Bought This By Mistake, Should I keep it or return it?
Phil66
Dec 16 2015, 09:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,

I bought THIS yesterday but I think I go the wrong thing. I wanted to be able to easily swap amp heads into one cab (keeping the mic in the same place wink.gif) I thought this would do it but I'm not sure if it will handle an amplified signal as it only mentions instruments for the input in the manual.

Question is, is it something worth keeping? Is it one of those things that most people end up with anyway so I might as well keep it or should i just return and swap for something that I did want in the first place?

Cheers folks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Dec 17 2015, 02:06 AM
GMC:er
On MusicianFriend ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-...-with-isolation ) someone posted that this worked to switch between to heads into the same cabinet. Did you try it?

Also, it could be made to work if for some reason that poster is wrong but it depends on the cab your using, meaning you could run two heads into a half stack buy adding another cabinet jack input and having one head power the right speakers and another the left, essentially turing the half stack into 2 2x12's. But that would mean rewiring the half stack. In order to run two heads into the same cabinet without mods you'd have to use something like the Tonebone head switcher... http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php if your testing of the ArtCool does not work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2015, 06:23 AM
What gene said! smile.gif Try the one you have, and if it doesn't work out just ship it back. It's already bought so you might as well smile.gif

You really want the RADIAL box though to be honest.

http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php

It's meant for what you are trying to do. BTW make sure you get the right radial there are three versions depending on your amp heads being tube or SS.

Todd

\\
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 16 2015, 04:37 PM) *
Hello everyone,

I bought THIS yesterday but I think I go the wrong thing. I wanted to be able to easily swap amp heads into one cab (keeping the mic in the same place wink.gif) I thought this would do it but I'm not sure if it will handle an amplified signal as it only mentions instruments for the input in the manual.

Question is, is it something worth keeping? Is it one of those things that most people end up with anyway so I might as well keep it or should i just return and swap for something that I did want in the first place?

Cheers folks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2015, 10:08 AM
Thank you gentlemen,
I've emailed the shop about it, if they say it should do it and it doesn't I'm safe for a refund but if I open it and use it; as it isn't sold as an amp head splitter it might be tricky. I'll let you know what they say.
It doesn't need to be a footswitch. It will be sitting on my desk so any other ideas would be great. Can you not just use a switch box?
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2015, 06:59 PM
Depends on the switchbox I'd think. The products we mentioned are switch boxes but they are not cheap as they are built to handle amp output instead of just line output. Did the folks at the shop you mentioned suggest anything?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 17 2015, 05:08 AM) *
Thank you gentlemen,
I've emailed the shop about it, if they say it should do it and it doesn't I'm safe for a refund but if I open it and use it; as it isn't sold as an amp head splitter it might be tricky. I'll let you know what they say.
It doesn't need to be a footswitch. It will be sitting on my desk so any other ideas would be great. Can you not just use a switch box?
Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks Todd,
They haven't got back to me yet, probably busy with the tone of year. I'm thinking I might keep it anyway. If I got a new interface, could I use this to send guitar to amp and guitar to GT001, mic from amp to Presonus preamp to new interface, GT001 to line in on new interface so that I can record a dry signal but also reamp the dry through the GT001 too?
Hope this makes sense because it doesn't to me laugh.gif
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 17 2015, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 17 2015, 07:02 PM) *
Thanks Todd,
They haven't got back to me yet, probably busy with the tone of year. I'm thinking I might keep it anyway. If I got a new interface, could I use this to send guitar to amp and guitar to GT001, mic from amp to Presonus preamp to new interface, GT001 to line in on new interface so that I can record a dry signal but also reamp the dry through the GT001 too?
Hope this makes sense because it doesn't to me laugh.gif
Cheers

The reamping feature of the gt001 would only work if its used as a soundcard.

You can however use the box for convenience as not have to plug/un-plug the guitar jack when selecting either miced amp, amp cab. sim. out or gt001 (as processor) with or without buying a new interface.

I'm not sure if there are any risks for amp a/b'ing, best is waiting the stores reply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2015, 08:43 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 17 2015, 07:31 PM) *
The reamping feature of the gt001 would only work if its used as a soundcard.

You can however use the box for convenience as not have to plug/un-plug the guitar jack when selecting either miced amp, amp cab. sim. out or gt001 (as processor) with or without buying a new interface.

I'm not sure if there are any risks for amp a/b'ing, best is waiting the stores reply.

Thanks Mertay,

It's all confusing but I'll get there in the end smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 22 2015, 08:59 PM
Hello again,

OK, the shop never got back to me and I haven't had time to call when their lines are open so I've hooked it up. I've put one amp into one input and one amp into the other, I've then put a lead from one output to my mic'd cab and then a lead from that cab to the other cab. I did all this before putting the battery in.

It is working better than I wanted it to without the battery in, ie, I only have to swap the guitar cable to which amp I want and that amp comes out of the cab, I don't have to touch the switchbox. Can you foresee any problems?

Cheers folks.

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 24 2015, 12:06 AM
Nudge wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2015, 08:15 AM
Anyone who owns some tube amps wanna chime in? I'd say if the amps are behaving, then it's probably ok .

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 23 2015, 07:06 PM) *
Nudge wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:09 AM