6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Got A Question? Get A Video Response!, Sometimes reading just isn't enough...
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 20 2013, 11:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 20 2013, 07:03 AM) *
Hey Cosmin, I just noticed you're on the home page of GMC now wink.gif Great stuff, if I have a question I will ask later. smile.gif

Sure mate - go right ahead!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 20 2013, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Hello guys smile.gif

To Travis L Starr (FB comment) :
How do you work through a writers block and step outside of your comfort zone, to develop new material?

To Little Pinch harmonix (FB Comment) : How do you sing+play guitar at once (two different melodies)?

To KRu TKs (FB Comment) : How to create a better harmonic while playing solo?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 20 2013, 07:59 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 20 2013, 09:12 AM) *
Hello guys smile.gif

To Travis L Starr (FB comment) :
How do you work through a writers block and step outside of your comfort zone, to develop new material?

Much thanks for the explanation! I never looked at the stress level being such a factor. Explains why I feel more prone to a clear thought process after I get a good workout at the gym, then take a nice relaxing drive home on a sunny day. It is almost like I have the radio on in my brain from the relaxed state that I am in.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 20 2013, 11:25 PM
Instructor
Not try this one Cosmin - How do You shave Your beard ? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kinsbane
Aug 21 2013, 03:09 AM
Hey Cosmin, first post! I was wondering if you could help shed any light on mental tricks (or physical ones) to help break through the physical speed barrier.

Background:

I'm not a traditionally-trained guitarist. I started because I just wanted to play Metallica. It was either a guitar, or lessons, but not both (money), so I had the help of a friend teach me power chords, really basic stuff, and let me borrow his tab books. I didn't go through exercises, just learned and played what I wanted, and when I started writing my own stuff, it was ideas based on what other bands did, seeing patterns in the riffs they played, etc, and emulating that.

So, fast forward 17 years (I'm 32), and while I can play somewhat fast, I can't do it comfortably, or, easily, it seems. My right hand, when going fast, loves to tell the tendon in my forearm to tense up and lock me up. My forearm loves to get really involved in my right-hand technique. I watch videos of Alexi Laiho, Josh from Sylosis, all these great guitar players, and it's just effortless for only their right hand to move, all their speed and such coming from the wrist. I can't help but think, when I see the amount of guitar players that easily and swiftly pick their way through 8th-note lines (or 8th-note triplet lines) at 160 - 180bpm, that they know something I don't. I just can't help but feel I am missing out on some aspect of my right-hand technique that every one else seems to know (either mental or physical).

And I don't think I'm talking merely about practice, here; I practice every day, because my lack of ability in precisely this area demands it, but it's never enough. I seem to hit a barrier when I get to a particular pattern or rhythm at a particular speed, and it's as if my brain knows I can play it, but it doesn't transfer to my right hand/wrist.

I am currently working through two series, the "Hand Synchronization" series and the "Right Hand Basics" series to address just this issue. I apologize for the broad and multi-faceted question; I'm unsure of how to ask what I'm asking. What do you and other fast players *think* about when you play? Or is it more of a "in the zone" feeling, where you're just completely stateless, mindless, and everything comes together?

Thanks in advance for any advice you would be able to impart on me. smile.gif Thanks for all your other lessons, too!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2013, 08:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kinsbane @ Aug 21 2013, 02:09 AM) *
Hey Cosmin, first post! I was wondering if you could help shed any light on mental tricks (or physical ones) to help break through the physical speed barrier.

Background:

I'm not a traditionally-trained guitarist. I started because I just wanted to play Metallica. It was either a guitar, or lessons, but not both (money), so I had the help of a friend teach me power chords, really basic stuff, and let me borrow his tab books. I didn't go through exercises, just learned and played what I wanted, and when I started writing my own stuff, it was ideas based on what other bands did, seeing patterns in the riffs they played, etc, and emulating that.

So, fast forward 17 years (I'm 32), and while I can play somewhat fast, I can't do it comfortably, or, easily, it seems. My right hand, when going fast, loves to tell the tendon in my forearm to tense up and lock me up. My forearm loves to get really involved in my right-hand technique. I watch videos of Alexi Laiho, Josh from Sylosis, all these great guitar players, and it's just effortless for only their right hand to move, all their speed and such coming from the wrist. I can't help but think, when I see the amount of guitar players that easily and swiftly pick their way through 8th-note lines (or 8th-note triplet lines) at 160 - 180bpm, that they know something I don't. I just can't help but feel I am missing out on some aspect of my right-hand technique that every one else seems to know (either mental or physical).

