Music On Web Radio?
MickeM
Sep 24 2008, 11:38 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Yesterday I was trying out a couple webradio channels that I found in another thread here. I was listening to a progressive metal selection over at last.fm and all of a sudden there was Blind Guardian playing.

It struck me and I got curious, what about these webradio station, how do you get paid each time they play one of your songs? I suppose they do just like when you get played on the radio, right?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 24 2008, 05:53 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
To be honest, I don't know, but I guess that it is the same as with regular radio stations, at least it should be.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 24 2008, 06:12 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
As far as I know Last.fm isn't breaking law, so they most probably did pay/negotiate with the copyright owners.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2008, 06:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Any radio - broadcast to air, digital or web - must meet the relevant Broadcast legislation and that includes the payment of assigned performance rights. How the information is collated may differ between formats: to air will produce a playlist; digital may be covered by a blanket fee paid for multiplex hosting; I think web radio is meant to supply a playlist. Any individual/group who is a member of the PRS will have the money collected for them and distributed by the PRS minus costs.

I'd assume that BG's management have sorted all this out and maintains the monies collected by PRS on behalf of BG. Any individual/group not a member of a PRS would have to recover the fee individually.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 24 2008, 07:59 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Cheers! I guess that covers it Tony wink.gif

I'm also aware that here in Sweden the public radio pays a certain amount to STIM (same as PRS I guess) while commercial radio has a lot lower fees. Can't recall why that is though.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 24 2008, 07:59 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 26 2008, 12:06 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
stim, prs, Gema, should all be the same I guess wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:16 PM