2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Help Choosing A Sound Interface
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2021, 11:04 PM
Instructor
Hi friends! I need help for my brother (Cirse’s & Ramen’s bassist).

He needs a new sound interface and he basically wants something like this one:

Motu m4
https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/

Do you know any other good options like these one that are good quality, USB, and include Loopback?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 21 2021, 11:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I don't know what "Loopback" is but in my own experience you can't go wrong with Focusrite cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 21 2021, 11:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Focusrite

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2021, 11:41 PM
Instructor
He told me that he experienced latency issues with Focusrite Scarlet. That's why he was looking for other options.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2021, 12:00 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 21 2021, 10:41 PM) *
He told me that he experienced latency issues with Focusrite Scarlet. That's why he was looking for other options.

There is no latency with Focusrite is you used the direct recording monitor.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 12:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 21 2021, 08:00 PM) *
There is no latency with Focusrite is you used the direct recording monitor.

He told me that he had these issues when working on big projects with many channels.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 22 2021, 12:42 AM
GMC:er
I googled and found this; https://www.sustainpunch.com/low-latency-audio-interfaces/

Though not the same motu soundcard, we could guess the usb hardware and driver are same. Compared to a focusrite its only 1ms less latency.

To get a lower latency than such budget soundcard, one has to go UAD, RME etc. which are around 4x the price. So while I'm sure the motu is also a decent soundcard (bigger models popular here for outside recording) it won't be worth it to jump from focusrite.

I don't know the specific problem but he could try a different asio driver like asio4all or some DAW's has their own asio drivers. Also if he uses plug-ins in those projects, even if they're zero latency still cause of the cpu demand lowest buffer may not start to work.

If he isn't in a rush, should investigate if a plug-in he uses is problematic or maybe a windows setting change may increase performance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timmez
Feb 22 2021, 08:13 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have an ik multimedia axe io and have to say i really love it.
Before i had a focusrite scarlett but i think this one is better.
Ill also have a focusrite clarett but ill use that one for recording with my band or other multi recording.
But i really like the axe io

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 22 2021, 09:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
I have and I truly love the products from Presonus.

My audio interface was quite expensive but in the lower price range, Presonus Studio 26c and 68c include loopback function (only available with the Windows driver, there is no option for Mac OS X).

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 22 2021, 01:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 22 2021, 12:09 AM) *
He told me that he had these issues when working on big projects with many channels.

I believe he needs a thunderbolt port , if your computer supports it an interface with it, is almost 1000. I have a usb-c3 and it is faster but still lags with video editing. USB-C is not any faster than usb 2 and they to talk it up like it is but only usb-c3 is the faster version if you computer has those ports , but ultimately you want thunderbolt
USB sends the information in " blocks" (if you take its meaning ), once the block is full this is the lag as it waits for the information in the next block, so from focusrite to motto you are still sending the same size blocks , although speeds vary due to drivers , but not that much. USB-C3 send the same size block but ten blocks at the same time that why it can handles more information without lagging. Thunderbolt just sends everything at the same time and can handle about 40 times the information as usb-c or usb2 which is the same with different connectors

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Great info! Thanks a lot friends! He doesn't have a GMC account to answer here but I'll share this thread with him.

I think that everything is clearer now.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 23 2021, 02:47 AM
One thing to keep in mind with large track counts, it could be something other than the interface. in a large track count project, especially with plugins/vst/etc. the cpu load is increased and ram load is increased. If there isn't sufficient ram on the machine, it will have to start swapping to the hard drive. If the drive is an ssd, this is usually ok. If it's a regular drive, it can slow things down. Also, check cpu usage during playback. There are cpu utilities built in to win/mac. If the cpu is being overly taxed, that too can cause latency. So basically, it can be down to system resources. If the computer has usb 3, then the interface itself should have more than enough bandwidth. Also, take the samples setting down if it's in reaper. Take it down as low as he can get it before the system become unstable. This will reduce "round trip latency".

However, that MOTU m4 unit is worth a look imho. It's top notch tech and has very good usb drivers. 2.5 ms Round Trip Latency (at 96 kHz with a 32 sample buffer). which is awesome.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 22 2021, 10:01 AM) *
Great info! Thanks a lot friends! He doesn't have a GMC account to answer here but I'll share this thread with him.

I think that everything is clearer now.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 23 2021, 06:27 AM
If you find out that it is the computer and not the Focusrite, the 3rd Gen Scarlett, above the 2i2 have the loopback feature.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 25 2021, 09:11 PM
I'd never heard of the loopback feature, I did some research and I think I can find many uses for it and maybe streamline some of the boxes and cables that I have.

I've just ordered a 3rd Gen Scarlett 18i8 which has the feature, looking forward to trying it out. It will be here on Monday.

I won't let it be a distraction Gab, honest unsure.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2021, 09:23 PM
Instructor
Happy ending... he finally got a Motu M4. smile.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 25 2021, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 25 2021, 08:23 PM) *
Happy ending... he finally got a Motu M4. smile.gif

Attached Image

Brilliant, let us know how he gets on with it please. I'm interested to see if it solves the latency issue. I love my Focusrites and it will take a lot to pull me away from them now, but I'd still like to know for future reference wink.gif

Cheers

Phi

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 25 2021, 09:38 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 25 2021, 08:23 PM) *

Cool, let us know if it helped the problem and how it compares to focusrite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2021, 09:45 PM
Instructor
Yeah! Then I'll tell you. He knows that this is not the supeb option but it's a step forward in quality comparing to the focusrite (2i2 2nd gen) that he had.

I'll be back with more details.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2021, 02:58 AM
Thats an amazing interface for the price. The metering alone is worth the price of admission IMHO. top notch motu bits inside etc. I think he'll be happy smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 25 2021, 04:45 PM) *
Yeah! Then I'll tell you. He knows that this is not the supeb option but it's a step forward in quality comparing to the focusrite (2i2 2nd gen) that he had.

I'll be back with more details.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 27 2021, 08:42 PM
Well my 18i8 3rd Gen was due on Monday, I ordered on Thursday night so Monday seemed good, those good people at Andertons got it to me today though smile.gif, free delivery and it got here by 9:30 this morning.

I have to say "thank you" to Gab for bringing the loopback function to my attention, I had never heard of it but after some research I thought it would be something I could use and means I can get rid of one of little boxes on my desk. I used to have to use a USB soundcard from the second headphone socket on my 2nd Gen 18i8 but I can now use that to use TH-U into my Fender or Peavey amp cool.gif

Cheers Gab, you gave me a good excuse to get some new gear wink.gif I've been loving the halos on my 3rd Gen solo ever since I got it for my holiday home, now I have them on my main unit smile.gif

Anyone in the UK wanna buy an18i8? It will be going on the bay tomorrow wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:33 PM