I've even bought guitars online before just because it is way cheaper and I figure if I don't like it i could pretty much sell it 2nd hand the same price I bought it for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Oct 1 2014, 07:07 AM
Mith,

I just did a quick calculation, and for the US Postal mail to Australia, up to 4 lbs, is $23.50 US.

You could get a lot of packs of strings in that box...

I'm sure I, or some other member would be able to help you out and save you some money. If you were to buy in bulk, the small shipping cost would be more than made up for in your overall savings.

An 8 pack of the Elixer Nanoweb strings you mentioned would only be $69.99 US at Strings and Beyond... And they frequently have sales, so I'm sure it could be even less...

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/el8panacoelg.html

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 07:21 AM
Might be a idea, Messing around with string gauges at the moment. so far its 9-42 on standard and 1/2 step down guitars. 9-46 on my drop D guitars and still messing about with what will be best for Drop C on my mockingbird pro x.

Should wait until they have a sale and then buy a discusting amount of strings lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2014, 10:29 AM
Instructor
Usually, Elixir strings, although they may seem as more expensive, are actually cheaper on the long run as a pack lasts for at least 3 months or maybe even 4 of heavy usage.

Elixir - You pay 20 bucks each 3-4 months - 60 bucks a year
How often would you change a pack of normal strings - Ernie Ball let's say - about 7 bucks, but you have to change them very often if you want your axe to be in tip top shape and you'll most likely have a pack each month - that makes 7 x 12 = 84 bucks.

That's my maths, but maybe it's just mine - what do you think? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 11:11 AM
yeah thats bout right, but if I can get them at US prices that 1/2 the price yet again lol

Its why I switched to elixirs. That and I hate doing setups because I get way to anal about it and try get everything stupidly spot on so with elixirs I have to do it less.

Hell with the new custom I will be putting stainless steel frets in so I'll never have to fret level ever lol. Also hoping they will stay polished longer too.

And even Ernie ball are like around 12 bucks here

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 1 2014, 11:17 AM
What about strings made in Australia?

http://www.jvbstrings.com/strings.htm

I had to search to find the link but I think there might be 1-2 more small company that make strings there

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 1 2014, 11:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 11:26 AM
End of the day there is a middle man importer adding something like 70% to the cost of strings in Australia which to me is a little disgusting. There are alot of talk about how local shops are struggling because of online shopping but with the mark ups its hard to justify going to them.

I would always rather buy stuff from a local store and I would be happy to pay 10-15% more than if I got it online because I want to support them and the convenience is great but its hard to support a local industry thats blantly ripping you off and then has the audacity to complain about customer loyalty

Ok there is my little rant lol

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 1 2014, 06:17 PM) *
What about strings made in Australia?

http://www.jvbstrings.com/strings.htm

I had to search to find the link but I think there might be 1-2 more small company that make strings there

Yeah I looked at them at one stage but there are alot of guys that mention getting them and they are kinked right out of the packet. Would surprise me if they are just re packaged cheap Chinese one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2014, 06:53 AM
I think I may have the solution smile.gif ALIBABA!!!!

They have free shipping even on many international destinations!! Here is a page full of strings, most of which have free shipping.

http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/string-e...&isViewCP=y

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 1 2014, 01:46 AM) *
Yeah got all that but none of them ship strings to Australia. Must be some sort of import agreement or something.

Music equipment as a whole is exspensive here. I've even bought guitars online before just because it is way cheaper and I figure if I don't like it i could pretty much sell it 2nd hand the same price I bought it for.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2014, 08:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 1 2014, 10:11 AM) *
yeah thats bout right, but if I can get them at US prices that 1/2 the price yet again lol

Its why I switched to elixirs. That and I hate doing setups because I get way to anal about it and try get everything stupidly spot on so with elixirs I have to do it less.

Hell with the new custom I will be putting stainless steel frets in so I'll never have to fret level ever lol. Also hoping they will stay polished longer too.

And even Ernie ball are like around 12 bucks here

So do I understand correctly that the elixirs are 20 bucks while EBs are 12 bucks? Well, that means you are even more in advantage, right? Based on my calculations above, of course wink.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 2 2014, 08:20 AM
That's the reason I told my aunt to bring a ton of strings and picks for me biggrin.gif I have TONS of picks, and since I am always careful with them and try not to lose them, I own almost all of them still, even after a year. Not to mention I got 12 packets of strings smile.gif 10-52s smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 2 2014, 08:41 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 2 2014, 03:12 PM) *
So do I understand correctly that the elixirs are 20 bucks while EBs are 12 bucks? Well, that means you are even more in advantage, right? Based on my calculations above, of course wink.gif

Yeah elixers will always be the way to go, I love them. And now that I've used them for a little over the year I actually prefure the coating on them to non coated strings

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 2 2014, 04:01 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I also use elixirs, and yes they are expensive, but given the time I get from each set (they never, ever rust), I believe I'm saving money cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 2 2014, 08:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I feel with you man. As a bass player, string cost really kills me. It is so annoying that local stores bring up the string prices so much. I understand that they sell those strings probably more often than any other gear but then again... With bass strings costs, I would usually order on ebay and with shipping from US the price would still be somewhat cheaper than if I buy locally. Also, choice of bass guitar strings you can buy locally here is very limited.