And I don't think I'm talking merely about practice, here; I practice every day, because my lack of ability in precisely this area demands it, but it's never enough. I seem to hit a barrier when I get to a particular pattern or rhythm at a particular speed, and it's as if my brain knows I can play it, but it doesn't transfer to my right hand/wrist.

I am currently working through two series, the "Hand Synchronization" series and the "Right Hand Basics" series to address just this issue. I apologize for the broad and multi-faceted question; I'm unsure of how to ask what I'm asking. What do you and other fast players *think* about when you play? Or is it more of a "in the zone" feeling, where you're just completely stateless, mindless, and everything comes together?

Thanks in advance for any advice you would be able to impart on me. smile.gif Thanks for all your other lessons, too!

Hey mate - I know what you are talking about smile.gif Got some thoughts for ya which will appear here in the form of a video smile.gif

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Aug 20 2013, 06:59 PM) *
Much thanks for the explanation! I never looked at the stress level being such a factor. Explains why I feel more prone to a clear thought process after I get a good workout at the gym, then take a nice relaxing drive home on a sunny day. It is almost like I have the radio on in my brain from the relaxed state that I am in.

Hey T-man, glad I could help out smile.gif The empty mind can work wonders - this is how I feel after a sword practicing session, at this point that's the easiest for me to empty the mind. It's me and the opponent - if the mind is not empty and if you are not fully in the present, you might end up dead - theoretically dead, you know what I mean, but I like to think things in terms of a real combat situation, where every move can determine the outcome of the match.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2013, 10:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kinsbane @ Aug 21 2013, 02:09 AM) *

Background:

Hey mate, here we go:

and

+Quote Post
kinsbane
Aug 22 2013, 02:09 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 21 2013, 09:53 AM) *
Hey mate, here we go:

and

Cosmin,

Thanks so much for your insight and for linking Darius' video. I can see the motion he goes through when picking at different speeds, and I admire and am a little jealous of his ability to NOT move his forearm! This is how I want to play, exactly; and I'm sure it's bad habits I picked up from just learning on my own how to pick (I first started by emulating James Hetfield, with nothing but downstrokes - Master of Puppets is hard because of that).

If you're a night owl like me, I can put up a video of my playing (with a specific riff that causes me headache with this issue) in a couple hours - I'd have to put together my audio recording with my video since I just play through GarageBand and record that way.

Maybe Darius' video will help me out in the interim and I'll even blow myself away smile.gif

Thanks again!!

+Quote Post
kinsbane
Aug 22 2013, 03:49 AM
Hey Cosmin,

Here's a take I did using a riff from one of my band's songs, Cleanse. This riff has always challenged me, because of a lot of switching between palm mutes on the 6th string and un-muted notes on the 5th string, and it changes really fast.

You can tell when I play without any palm muting that I hiccup a couple times - this is pretty much my barrier right here, and I always feel my forearm lockup when playing this.

I'm playing an ESP explorer w/EMG-81s, 11-54 strings in drop C, through my Digitech RP500 into Garageband. The audio track is straight from GB, I recorded the video with my tablet.

Let the humbling commence!!

Edit: I just realized that my position in relation to the camera isn't optimal, but I can already see how much movement I have in my right arm / wrist / forearm. So, definitely something to consider.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2013, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Let me introduce myself, I am a complete self taught musician who has been playing for about 5 Years and my favorite Musical Style is Rock-Metal and I love to listen to Steve Vai, Jason Becker etc. I dearly want to play their songs, and I could actually make it, but I don't know how to improve my guitar playing even farther to get to that point. I actually do have that discipline, but I dont know in which direction I should go. The Lessons I play here are 6 and over (till about 8) but I want to reach that 10 sometime. And another one here: If you met your favorite guitarist of all time, what would you ask him? Something like "go on tour with me! =D or what? "

Howdy Steve! Here we go!

QUOTE (kinsbane @ Aug 22 2013, 02:49 AM) *
Hey Cosmin,

Here's a take I did using a riff from one of my band's songs, Cleanse. This riff has always challenged me, because of a lot of switching between palm mutes on the 6th string and un-muted notes on the 5th string, and it changes really fast.

You can tell when I play without any palm muting that I hiccup a couple times - this is pretty much my barrier right here, and I always feel my forearm lockup when playing this.

