2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Crazy Bulldogs' Bootcamp
CrazyBulldog
Oct 6 2022, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
The click sound of the metronome is really really annoying.So i think to myself there must be a better modern way to practice and still using a metronome.A few days ago i bought a Metronome from a company called SOUNDBRENNER.This metronome is worn like a normal watch around the wrist.I can practice better with this tool.Please read all infos about it on the soundbrenner website.I will use it in my next video.It is so awesome but i want to know what you think, so read the info and tell me what you think!

Soundbrenner Metronome Info

90bpm is my goal! i'll practice this over the weekend.So the final video at this stage is coming next week!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by CrazyBulldog: Oct 7 2022, 10:29 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 7 2022, 11:21 PM
I have seen those watches that let you feel the beat and it looks like a very cool idea! That works as well. Let me know how it goes.

You can use anything you like to provide the beat. You can even use youtube videos with a drum track like this one.

Or you can use a drum plugin or use drum samples, or anything that works for you. The important thing is to be able to count time, just 1,2,3,4 and play at a steady pace. You can even use a song that you like, anything that works for you works for me smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (CrazyBulldog @ Oct 6 2022, 04:38 PM) *
The click sound of the metronome is really really annoying.So i think to myself there must be a better modern way to practice and still using a metronome.A few days ago i bought a Metronome from a company called SOUNDBRENNER.This metronome is worn like a normal watch around the wrist.I can practice better with this tool.Please read all infos about it on the soundbrenner website.I will use it in my next video.It is so awesome but i want to know what you think, so read the info and tell me what you think!

Soundbrenner Metronome Info

90bpm is my goal! i'll practice this over the weekend.So the final video at this stage is coming next week!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
CrazyBulldog
Oct 9 2022, 05:46 PM
Here it is - the final video for mission#3 biggrin.gif @90bpm

This post has been edited by CrazyBulldog: Oct 9 2022, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2022, 11:33 PM
Solid progress!!!! Let's stick a fork in it and call it done and move to Mission 4!!

I like your new metronome watch but i can't hear it. For the next vid, switch to the metronome for the actual mission video so that I can hear your playing and the metronome at the same time. For your practice time, use the watch as only you need to hear that. Sound like a plan?

Onward!!!

It's all about progress Soldier and you are making it!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Sarge

[

quote name='CrazyBulldog' date='Oct 9 2022, 12:46 PM' post='800586']
Here it is - the final video for mission#3 biggrin.gif @90bpm

[/quote]

+Quote Post
CrazyBulldog
Oct 14 2022, 02:48 PM
Mission#4 @90bpm

The first few seconds was kind of a warm-up biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2022, 07:29 PM
Off to a good start!! You clearly have the picking pattern and fretting under control. I can hear the metronome going while you are playing but it doesn't sound like you are tied to the beat. Being able to play "on the beat" is a foundational skill that is worth fighting your way through. It will determine the outcome of your journey as a player. It's that important. You can clearly keep your right/left hands synched up, and your muting/picking is solid. It's the timing that needs a bit more work.

Try this, turn up the speed on the metronome so that you can hear/feel (when using your metronome watch) one click per beat. Counting basic time is 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4.

Here is a quick video about this.

You can use anything as a reference during your practice, your watch, a drum track, anything at all. For your MISSION VIDEO, make sure you have the metronome speed high enough to have a click each time you strike a note on the guitar. In this last video, there is a gap between clicks and your playing is drifting out of time. The purpose of the click is to give your ears a reference so that you can train your brain to play on the beat. As you get used to doing this, it's also how one can increase speed. Just bump up the metronome and stay on the beat.

Speed is not important at this point, the most important thing is gaining the ability to play in time and train your hands to play one note per click. This is a HUGE challenge at first, but you can do it!

Increase your metronome speed and slow down your playing speed, focus on one note per click. Once more into the breach!!

