Mertay & Major Earthquake In Turkey
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 6 2023, 09:47 AM
GMC Founder
I woke up to the news of a major earthquake in Turkey.

I really hope Mertay and other Turkish GMC:ers are OK? ❤️

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 6 2023, 10:49 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 6 2023, 08:47 AM) *
I woke up to the news of a major earthquake in Turkey.

I really hope Mertay and other Turkish GMC:ers are OK? ❤️

Thanks for your concern!

I'm on the far west side of Turkey while the earthquake happened on the east. Thankfully didn't affect my area but its been 7 hours and I'm still waiting news on 2-3 friends of mine who was there for family visit or work. Could only see that they entered whatsapp briefly after the earthquake so hopefully they're ok but the weather conditions are also bad and likely they have no-where to spend the day/night.

The earthquake reached so far out even current death tool in Syria is more than 400 as of now. Roads, bridges, airports are demolished or unusable so as I'm watching TV still no news from some parts of the affected area cause internet couldn't be restored yet. Will likely take days even to begin a simple understanding of the big picture. Currently near 2000 buildings/apartments are reported demolished.

Worst part is the weather this week was expected to be terrible and will snow more than usually for a few days. Everyone caught at it while they were sleeping (was around 4 in the morning the earthquake happened) and the battle is already on with the cold weather. The goverment is trying to send tents but will take time.

Help will be coming from all around the world which is wonderful, I can only hope the death toll to be as minimal as possible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 6 2023, 10:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 6 2023, 11:45 AM
Got news from a friend of mine I was most worried about.

He was on his way to the airport as the cab driver thought a tire burst but as he looked out the window could see buildings collapsing.

Immediately returned to his father, when the quake happened his father ran out the house bare-foot and when he looked back his home was demolished. Its pure chance he was awake at that hour just to send his son to the airport.

The magnatude is reported officially 7.7, read somewhere this was the second biggest earthquake of the current century.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 6 2023, 11:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 6 2023, 01:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
Mertay, I'm glad to hear that you are ok.

I saw the news and they also reported a second massive earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5.
Our television broadcast videos with buildings collapsing. It's heartbreaking to see something like this. That's an immense tragedy.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 6 2023, 01:33 PM
GMC Founder
Good to hear that mate 👊

Thoughts go to your peers as well as our Syrian members, I just realised they are heavily affected as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Feb 6 2023, 04:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Tragic. sad.gif Great to hear you are ok Mertay. Praying for those affected.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 6 2023, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the good wishes!

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 6 2023, 12:00 PM) *
Mertay, I'm glad to hear that you are ok.

I saw the news and they also reported a second massive earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5.
Our television broadcast videos with buildings collapsing. It's heartbreaking to see something like this. That's an immense tragedy.

Yeah probably during I messaged here the second quake happened. There are very unfortunate stories behind it as some who were trapped under rubble waiting to survive couldn't survive the second quake sad.gif

We are gathering food, blankets etc. to be sent to those zones but around 15 million people are living in the totally affected area. It will be a huge challenge to even reach everybody in need let alone give them the support they need.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 6 2023, 09:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Glad you're okay buddy, great shame for those who aren't sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 6 2023, 10:18 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I saw initial reports of this last night before I went to bed and thought of you immediately, Mertay and added you and everyone affected to my nightly prayers and I will continue to do so. I am happy to hear that you and hopefully all of your family and friends are alright. Stay safe and God bless.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 6 2023, 10:35 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 6 2023, 05:45 PM) *
Thanks for the good wishes!

Yeah probably during I messaged here the second quake happened. There are very unfortunate stories behind it as some who were trapped under rubble waiting to survive couldn't survive the second quake sad.gif

We are gathering food, blankets etc. to be sent to those zones but around 15 million people are living in the totally affected area. It will be a huge challenge to even reach everybody in need let alone give them the support they need.

This is so scary, did you feel it at all from where you are?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 6 2023, 11:41 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 6 2023, 08:29 PM) *
Glad you're okay buddy, great shame for those who aren't sad.gif

Yeah, I can only tell myself that no one I know closely was hurt which is a relief but hearing news from other peoples relatives, friends (and even pets) is heartbreaking sad.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 6 2023, 09:18 PM) *
I saw initial reports of this last night before I went to bed and thought of you immediately, Mertay and added you and everyone affected to my nightly prayers and I will continue to do so. I am happy to hear that you and hopefully all of your family and friends are alright. Stay safe and God bless.

Thank you for your sincerity and prayers!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 6 2023, 09:35 PM) *
This is so scary, did you feel it at all from where you are?

Fortunately no, its like 15-18 hours of overall driving distance from where I live.

Just to give perspective, this was the topic I made when a devastating Earthquake hit my city almost 3 years ago; https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=61399&hl=

And even to this day, there are still lots of construction or demolition going on. Cause of economic reasons, abandoned damaged buildings waited years to be demolished and renewed. But with this current earthquake, near 10 cities are affected like this (or much worse) in that area.

I hear there are still places rescue teams couldn't reach yet, as the roads are blocked cause of damage. Its a race against time as the weather is freezing cold sad.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 6 2023, 11:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 9 2023, 09:36 AM
GMC Founder
Good to hear you are safe Mertay, but...the images coming from Turkey is horrific to the point I can barely watch them. I really hope that death toll won't climb more. 😨

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 10 2023, 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 9 2023, 08:36 AM) *
Good to hear you are safe Mertay, but...the images coming from Turkey is horrific to the point I can barely watch them. I really hope that death toll won't climb more. 😨

Thanks Kris but situation is getting worse sad.gif nowadays we are getting visuals of Syrian refugee's (there are approximately 800.000 in Hatay city alone) attacking/robbing people who are trying to leave there or tracks which carry aid.

The army is there but first arrived troops are commissioned to take out the dead from rubble while their bodies are still intact for final burial (this is why death count jumped from 9000 to 20000 today). Hopefully the situation will be contained soon but everybody including my psychology is in bad shape.

The images keep reminding me of Ukraine bombed civilian zones, I also try not to watch tv as can't taking it anymore at times sad.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 10 2023, 02:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 11 2023, 04:06 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 10 2023, 04:35 AM) *
Thanks Kris but situation is getting worse sad.gif nowadays we are getting visuals of Syrian refugee's (there are approximately 800.000 in Hatay city alone) attacking/robbing people who are trying to leave there or tracks which carry aid.

The army is there but first arrived troops are commissioned to take out the dead from rubble while their bodies are still intact for final burial (this is why death count jumped from 9000 to 20000 today). Hopefully the situation will be contained soon but everybody including my psychology is in bad shape.

The images keep reminding me of Ukraine bombed civilian zones, I also try not to watch tv as can't taking it anymore at times sad.gif

Mertay. I don't know whether to thank you for the update or just cry. 20,000 lives lost from this disaster is hard to get my mind around. Stay strong and God bless.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 11 2023, 04:15 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2023, 11:38 AM
Been seeing this a lot on the news, glad you are ok! 7.8 is about as it can get. I saw buildings collapse days after the quake. it seems like a long recovery process. All my hopes and prayers.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 11 2023, 11:40 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:23 PM