Good Recordings, What gear do I need?
Gert1973
Nov 9 2022, 07:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi everybody,

Just posted my first REC but they have very pour sound quality. I used my iMac for the job but learned that is does not make good recordings.

What do you guys use to record your lessons?

I'm looking for budget stuff.

Cheers,
Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 10 2022, 06:19 AM
You could get Reaper which you can run in trial mode forever, it's just after the trial period you have to wait a short time when you open it before you can use it, it's less than a minute iirc. It's well worth paying for it though just to find the small team that keep on giving updates.

https://www.reaper.fm/

Also check this out https://blog.landr.com/best-free-daw/

For an interface, you could get a Focusrite Scarlett Solo but it is a little bit limited. I use one at my holiday home and if you're only going to use either headphones or speakers it's fine, if you're going to be switching you have to unplug the speakers as you can't switch them off.

https://focusrite.com/en/audio-interface/sc...t/scarlett-solo

Better option would be the Scarlett 2i2

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interfac...tt/scarlett-2i2

You can often find decent ones on eBay

I hope that helps, I've only used Scarlett interfaces and find them very reliable. I've tried many DAWs and always come back to Reaper but we're all different so check out that link above and experiment.

Good luck. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 10 2022, 09:46 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome to see REC takes from you Gert!

Your imac can produce amazing results ( I have used one as my main recording computer for many years).

Can you give us some more details on how your record?

- What software? (Garage Band perhaps?)

- How do you capture your guitar sound? Via mic or plug directly into the computer?

Recording is a bit of an art on its own - but the good news is that once you get a hang of it, you can nowadays produce pro sounding recordings in your home studio.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Nov 10 2022, 10:29 AM
Many thanks Phil for your response and suggestions! I will have a look at all the options you gave...

Hi Kris,

I use Quick time player for recordings and the mic from my iMac but obviously it does not do a good job. I have done some recordings with my iPhone at that gave a much better result! So I was thinking of doing my REC takes again with my iPhone as it gives a much better result.

I probably will need to purchase a decent mic and/or a focusrite Scarlet as Phil suggests... A friend of mine already uses that and he's happy with that device.

It's a whole new world to discover for me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 10 2022, 10:35 AM
GMC Founder
I recorded some more recording advice for you at the end of this video:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Nov 10 2022, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2022, 10:35 AM) *
I recorded some more recording advice for you at the end of this video:

Hi Kris,

Thanks for this great personal feedback! I will start practising on the 3 things you mentioned. Regarding the resting point, I can tell you I had a resting point but mest it up because I needed to hold my guitar a different way so it was pointed in a way you could see it good on camera. On the last REC (first rock ballad) I already found a resting point. Can you tell me if this is an improvement?

I just uploaded new REC I made with my iPhone. It gives a much better result soundwise and I think for now it's possible for you and Monica to rate my performance until I buy some new gear.

I will look into the options of an interface such as Scarlett focusrite and garage band. I already installed garageband. Is it also possible to record video together with audio on garageband? Anyway... I will watch some tutorials now.

Ooooh, other issue... I was trying to reply on the forum in de REC section on my new REC's. But if I want to reply, I get this message: "Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic". I tried to sign off and on again a few times but it didn't fix the problem. Can you have a look at it why I can not reply on a topic I started?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 10 2022, 03:45 PM
You can't reply in Rec, only instructors. I always thought it would be good to allow the student who submitted the video to have one post at the end just to days "thanks" but it is how it is 😊

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Nov 10 2022, 05:25 PM
Oooh ok, thanks Phil

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2022, 02:35 AM
GMC:er
Garage band is a great DAW for audio recording and you can import video into it, but you can't record video with it. If you are using an audio interface, you'd youd need to record video separately and then synchronize the audio and video after the fact. This is typically done in a video editing program such as imovie which comes free with every mac.

