New Boss Pedals
Mertay
Jun 13 2019, 04:32 PM
GMC:er
https://www.boss.info/global/categories/sto...LgxlrJlAlWD8HZs

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mertay
Jun 18 2019, 10:24 PM

Friend of mine bought this amp (with original cab.) used only 2 days ago, I played that amp last year and might be the best I've ever played. Just a few knobs or buttons and the variety of tones are huge, genius engineering.

So he's near broke now biggrin.gif but needs a reverb pedal and can't use a cheap pedal or processor (currently has a gt100) , in reality he can but the moment you plug something and notice a difference in tone or dynamics one just can't give-up on such a beautiful tone.

But if using processor as amp then this isn't an issue, any change of eq etc. can be compensated by the device's cab. or eq section anyway. Naturally, any tone coming out of the device is "its tone" so its easy to adapt its self coloration.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 18 2019, 10:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2019, 01:32 AM
Cool amp!!!! That's the BIG IRON!

Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 18 2019, 05:24 PM) *

Friend of mine bought this amp (with original cab.) used only 2 days ago, I played that amp last year and might be the best I've ever played. Just a few knobs or buttons and the variety of tones are huge, genius engineering.

So he's near broke now biggrin.gif but needs a reverb pedal and can't use a cheap pedal or processor (currently has a gt100) , in reality he can but the moment you plug something and notice a difference in tone or dynamics one just can't give-up on such a beautiful tone.

But if using processor as amp then this isn't an issue, any change of eq etc. can be compensated by the device's cab. or eq section anyway. Naturally, any tone coming out of the device is "its tone" so its easy to adapt its self coloration.

+Quote Post
Adam
Jun 19 2019, 06:07 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 19 2019, 01:32 AM) *
Cool amp!!!! That's the BIG IRON!

Todd

I like Mesa's design but ENGL's are imho better. I've only tried ENGL's Invader and that was a love at first strum. Mesa's Recto, not so much but I wouldn't mind one if I found a nice bargain.

About the reverbs, I think good old spring unit beats the crap of the multifx emulation but high-quality DAWs probably have high-quality reverbs. I hear Mooer or Joyo has a nice counterpart for Boss' RV-6, so that could be worth checking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 19 2019, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 19 2019, 05:07 PM) *
I like Mesa's design but ENGL's are imho better. I've only tried ENGL's Invader and that was a love at first strum. Mesa's Recto, not so much but I wouldn't mind one if I found a nice bargain.

About the reverbs, I think good old spring unit beats the crap of the multifx emulation but high-quality DAWs probably have high-quality reverbs. I hear Mooer or Joyo has a nice counterpart for Boss' RV-6, so that could be worth checking.

With a recto, I like it when the volume is really high as then as if a second amp tone starts to blend in (poweramp tone) but its not so versatile. Mesa Mark V is an amp I could play anytime due to 1-2 of my friends having them but to be honest never really liked them despite the popularity. Cleans are nice but next to a Fender they're a bit sterile, drive probably I'd pick a different cab. than whats regularly inluded, distortion is fuzzy and never tested pedals to see how much I can tame it...simply too much work to set it up biggrin.gif

But the ENGL is really something else, can go super loud but doesn't have to be to get convincing Plexi/silver jubilee tones. Cleans are magical yet can drive as much as Yngwie tones...what shocked me most was the lack of knobs and variety when I first tried it. My second shock was when noticing the headroom, actually struggled a bit cause I am so used to other solutions.

Good reverbs require too much DSP power (probably as much as an amp sim. itself) so its usually the softspot of multi-fx units. Cheap stuff are more delay based, meaning the reflections are very few so sounds thin and works best only if added very little to the tone. I like some Chinese brand solutions, specially drive pedals but for such pedal looking at USA priced probably not going lesser for 100 dolar new is a good lowest but safe limit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Jun 19 2019, 08:00 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 19 2019, 06:39 PM) *
With a recto, I like it when the volume is really high as then as if a second amp tone starts to blend in (poweramp tone) but its not so versatile. Mesa Mark V is an amp I could play anytime due to 1-2 of my friends having them but to be honest never really liked them despite the popularity. Cleans are nice but next to a Fender they're a bit sterile, drive probably I'd pick a different cab. than whats regularly inluded, distortion is fuzzy and never tested pedals to see how much I can tame it...simply too much work to set it up biggrin.gif

But the ENGL is really something else, can go super loud but doesn't have to be to get convincing Plexi/silver jubilee tones. Cleans are magical yet can drive as much as Yngwie tones...what shocked me most was the lack of knobs and variety when I first tried it. My second shock was when noticing the headroom, actually struggled a bit cause I am so used to other solutions.

Good reverbs require too much DSP power (probably as much as an amp sim. itself) so its usually the softspot of multi-fx units. Cheap stuff are more delay based, meaning the reflections are very few so sounds thin and works best only if added very little to the tone. I like some Chinese brand solutions, specially drive pedals but for such pedal looking at USA priced probably not going lesser for 100 dolar new is a good lowest but safe limit.

Personally, I love the "sterileness" of Mesa clean, even more when paired with passive EMGs and vice versa: Fender's, Marshall's or Peavey's clean is too organic for my tastes.