Do you have some kind of import rule for the strings or you just can't find a seller in US or europe who ships to Australia?
Maybe try ebay, I bought quite a few packs of strings from there successfully.

All this talk about elixirs really makes me itch to try them out as I never had a chance smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 10:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 2 2014, 07:50 PM) *
I feel with you man. As a bass player, string cost really kills me. It is so annoying that local stores bring up the string prices so much. I understand that they sell those strings probably more often than any other gear but then again... With bass strings costs, I would usually order on ebay and with shipping from US the price would still be somewhat cheaper than if I buy locally. Also, choice of bass guitar strings you can buy locally here is very limited.

Do you have some kind of import rule for the strings or you just can't find a seller in US or europe who ships to Australia?
Maybe try ebay, I bought quite a few packs of strings from there successfully.

All this talk about elixirs really makes me itch to try them out as I never had a chance smile.gif

Hah! I have no clue about Elixir bass strings, but, in what regards the guitar sets, I would definitely vouch for them wink.gif I think it would really be a big advantage for you. Out of what I know, bass strings last longer, right? Well, imagine the lifespan doubled, or maybe even better with the Elixir coated strings. Man, I sound like a TV salesman laugh.gif But, do give them a try nonetheless!

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 3 2014, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 3 2014, 05:10 PM) *
Hah! I have no clue about Elixir bass strings, but, in what regards the guitar sets, I would definitely vouch for them wink.gif I think it would really be a big advantage for you. Out of what I know, bass strings last longer, right? Well, imagine the lifespan doubled, or maybe even better with the Elixir coated strings. Man, I sound like a TV salesman laugh.gif But, do give them a try nonetheless!

Cos I think we should ask for a sponsorship lol.

I've got elixirs on my 2 bass guitars and think they are just as good as the guitar ones. But in saying that I'm not exactly the biggest bass player. The biggest thing is getting use to the string coating. It does make them a little more slick and it feels weird to some people but end of the day u get less string talk and really isn't less friction a better thing?

And yeah there is some import thing going on but I think if I can find a US place that will actually send them then it wouldn't really be checked.
So far the link Todd posted seems like it could solve my issues. I have too many guitars (did I just say that?) and I would rather save money on restringing them so I can have even more guitars lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 02:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 3 2014, 10:21 AM) *
Cos I think we should ask for a sponsorship lol.

I've got elixirs on my 2 bass guitars and think they are just as good as the guitar ones. But in saying that I'm not exactly the biggest bass player. The biggest thing is getting use to the string coating. It does make them a little more slick and it feels weird to some people but end of the day u get less string talk and really isn't less friction a better thing?

And yeah there is some import thing going on but I think if I can find a US place that will actually send them then it wouldn't really be checked.
So far the link Todd posted seems like it could solve my issues. I have too many guitars (did I just say that?) and I would rather save money on restringing them so I can have even more guitars lol

Kidding aside - I've done a video for them (the PRS dealer is also working with Elixir and I am waiting on their answer on an endorsement deal - it would generally involve 50% off the price for any string pack) - so, keep yer fingers crossed please biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 3 2014, 05:30 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 3 2014, 09:14 PM) *
Kidding aside - I've done a video for them (the PRS dealer is also working with Elixir and I am waiting on their answer on an endorsement deal - it would generally involve 50% off the price for any string pack) - so, keep yer fingers crossed please biggrin.gif

Sweet,

You can sell it buy tell them that since they last so long it would really be cheap to endorse you

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 4 2014, 07:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 3 2014, 04:30 PM) *
Sweet,

You can sell it buy tell them that since they last so long it would really be cheap to endorse you

laugh.gif I think they would be happier if I told them that I need a lot of packs rather then fewer wink.gif

Well, truth is that I have been using these for about 4 years now and since I had the opportunity, why not use it? I am also working on a video for Bareknuckle pickups - this one will be a bit harder to get, since I don't have such a great liaison, but it's definitely worth a try smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:19 AM