2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Ngd, Sorry Mertay :o/
Todd Simpson
Mar 11 2017, 11:50 PM
GMC:er
Let us know what you decide smile.gif You gotta do what's best for your situation smile.gif You can get nearly any effect as a plugin or suite of plugins even for free, e.g. Native Instruments free offerings, etc. The sampling and processing is better on the amplifire to be sure. As far as Joe Satriani tone or anyones tone, the way I always learned how to use all my plugins and my hardware bits was buy picking a given tone/track and just earballing it until I got close. In the process I learned a LOT about tweaking tone!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 11 2017, 01:28 PM) *
Thanks folks.
I might give it a week or two, I'll try the GT100 in the fx loop first. If it's a ball ache getting it working I'll get rid of it, I'm certainly not going back to just using the GT100 by itself.

How about the SatIrani tone? Do you think that's possible?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 12 2017, 10:41 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm in a real dilemma now. I am 100% keeping the Amplifire 12! I am scared by some of the things in the 12, the chorus block for example has things like wow and flutter which i remember from cassette player specs, I can't remember where but somewhere in the software it's got something called "buckets" and the selections are just numbers. I've seen things like "diffusion" "duty", "wave".

I'm worried that if I keep the GT100 then I won't bother trying to learn the 12 and just use its amp tones but I'm also worried that if i get rid of the GT100 I'll be wishing I hadn't when I'm struggling to get what I want. I then start thinking "How often do you need more than just good solid guitar tones?

I have a midi keyboard controller I can use with synth software when I want weird tones for creativity effects.

Bottom line is, the 12 is incredible but in my naivety I missed the fact that Boss have a wealth of pedals to draw from and didn't expect the 12 to be so deep in the settings. I guess it's more what your find in a studio.

Check this out to see what I mean. http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?thre...ts-presets.197/

While writing this I'm suddenly thinking "Just get rid of the Boss, no don't It's got whammy and intelligent harmonizer, but how often do you use them? but I might want them next month, but if i haven't got them i just have to deal with it, yeah but but but......" :lol:

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 12 2017, 11:31 AM
laugh.gif

So mainly while the boss has specific stomp fx, the atomic has settings to replicate many other pedals and I understand this can be confusing at first.

No worrys, its not like you have to use them as they just add a change to the sound which can be wanted or not. Quick notes on your findings;

Nice that you noticed the options from tape, reality is most of the modulation fx pedals today replicate tape. Its the character voicing that mainly differentiates a tape chorus/delay from a pedal.

As for delay, while digital delay reflects an exact mirror of the sound analog add some flavor and each repeat degrades from the last one. The lower the bucket setting the more degredation (you lose highs and lows) happens with each repeat. Its about how the delays sit inside the music, my tip; if digital delay is too obvious while playing on a backing track, try analog but don't decrease the bucket too much.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 12 2017, 09:41 AM) *
I'm worried that if I keep the GT100 then I won't bother trying to learn the 12 and just use its amp tones but I'm also worried that if i get rid of the GT100 I'll be wishing I hadn't when I'm struggling to get what I want. I then start thinking "How often do you need more than just good solid guitar tones?

Sort of my point from previous post, also you did mention a slight noise problem with the GT100

That link is very nice, the delay setting are from my favorite delay pedals (which I personally prefer to boss). Why not give it a month or 2 then? I mean only reach the boss when an fx there isn't inside the atomic, if its something like delay/reverb then that forum seems to be a great place to get some settings (and it won't take too long to find your own settings).

But its important that you tweak the atomic (to the backing track) when needed, either a simple eq change or different modulation. It will be rewarding on the long run when you'll notice you feel much faster compared to surfing presets wink.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 12 2017, 11:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 13 2017, 11:46 AM
Now I know why it's called "bucket" smile.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-brigade_device

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 13 2017, 03:00 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 13 2017, 10:46 AM) *
Now I know why it's called "bucket" smile.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-brigade_device

smile.gif

The name comes from analogy with the term bucket brigade, used for a line of people passing buckets of water.

Unfortunatly today there's only 1 manufacturer that makes chip (named coolaudio or something like that...). Cause of the drawbacks of BBD (limited delay legth, noise...) I don't see as much pedals I used to, nows all digital even the ones claming being analog. So all brands use the same chip, sometimes EHX releases limited DMM's with authentic chips (very expensive) but even they admit its getting harder to find parts sad.gif

Not long ago here chatting with Chris Herrington, he commented using such delay pedal simply for the tone (set to no delay at all). Also not long ago I was on a hunt for a plug-in that emlates BBD, one would think there would be many options but there isn't sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 13 2017, 04:30 PM
Yeah I though the tech would have changed but I was intrigued by the word "bucket" rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 18 2017, 03:59 PM
just sharing the link as though not boss it has more than enough fx in a small size https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry745589