However, this does require more work/time/etc. Using your iphone is a great way to do it as it can record audio and video at the same time and you can then upload it directly to youtube so that you can embed the video here on GMC. smile.gif

As you continue, you will grow and learn in terms of recording equipment/software. For the moment, your iphone is a great way to go and will allow you to spend more time on practice and less time on post production.

Todd

QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Nov 10 2022, 10:19 AM) *
Hi Kris,

Thanks for this great personal feedback! I will start practising on the 3 things you mentioned. Regarding the resting point, I can tell you I had a resting point but mest it up because I needed to hold my guitar a times but it didn't fix the problem. Can you have a look at it why I can not reply on a topic I started?

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Nov 11 2022, 08:14 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 11 2022, 02:35 AM) *
Garage band is a great DAW for audio recording and you can import video into it, but you can't record video with it. If you are using an audio interface, you'd youd need to record video separately and then synchronize the audio and video after the fact. This is typically done in a video editing program such as imovie which comes free with every mac.

However, this does require more work/time/etc. Using your iphone is a great way to do it as it can record audio and video at the same time and you can then upload it directly to youtube so that you can embed the video here on GMC. smile.gif

As you continue, you will grow and learn in terms of recording equipment/software. For the moment, your iphone is a great way to go and will allow you to spend more time on practice and less time on post production.

Todd

Hi Todd,

Many thanks for this great advice. I was already looking into options for recording sound and video but I'm happy to hear I can just use my iPhone! Because right now, all I want to do is practise guitar biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 4 2022, 09:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
i I would try EZ MIX studio , you can try it for free https://www.toontrack.com/ezmix-2-try-it-free/ , It is called ez mix because 95 percent is pre adjusted so you can't mess it up , you just need to scroll thru the presets till you find the one you like . The downloader will put it into reaper effects so it will be easy to put on a channel . The number one mistake is forgetting to turn on monitoring and arm the record button or you will never hear yourself This will also make it easy to download audio of your lessons and get a fairly good tone . We all had a learning curve so don't get frustrated and learn how to find your answers on youtube.. Now you can get all the same tones for free , but it is a bigger learning curve and I believe Gabriel did a few videos on how to get free tones ., Hope this helps

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Dec 4 2022, 09:27 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 5 2022, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 4 2022, 09:25 PM) *
i I would try EZ MIX studio , you can try it for free https://www.toontrack.com/ezmix-2-try-it-free/ , It is called ez mix because 95 percent is pre adjusted so you can't mess it up , you just need to scroll thru the presets till you find the one you like . The downloader will put it into reaper effects so it will be easy to put on a channel . The number one mistake is forgetting to turn on monitoring and arm the record button or you will never hear yourself This will also make it easy to download audio of your lessons and get a fairly good tone . We all had a learning curve so don't get frustrated and learn how to find your answers on youtube.. Now you can get all the same tones for free , but it is a bigger learning curve and I believe Gabriel did a few videos on how to get free tones ., Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks for the tip on EZ MIX. I will certainly have a look at it. Right now I'm already using garageband and I managed to get some decent recordings on REC. I just bought the interface from focusrite but haven't tright it out yet.

But I will certainly have a look at EZ MIX and I'll keep you informed ;-)

Grtz,
Gert

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2022, 03:10 AM
GMC:er
The best thing about EZ MIX is that it runs as a plugin inside of Garage Band smile.gif I have been using EZ Mix for years. It's a great tool. It does just about everything. Think of it as just a plugin that you can apply to each track inside of Garage band. here is a quick demo video smile.gif

Ez Mix can be used on each channel in Garage band and can be used on the master bus as well. Very flexible and powerful.

QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 5 2022, 03:08 PM) *
Hi,

Thanks for the tip on EZ MIX. I will certainly have a look at it. Right now I'm already using garageband and I managed to get some decent recordings on REC. I just bought the interface from focusrite but haven't tright it out yet.

But I will certainly have a look at EZ MIX and I'll keep you informed ;-)

Grtz,
Gert

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 8 2022, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:56 AM