Sarge

QUOTE (CrazyBulldog @ Oct 14 2022, 09:48 AM) *
Mission#4 @90bpm

The first few seconds was kind of a warm-up biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
CrazyBulldog
Oct 15 2022, 03:52 PM
i think my problem is that i can't hear the click sound of the metronome good enough while i am playing.The sound of my guitar is louder that the click sound from the metronome.If you heard something in the video that's awesome.But not for me.
I am looking for the right sound "balance".I know my mistakes regarding the metronome.That seems to be my only problem right now.It's very annoying for me.No matter how long it will take i will work on it until the problem is gone.

you said:
Increase your metronome speed and slow down your playing speed, focus on one note per click.

But then i have more clicks then beats.I mean it's like to catch a beat no matter what position.Let me explain better, i play a beat on click 1 and it could happen that i miss the click 2 and play the next beat on 3 you know what i mean ?

Also we have a tab with 16th notes which are counted like so: 1 e + a not 1 2 3 4. or doesn't matter ?

-Oliver

This post has been edited by CrazyBulldog: Oct 15 2022, 04:17 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2022, 05:59 PM
Turn down the sound of your guitar a bit so that you can better hear the metronome. Also maybe turn up the sound of the metronome a bit. Maybe describe your setup and i can offer some suggestions?

Ignore time signature for the moment. Just increase the speed of the metronome a bit so that you have enough clicks to put a single pick strike on top of each and every clicks. That way, you can force your hands to start playing "in time". The click is a audio reference for your picking to allow you to get used to playing on a beat. eventually you won't need it, you will have an internal metronome.

one click, one pick strike. if you miss a strike, it's ok, just start the lick over. smile.gif

Im sure we can sort this soldier!

Sarge

QUOTE (CrazyBulldog @ Oct 15 2022, 10:52 AM) *
i think my problem is that i can't hear the click sound of the metronome good enough while i am playing.The sound of my guitar is louder that the click sound from the metronome.If you heard something in the video that's awesome.But not for me.
I am looking for the right sound "balance".I know my mistakes regarding the metronome.That seems to be my only problem right now.It's very annoying for me.No matter how long it will take i will work on it until the problem is gone.

you said:
Increase your metronome speed and slow down your playing speed, focus on one note per click.

But then i have more clicks then beats.I mean it's like to catch a beat no matter what position.Let me explain better, i play a beat on click 1 and it could happen that i miss the click 2 and play the next beat on 3 you know what i mean ?

Also we have a tab with 16th notes which are counted like so: 1 e + a not 1 2 3 4. or doesn't matter ?

-Oliver

+Quote Post
CrazyBulldog
Oct 19 2022, 03:24 PM
So here it is the long awaited mission#4 video biggrin.gif I recorded this with a metronome speed @60bpm.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2022, 12:49 AM
Well fought Soldier!! You are on the right patch. Mucho congrats on your determination!!!!

Congratulations Soldier, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (CrazyBulldog @ Oct 19 2022, 10:24 AM) *
So here it is the long awaited mission#4 video biggrin.gif I recorded this with a metronome speed @60bpm.

+Quote Post
CrazyBulldog
Nov 1 2022, 04:23 PM
I tried this lesson @70bpm.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2022, 11:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Apologies for joining in. I don't mean to take over, I can see big improvements Oliver.

I have an idea from when I was struggling. Let's see if Todd agrees. Play the metronome and tap your foot to it, THEN tap your hand on your leg while you're trapping your foot. Do this for a while trying to match the click. Then try to play the lick using only down strokes for the time being, hopefully your hand will remember the tapping and mimic it with the down strokes.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers and sorry for butting in Sarge.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2022, 12:15 AM
Good progress! As Phil says, tap your foot, or bang your head, etc. Anything that helps to synchronize the click with a pick strike. It can be very helpful to tap your foot, etc. to keep track of the beat. Always listen for the beat so that you don't rush or lag. If using downstrokes only makes things easier to count, give that a try as well. Phil has gone quite far in bootcamp and he's a very helpful guy.