Back to multi-distortion pedals, I did a little research and OD-20, EQ-20 and such are available in great numbers in my country used at quite low price, so correct me if I'm wrong but it must mean there's something wrong with them. It's the same for any piece of rig or other machines. Maybe that's why Boss developed another series hoping to make a better line of multifx that people actually don't re-sell after a month.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 19 2019, 10:43 PM
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 19 2019, 07:00 PM) *
Back to multi-distortion pedals, I did a little research and OD-20, EQ-20 and such are available in great numbers in my country used at quite low price, so correct me if I'm wrong but it must mean there's something wrong with them. It's the same for any piece of rig or other machines. Maybe that's why Boss developed another series hoping to make a better line of multifx that people actually don't re-sell after a month.

Yeah, those stuff needs some amp breakup to sound half-decent. Can be cool as boosts (I really liked some of the OD's in my gt1 I sold a while ago) too but not really for the clean channel, even Helix owners complain on the high-gain pedals. Most are emulations of classic pedals anyway which were designed to work with some amp breakup going on.

I'd also assume if used with a processor or a digital amp they would suck. Even with the Katana my experience is digital drive solutions really shows itself. So I think thats why Boss's 200 series will be hybrid designed, using some analog stages to get a better tone (like strymon did).

I can recommend the Boss DA2 though, works great with fender-ish tones on the clean channel. Not super highgain but not low either, they're discontinued so could be found for a decent price on the used market.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Mertay   New Boss Pedals   Jun 13 2019, 04:32 PM
- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 13 2019, 04:32 PM) ht...   Jun 13 2019, 05:47 PM
|- - Kristofer Dahl   QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 13 2019, 06:47 PM) Seem...   Jun 14 2019, 09:13 AM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 13 2019, 01:47 PM) I RE...   Jun 14 2019, 10:23 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Id have to agree. HOnestly, at this price range, I...   Jun 15 2019, 05:12 AM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 15 2019, 04:12 ...   Jun 15 2019, 01:46 PM
|- - Adam   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 15 2019, 05:12 ...   Jun 15 2019, 03:00 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Then you are the target market I''m an an...   Jun 18 2019, 03:46 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Mertay   Yeah the eq got the most instant feedback of looki...   Jun 13 2019, 07:17 PM
|- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 13 2019, 07:17 PM) Ye...   Jun 13 2019, 08:14 PM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 13 2019, 07:14 PM) ... ...   Jun 13 2019, 08:28 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Todd Simpson   I love playing with new pedals I hope these show ...   Jun 14 2019, 01:55 AM
|- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 13 2019, 08:28 PM) Su...   Jun 14 2019, 02:41 AM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 14 2019, 01:41 AM) I ha...   Jun 14 2019, 08:10 AM
nnn
nnn
- - klasaine   They look interesting but they 'street' at...   Jun 14 2019, 02:56 AM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 14 2019, 01:56 AM) ...   Jun 14 2019, 08:48 AM
nnn
- - Mertay   They're basically breaking apart the gt1000 al...   Jun 14 2019, 11:11 PM
- - klasaine   They sound pretty good but as Todd says, "all...   Jun 18 2019, 05:48 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   Cool amp!!!! That's the BIG I...   Jun 19 2019, 01:32 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Todd Simpson   Took my ampero in to my local guitar shop (turned ...   Jun 20 2019, 07:10 AM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 20 2019, 06:10 ...   Jun 20 2019, 01:51 PM
nnn
- - Mertay   RE: New Boss Pedals   Jun 22 2019, 08:41 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   I hope these show up in guitar center. I'd lov...   Jun 22 2019, 07:01 PM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 22 2019, 06:01 ...   Jun 23 2019, 11:30 AM
|- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 23 2019, 11:30 AM) Wh...   Jun 25 2019, 12:44 PM
||- - Mertay   QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 25 2019, 11:44 AM) I...   Jun 25 2019, 02:06 PM
nnn
|- - Todd Simpson   For me, as long as I can get two delays in sequenc...   Jul 27 2019, 08:31 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Mertay   RE: New Boss Pedals   Jul 24 2019, 10:24 PM
- - Adam   It sure looks like it can pack a punch in the mix....   Jul 29 2019, 03:51 PM
- - Mertay   RE: New Boss Pedals   Jul 29 2019, 04:59 PM
|- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 29 2019, 03:59 PM) I...   Aug 14 2019, 09:55 PM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 14 2019, 08:55 PM) I ma...   Aug 15 2019, 01:33 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   The OD3 is a classic pedal imho It always seemed ...   Aug 15 2019, 03:49 AM
nnn
nnn
- - klasaine   As Todd alludes to the OD3 has a flatter EQ contou...   Aug 15 2019, 04:56 PM
- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 15 2019, 12:33 AM) Gl...   Aug 17 2019, 01:20 AM
- - Mertay   QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 17 2019, 12:20 AM) ... ...   Aug 17 2019, 02:54 AM
- - Adam   QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 17 2019, 01:54 AM) It...   Aug 20 2019, 02:06 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:12 AM