Ibanez, Where Are They Made?
Johnny B
Feb 14 2008, 02:59 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I have a chance to buy a used Ibanez S prestige 4170 from 2007, however the seller tells me it is made in Korea. How is the general quality of these guitars because they are not cheap, considering that they are made in a low cost/low quality country? I thought the Prestige models were all made in Japan.

If anyone have som thoughts on this it would be much appreciated. I am currently playing on a US made Fender Strat but feel I would like to try something else.

Thanks a lot

/J

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Feb 14 2008, 03:37 PM
QUOTE (Johnny B @ Feb 14 2008, 08:59 AM) *
I have a chance to buy a used Ibanez S prestige 4170 from 2007, however the seller tells me it is made in Korea. How is the general quality of these guitars because they are not cheap, considering that they are made in a low cost/low quality country? I thought the Prestige models were all made in Japan.

From Wikipedia:

S - The S models use the "zero resistance" floating tremolo, which enables the strings to stay more in tune. Also available as S Prestige, high-end range which are made in Japan/Korea - S2170, S4170 AB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
xChrisx
Feb 14 2008, 03:53 PM
Well my low-end SA-160 is made in Korea, that's all I can tell you.

--------------------
i did this to myself
the summer air burning in my lungs
one more glance till i come undone
let's stop this rising sun

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Feb 14 2008, 04:05 PM
All Prestige Ibanezes are made in Japan, by team JCraft, in the Fujien (SP?) factory. Most low end ones are made in Korea, and the beginner one's are made in Indonesia.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 14 2008, 04:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Johnny B @ Feb 14 2008, 02:59 PM) *

I do think it's wrong to generally say a certain country is a "low quality country". What gives the quality is how well the production line functions and how skilled the staff is.
During the upstart phase, we're talking years, the quality would be dubious when starting up with new personel and new machines but as the years pass the quality will increase.
And what you mention with low cost has nothing to do with it really, you can get real cheap stuff at low cost but in asia you can also get the good stuff at low cost so if the same guitar was manufactured in your home country and costed three times more wouldn't vouch for a better quality, only that it's the same but three times more expensive.
Since Prestige is rated a bit higher in Korea aswell as it would be in Japan there are certain steps of quality assurance to be fulfilled before it can be called Prestige. These rules are the same I'm sure since noone can really say - Since the koreans can't manage to get the neck straight we strike the part of the Prestige QA.

Then there are strategic desicions to mass produce cheap guitars with cheap wood and cheap hardware at as low cost as possible. Think of China today. If someone wanted to produce the Prestige models in China that would be much possible, it's just to provide the machines, skills, knowledge and material.
But as you started out, countries gets branded "low cost" and "low quality" countries but it's not always neccessary that "low cost" and "low quantity" goes hand in hand. Though the big money is in selling larger volumes of low cost and as it is right now China does that best.

So I would not fear what Ibanez calls a high-end guitar would be low-end just because it says Korea. I don't say that becuase I know their Korean production line is awesome but only because if Ibanez sell these guitars at a high cost not at all in relation to the quality they will soon be going down the slope. And that's no matter where the guitar is made.

One problem with asia is the humidity but I'm quite sure that's under control too.

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 14 2008, 04:48 PM
If anything you should be able to get it cheaper, many people will be ignoring that guitar on the basis of its country of origin, but if its good quality you could push the price down and get a steal!

I have a Korean guitar, its well made. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 14 2008, 07:52 PM
I believe all S's are manufactured in Korea until this year's models which would be moved back to Fujigen with the roll out of their flagship S series guitar, the EGEN. I believe mid 90's S's are Japanese made but late 90's through last year were ALL korea, prestige and standard series.

That said, I have a korean S, there was nothing wrong with the initial build quality.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 14 2008, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 14 2008, 07:52 PM) *
I believe all S's are manufactured in Korea until this year's models which would be moved back to Fujigen with the roll out of their flagship S series guitar, the EGEN. I believe mid 90's S's are Japanese made but late 90's through last year were ALL korea, prestige and standard series.

That said, I have a korean S, there was nothing wrong with the initial build quality.

They moved the prestige S production to Korea in 2005 I believe. And only the new 24 fret S is Japanese built, the 22 fretters are still Korean.

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 14 2008, 11:34 PM
I have an s2170 prestige...Korean
Best guitar I own...I have 2 other japanese ibanezs and the Korean one is the king. Whenever I reach for a guitar I pick up the s series prestige.
My opinion is dont be afraid of anything that says prestige....they have a very high standard of quality.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2008, 12:13 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well if you can tryout the guitar do it and than judge its quality...Nowadays everything is made in china, Korea Indonesia...It doesn't mean its bad quality.Its more about the product and firm that stands behind it..They all have standards.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 16 2008, 01:03 AM
Instructor
almost fabrique for instruments going to china and Korea cause the hand workers is cheaper than Japan .i remember befor a years telecaster squair made in japan more expensive than USA .

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 16 2008, 02:48 PM
How can you tell where a guiatr is made?
I only know how to tell on a Fender.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 16 2008, 11:17 PM
yeah um at the moment IMO japanese and korean guitars are so much better than usa ones, they only make these "prestigious" strats, les pauls etc. with terrible neck access and poor supposedly "vintage" or whatnot pickups with the versitality of a penguin. besides from the new robot les paul and the fender copy of the variax, they arent really worth the money, you are just buying the label. whilst the ibanez people actually give you better stuff that has practical uses

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:41 AM