5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Strange Hiss
GeneT95
Sep 13 2016, 10:32 PM
GMC:er
There is some electrical interference that the GT100 creates or is subject too. Or the interconnecting cords used when the GT100 is connected is subject or creates this electrical interference.

It possibly sounds when before the preamp tubes and only when the strings vibrate when in the fx loop after the preamp tubes because, the way the signal is routed, the preamp amp tubes must send a nominal signal for the loop to be active. Hence that signal is present when the GT100 is before the preamp tubes when plugged in front of them at the input. And only present when plugged after the preamp tubes in the loop when the strings vibrate and the signal reaches a threshold (a very low one) for the signal to move thru the Fx Loop. That all I can think off. Although I could easily be wrong as it doesn't make a lot of sense, but electrons are squirrelly little bugers.

If you want to try something, put the Gt 100 into the loop and the guitar into the gt100. This just uses the power tubes and see if it has the same buzzing sound. More than likely it will to some degree.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Sep 14 2016, 12:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 14 2016, 08:29 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gene,

I'll try that but not just yet, I'm really really falling behind with my assignment for Gab.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. smile.gif

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 15 2016, 05:03 PM
Reading through this trying to see what you have tried and what's not been tried. Did you ever do the "Add bits back one at at time" to find out which bit may be causing the noise?

Also, did you ever make that video that was mentioned to let us see/hear what is happening?

Maybe once you knock out the thing for gabe, let me know about all this smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 14 2016, 03:29 AM) *
Thanks Gene,

I'll try that but not just yet, I'm really really falling behind with my assignment for Gab.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. smile.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 15 2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks Todd,

Those last two recordings are purely the amp and GT100. Nothing else is contributing to the interference.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2016, 03:03 AM
So it's the GT100 that's adding the noise then? Without the GT100 hookedup, the issue goes away?

If so, if the GT100 is on full bypass, even hooked in to the rig, do you still get the noise issue?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 15 2016, 01:47 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

Those last two recordings are purely the amp and GT100. Nothing else is contributing to the interference.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 16 2016, 08:41 AM
If I go into the tuner and select bypass there is no noise at all.
It's a great amp but I might end up selling it sad.gif Funny how it doesn't happen with the Peavey unsure.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2016, 09:29 AM
Odd indeed. So it sounds like the GT100 is just not happy with the current amp for some reason. I"m assuming you are using it in the same config as the peavey? Either in front, in loop etc?

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 16 2016, 03:41 AM) *
If I go into the tuner and select bypass there is no noise at all.
It's a great amp but I might end up selling it sad.gif Funny how it doesn't happen with the Peavey unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 16 2016, 11:39 AM
Exactly the same config, cables were labelled up on top of the cab when the Peavey went and it was a straight swap wink.gif Four cable method.

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 16 2016, 08:29 AM) *
Odd indeed. So it sounds like the GT100 is just not happy with the current amp for some reason. I"m assuming you are using it in the same config as the peavey? Either in front, in loop etc?

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2016, 06:23 PM
Gotcha. Hmm. That is odd. The only way to really compare would be to get the peavey back and do the reverse swap and see if you still get the same result. If you the noise just goes away, I'd suspect some sort of ohm/resistance issue internal to either your new amp or the gt100 that simply doesn't exist on the peavey. If the noise does keep up once you get the peavey back, I"d suspect a cable issue. But only time will tell smile.gif I've always wanted one of those Laney amps that you have and I"m glad to hear that there are some issues before I put money down on one. I'd still like one eventually though smile.gif if you do sell yours, link us to the listing, if one of us buys is, we may be able to finally diagnose the issue smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 16 2016, 06:39 AM) *
Exactly the same config, cables were labelled up on top of the cab when the Peavey went and it was a straight swap wink.gif Four cable method.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 16 2016, 08:08 PM
Todd, it's an awesome amp, it's just this issue with my GT100. When I get time I'm going to hook it up to my Scarlett without going through the GT100 and try some plugins.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 16 2016, 09:00 PM
http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/effects_compatibility.htm

I don't have much knowledge on the electrical side of things but as Todd mentiond at his last post the 2 units simply might not be compatible which is rare but can happen.

I mainly noticed this with analog pedals as some simply can't shine in a pedal chain cause of the other, its actually common and most multiswitchers are designed to eliminate this aside being built for stage usage. Would be a first more me if this is the issue with the laney and boss as I've never heard processors can have this issue too

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 16 2016, 09:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2016, 11:43 PM
The laney of his is a TUBE amp. The Gt100 is a processor and it seems like he has narrrowed it down to being an issue with the GT100. Hopefully it will get worked out smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 16 2016, 04:00 PM) *
http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/effects_compatibility.htm

I don't have much knowledge on the electrical side of things but as Todd mentiond at his last post the 2 units simply might not be compatible which is rare but can happen.

I mainly noticed this with analog pedals as some simply can't shine in a pedal chain cause of the other, its actually common and most multiswitchers are designed to eliminate this aside being built for stage usage. Would be a first more me if this is the issue with the laney and boss as I've never heard processors can have this issue too

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 17 2016, 12:02 AM
The link applys for amps too, its basically an electric thing but the main possibility I consider here mismatching rather than the Laney or boss being a problem by themselves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2016, 04:18 AM
I'm with ya smile.gif Seems like some sort of Impedance Mismatch or cable issue IMHO. But hopefully it's something small that can be resolved easily.

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 16 2016, 07:02 PM) *
The link applys for amps too, its basically an electric thing but the main possibility I consider here mismatching rather than the Laney or boss being a problem by themselves.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 18 2016, 09:08 AM
Learning Roadie
4 cable method is well known for adding noise to the chain. Fractal did something special to the Axe Fx8 to make sure it didn't happen. They also made these cables for other units

http://g66.eu/en/virtuemart-front-page/fra...cable-31-detail

Expensive but you only need one I think

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 18 2016, 09:14 AM
Thanks but I think this is beyond the usual hum. Also it says there that they are designed to be used with the Humbuster sockets.
Thanks for your interest though buddy wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 19 2016, 07:38 PM
The trusty Peavey is on its way back home smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 19 2016, 07:44 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 19 2016, 06:38 PM) *
The trusty Peavey is on its way back home smile.gif

cool any info on what was the problem?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 19 2016, 08:50 PM
It just says "Warranty repair back / adjusted operating / test ok / 532 / LS 28199"

On another note, that hiss thing with the Laney, I have heard it tonight through my GT-001, no amp hook up but a high gain software amp and very very quiet. I had the guitar in my lap and was using the keyboard, when my arms brushed the strings it was there, I could hear the interference sound but if I pluck the string as I normally would the sound of the string overpowered the interference. Nowhere near as bad as with the Laney, light years away in fact but there all the same.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 19 2016, 10:54 PM
I just remembered, you had an ab switcher to switch amps what brand+model was it?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 19 2016, 10:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:17 PM