I'm playing an ESP explorer w/EMG-81s, 11-54 strings in drop C, through my Digitech RP500 into Garageband. The audio track is straight from GB, I recorded the video with my tablet.

Let the humbling commence!!

Edit: I just realized that my position in relation to the camera isn't optimal, but I can already see how much movement I have in my right arm / wrist / forearm. So, definitely something to consider.

Hey man! Glad I could help out, but could you set the video so that we may see it? At this point, it is set on 'Private'

Thank you!

+Quote Post
SteveGuitar
Aug 22 2013, 10:47 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2013, 07:51 AM) *
Let me introduce myself, I am a complete self taught musician who has been playing for about 5 Years and my favorite Musical Style is Rock-Metal and I love to listen to Steve Vai, Jason Becker etc. I dearly want to play their songs, and I could actually make it, but I don't know how to improve my guitar playing even farther to get to that point. I actually do have that discipline, but I dont know in which direction I should go. The Lessons I play here are 6 and over (till about 8) but I want to reach that 10 sometime. And another one here: If you met your favorite guitarist of all time, what would you ask him? Something like "go on tour with me! =D or what? "

Howdy Steve! Here we go!

Hey man! Glad I could help out, but could you set the video so that we may see it? At this point, it is set on 'Private'

Thank you!

THANK YOU! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2013, 11:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SteveGuitar @ Aug 22 2013, 09:47 AM) *
THANK YOU! biggrin.gif

Always a pleasure mate - but, tell me what would you ask of your favorite guitarist? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 22 2013, 12:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin,

I'm in the process of making a live set, as I will probably have a gig on the 6th Sept. I have an hour and 15 minutes set, and so far, all my material combined is about 50 minutes in total. What would you do in this case? Would you leave it at 50 minutes, or would you 'thicken' up the set so it is it's full time? I'm not sure how to go about this, it's my first gig and any tips would be appreciated. smile.gif Thanks man

--------------------

+Quote Post
kinsbane
Aug 22 2013, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2013, 07:51 AM) *

Thank you!

Cosmin, my bad! I updated the settings to "Unlisted", so, if the embed above doesn't work, here's the link!

http://youtu.be/K4VHWwcwV58

Thanks!

This post has been edited by kinsbane: Aug 22 2013, 04:10 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2013, 07:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 22 2013, 11:09 AM) *
Hey Cosmin,

I'm in the process of making a live set, as I will probably have a gig on the 6th Sept. I have an hour and 15 minutes set, and so far, all my material combined is about 50 minutes in total. What would you do in this case? Would you leave it at 50 minutes, or would you 'thicken' up the set so it is it's full time? I'm not sure how to go about this, it's my first gig and any tips would be appreciated. smile.gif Thanks man

Maybe you can give me some tips on how to practice a vibrato on the 1st string - that's where I got problems with.. (maybe in your Q&A thread?)

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 22 2013, 10:30 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2013, 09:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 20 2013, 10:25 PM) *
Not try this one Cosmin - How do You shave Your beard ? biggrin.gif

Like every serious man does - with his sword!

QUOTE (kinsbane @ Aug 22 2013, 03:09 PM) *
Cosmin, my bad! I updated the settings to "Unlisted", so, if the embed above doesn't work, here's the link!

http://youtu.be/K4VHWwcwV58

Thanks!

Hey man - one thing spotted - notice how much your thumb is moving? That's one thing you need to get rid of. Practice this riff slowly with a metronome and focusing on picking by using your wrist, like in Darius' video. When you feel ready - post the recording here or in the Practice room for us all to see! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 23 2013, 11:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 23 2013, 04:41 AM) *

Thanks so much man! I've started to put my set list together. Being an instrumental guitarist, I'll need to set up some backing tracks, but I will make sure I let you know how it goes smile.gif Thanks again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 24 2013, 09:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 23 2013, 10:45 AM) *
Thanks so much man! I've started to put my set list together. Being an instrumental guitarist, I'll need to set up some backing tracks, but I will make sure I let you know how it goes smile.gif Thanks again.

Always a pleasure Taka - how about - after finishing the playlist and spoken moments - sharing it with us smile.gif I am sure that you will receive more interesting thoughts from everyone wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 28 2013, 10:45 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks for these, very interesting insights Cosmin!

Anyone else got a question? wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 28 2013, 10:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
Cosmin, I will send you the gigging ideas through a PM within a day or so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:31 AM