Noisy Strings, unwanted sympathetic vibration
waynedcoville
Nov 10 2012, 10:32 PM
GMC:er
Okay so I'm a bass player trying my hand at guitar lessons. One thing I'm having trouble with trying to keep unplayed strings quiet when played string are sounding, e.i. when playing arpeggios or string skipping techniques and especially when I use fuzz I get a lot of unwanted sympathetic vibration. I have a noise gate in my rig but it doesn't seem to help. Is it just sloppy playing or are the rumors true that bass and distortion pedals don't mix?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 12 2012, 06:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Try to employ the muting technique to keep the strings you are not playing as quiet as possible.

On the bass this is done :

* with the fretting hand (usually for muting the higher strings - D and G)
* with the plucking hand (usually for muting the lower strings - E and A)

It is very important to master the muting techniques and the one for the right hand might not be that obvious.

Please check out these lessons for the right hand technique that will allow you to do passive muting with the right hand :
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/

On a side note - bass players do tend to like a certain "new strings sound" and tolerate more (in relation to guitar players) the "fret buzz sound" due to low action smile.gif
Learning to proper "muting" is essential for getting and precise stronging sounding bass lines.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Nov 13 2012, 02:55 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 12 2012, 05:33 PM) *
Try to employ the muting technique to keep the strings you are not playing as quiet as possible.

On the bass this is done :

* with the fretting hand (usually for muting the higher strings - D and G)
* with the plucking hand (usually for muting the lower strings - E and A)

It is very important to master the muting techniques and the one for the right hand might not be that obvious.

Please check out these lessons for the right hand technique that will allow you to do passive muting with the right hand :
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/

On a side note - bass players do tend to like a certain "new strings sound" and tolerate more (in relation to guitar players) the "fret buzz sound" due to low action smile.gif
Learning to proper "muting" is essential for getting and precise stronging sounding bass lines.

thanks man. ya i've always known about muting techniques and i do employ them as much as i can. right hand muting is difficult for me because i am a shorter guy (with a shorter reach) and my bass has a 35 1/4 scale length. i will try to focus on that though. thank you!

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 13 2012, 09:16 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Nov 13 2012, 02:55 AM) *
thanks man. ya i've always known about muting techniques and i do employ them as much as i can. right hand muting is difficult for me because i am a shorter guy (with a shorter reach) and my bass has a 35 1/4 scale length. i will try to focus on that though. thank you!

I think you'll be able to get it. Right hand muting is basically all about moving your thumb anchor as you pluck (in opposite of having it fixed to one spot like the bass pickup). When you anchor your thumb on E string for example, you are effectively muting it! That also allows you to always maintain the same plucking hand fingers angle of attack - which in turns makes your plucking more economic (you are then only practicing one certain motion/position and if you have your thumb anchored to one spot, your attack angle will change for every string so its always a new motion to learn).

Please let me know how it goes and if you need any help along the way.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:32 AM