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2017, 07:09 PM
You can get nearly any effect from plugins, including harmonizer. smile.gif The rack page of amplitude for example. Most of the guitar plugins offer a huge variety of stomps/rack gear that you can use. But it does require your computer be involved. The 12 is a very flexible unit. You can always keep the GT in a closet somewhere, out of sight and have it in case you need it smile.gif It's not a pricey unit, so selling it won't get you that far financially. Just pop it out of your guitar chain to push yourself a bit closer to learning the 12. The software interface is probably your best bet imho as it is just easier to see everything. But again, involves a computer. Bottom line, get used to having your computer be near/part of your rig. If you have a laptop you can dedicate, that would be handy smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 12 2017, 05:41 AM) *
I'm in a real dilemma now. I am 100% keeping the Amplifire 12! I am scared by some of the things in the 12, the chorus block for example has things like wow and flutter which i remember from cassette player specs, I can't remember where but somewhere in the software it's got something called "buckets" and the selections are just numbers. I've seen things like "diffusion" "duty", "wave".

I have a midi keyboard controller I can use with synth software when I want weird tones for creativity effects.

Bottom line is, the 12 is incredible but in my naivety I missed the fact that Boss have a wealth of pedals to draw from and didn't expect the 12 to be so deep in the settings. I guess it's more what your find in a studio.

Check this out to see what I mean. http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?thre...ts-presets.197/

While writing this I'm suddenly thinking "Just get rid of the Boss, no don't It's got whammy and intelligent harmonizer, but how often do you use them? but I might want them next month, but if i haven't got them i just have to deal with it, yeah but but but......" :lol:

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks Todd,

I alway use my computer, I hate editing on hardware mad.gif My computer is always on because I record a lot of stuff so I can playback and analyze it, you hear a lot more when you aren't actually playing as you know wink.gif

For reference here is my PC spec, I've been thinking of changing the CPU but don't really know if it's worth it for what I do.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 19 2017, 09:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2017, 02:48 AM
The first thing I would do is take the ram to AT LEAST 16GB. 8 gb is just not enough IMHO, these days. as so many plugins and even windows can be such resource hogs. Also, your cpu typically needs an upgrade when you start running out of room in terms of adding plugins and getting real time playback. If your rig is working as is, then you can probably get by for a while smile.gif If you notice that you can't reduce the samples far enough to get real time playback / recording with plugins enabled, then it might be time to upgrade. I'd say get a Quad core i7, which are much cheaper than they were.

Also I notice your boot drive is SSD which is great, but it's only 256. The good news is that the 960gb ssd have come way down and launching projects from SSD is a dream come true. I keep most project stuff on external drives except for whatever project is current. That I leave on the SSD. The speed of launch, lack of hiccups, make it worth it. I've got a 960 gb ssd boot drive in my
main music rig with 16gb of ram and a quad core i7 and it's the best rig I've ever had in terms of music/video production. These are not even top end specs, these are the "budget specs" as top end specs would be an 8 core cpu and 32gb of ram with the biggest ssd boot you can find and SATA raid drives as working storage.

I've got a 4 tb raid on SATA (converted from usb 3 on my dock connected with thunderbolt) and it's almost as fast as the SSD.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 18 2017, 04:17 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I alway use my computer, I hate editing on hardware mad.gif My computer is always on because I record a lot of stuff so I can playback and analyze it, you hear a lot more when you aren't actually playing as you know wink.gif

For reference here is my PC spec, I've been thinking of changing the CPU but don't really know if it's worth it for what I do.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 21 2017, 02:53 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2017, 01:16 PM
Thanks Todd,

I think I might upgrade the RAM, everything else is working fine, I don't use plugins at the moment I'm all hardware (Atomic Amplifire 12 and Boss GT100). Because of this I don't get latency because I direct monitor.

I don't have very many programs on the SSD and everything is stored on the Seagate drive. It isn't anywhere near full yet.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2017, 08:57 PM
Update:

Ordered this https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=52474

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
cmgmc
Mar 21 2017, 09:16 PM
It all depends on your use and finance at the end, but personally I would keep the GT100 if you need to use as effects in 4CM.
I have the smaller Atomic Amplifire and it is way ahead of the the GT100, but just as effects in the loop of the amp, my GT100 was brilliant.
And personally, I agree with you, "hardware" gives more satisfaction than plugins/software

Carmine

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 22 2017, 09:10 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 21 2017, 12:16 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I think I might upgrade the RAM, everything else is working fine, I don't use plugins at the moment I'm all hardware (Atomic Amplifire 12 and Boss GT100). Because of this I don't get latency because I direct monitor.

I don't have very many programs on the SSD and everything is stored on the Seagate drive. It isn't anywhere near full yet.

Cheers buddy.

The added ram should be enough to give breathing space to your computer when something on the background is working (like an auto-update or system tool) while you're recording.

I agree adding some ram should be enough as you're not a plug-in user.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2017, 03:09 AM
That should do it smile.gif You should have more headroom on your system to allow you to run things and leave some stuff running in the background if you like without any issues. I remember going from 8 to 16 gb on one machine and liking it so much that I did it to all three of my machines.

[Thatquote name='Phil66' date='Mar 21 2017, 03:57 PM' post='745743']
Update:

Ordered this https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=52474

smile.gif
[/quote]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:33 AM