Your technique is looking and sounding good. The only problem is that you are drifting away from the click when you make a pick strike. let's move on to MISSION 6. I think we've gotten all we can from 5. Next time, slow down if you need to but make sure you are listening to the lick and striking a note on the click, not between the click. You started off strong! It just started to drift in time a bit as you went. To wit!!

Congrats Soldier! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (CrazyBulldog @ Nov 1 2022, 11:23 AM) *
I tried this lesson @70bpm.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 2 2022, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2022, 11:18 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I used to use only down picking at slow tempos and imagine my down stroke creating the beat. As things speed up obviously this gets harder and one has to alternate pick but while finding the beat and training one's brain with beats I found it the way to go.

Cheers, I'll bow out now.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
CrazyBulldog
Dec 12 2022, 07:53 PM
For those who think what the hell is crazybulldog doing biggrin.gif I am still alive and kicking and learning like crazy.In the future i will go through the lessons on my own.Don't like it to record for every thing a video.If i have difficulties or questions i will ask you captain.I think it's the best possible way to learn faster and reach my goals.Remember there are over 450!? lessons to learn and go through.If i learn the stuff like i was doing in the past this would be endless and would take years to come...

Oliver aka CrazyBulldog.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2022, 12:54 AM
You gotta do what works best for you Soldier smile.gif I'm here for ya if you have questions. There are several hundred of these Missions and yes it does take quite a while to get through them. It takes years to learn to play guitar no matter what one does. it's roughtly 10,000 hours of practice at any skill of any kind before one really gets "good". For many players, that takes about 10 years. For players who practice non stop, it can take 5 years or even less.

For the future:
The main problem with your playing so far is that you seem to have a very hard time playing on the beat. In every mission I asked you to do another take and slow down and focus on playing on the beat. You improved on this but even in the last video, you started out strong and then slowly started drifting off of the beat again. This one issue will be a thorn in your side until you sort it. It's a foundational part of being able to play the instrument. It's more important that anything else at this point in your journey imho. i'd say focus on this as much as you can until you can play on the beat without even thinking about it.

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (CrazyBulldog @ Dec 12 2022, 02:53 PM) *
For those who think what the hell is crazybulldog doing biggrin.gif I am still alive and kicking and learning like crazy.In the future i will go through the lessons on my own.Don't like it to record for every thing a video.If i have difficulties or questions i will ask you captain.I think it's the best possible way to learn faster and reach my goals.Remember there are over 450!? lessons to learn and go through.If i learn the stuff like i was doing in the past this would be endless and would take years to come...

Oliver aka CrazyBulldog.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 20 2022, 01:14 AM

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Dec 20 2022, 01:38 AM
ya, the thought of all these lessons taking a long time is daunting, but Rome was not made in a day, personally i think your doing good, i would and still do like to practice each lesson a few days in a row to get it down, i even go back over old lessons for the extra practice, over time you will get it down, even now i can still struggle with rhythm from time to time, i use to think i would never get good but i kept practicing and these old videos show me how far i have come, hone your skill,hope you dont mind me dropping in and putting my 2 Cents in, Cheer's

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2023, 09:37 AM
Well said smile.gif It can seem daunting indeed. It does require a huge amount of time and discipline to be sure. There is just no way around it. Then again if it were easy, everyone would be a really good guitar player. smile.gif

QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Dec 19 2022, 08:38 PM) *
ya, the thought of all these lessons taking a long time is daunting, but Rome was not made in a day, personally i think your doing good, i would and still do like to practice each lesson a few days in a row to get it down, i even go back over old lessons for the extra practice, over time you will get it down, even now i can still struggle with rhythm from time to time, i use to think i would never get good but i kept practicing and these old videos show me how far i have come, hone your skill,hope you dont mind me dropping in and putting my 2 Cents in, Cheer's

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 7 2023, 09:37 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:45 PM