7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Which Recording Interface?
Phil66
Mar 2 2016, 09:26 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Mertay and Todd
I'll check that out but I'll email radial too. I don't mind paying more if something works, no point paying for something that doesn't smile.gif
Really got to get back on track with practise though.

Cheers dudes smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2016, 08:53 PM
Hello folks,

Just been thinking (again rolleyes.gif ), the back of the Focusrite has spdif which on the box, it calls it FX Loop. If I got some jack to phono cables, could the Boss be put through that?

Cheers smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 2 2016, 10:34 PM
GMC:er
Never got into spdif but I didn't understand what would be the difference if you placed it line?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I didn't know if there would be a difference either laugh.gif but I was also thinking I could split the signal to my amp fx loop smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 3 2016, 12:32 AM
The SPDIF is an output so you can use it to send audio to things that have a SPDIF input. Some outboard fx gear has spdif input. As far as using it wirht your amp, not much help sad.gif Unless there is a spdif in on your amp? It's not just an audio jack, it's a proprietary type of signal that needs to connect to / from another spdif jack. If your GT001 has spdif out, you can use that to connect to spdif in on your i8. It will carry a stereo signal.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 2 2016, 02:53 PM) *
Hello folks,

Just been thinking (again rolleyes.gif ), the back of the Focusrite has spdif which on the box, it calls it FX Loop. If I got some jack to phono cables, could the Boss be put through that?

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 3 2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks Todd,

I think you've saved me a headache wink.gif smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Mar 5 2016, 09:17 PM
Wow I don't know about alot of the stuff listed on this thread. Mine is very simple and easy for a newbie. I used M-audio interface USB to computer with sound blaster live card on computer. Rokit 5 monitors with Audicity to record with, its free and not bad to use. I use a Boss GT10 processor. I was dissapointed in the sound of the monitors, no bass. I use that setup for music school.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2016, 02:48 AM
You will learn as you go smile.gif I use KRK ROKIT 6 monitors which are very similar to yours. The 5 inch work best when paired with a KRK subwoofer. The KRK 10 inch sub runs about $400 new. it will change your life in terms of your mixing. smile.gif

QUOTE (Georgia Rocker @ Mar 5 2016, 03:17 PM) *
Wow I don't know about alot of the stuff listed on this thread. Mine is very simple and easy for a newbie. I used M-audio interface USB to computer with sound blaster live card on computer. Rokit 5 monitors with Audicity to record with, its free and not bad to use. I use a Boss GT10 processor. I was dissapointed in the sound of the monitors, no bass. I use that setup for music school.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 6 2016, 11:44 AM
Hello folks.
Here's how the problem with the noise is going so far. I went onto Home Recording forum. HERE is the thread.

Basically they advised me to buy a ground loop isolator which is what I have done and am waiting for it to be delivered.

For what it cost its a worthwhile try.

I also emailed Raial, they recommended either the TwinCity or the Shotgun if I want a bit of future proofing.

Chhers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 6 2016, 03:03 PM
Cool, let us know how it goes

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2016, 03:38 PM
Noise is a constant problem IMHO. In a home recording situation there are a plethora (yup, just used plethora in a sentence, my english teach would be so proud) of things that can cause/add to noise. Something like inconsistent cable/power electricity/grounding in a houses / flats wiring/electricity is the first thing that pops to mind. Anyone using single coil pickups can tell you about the hum they "pickup" all by themselves which is why "hum buckers" were invented in the first place.

Once you get most of the kinks out of a recording chain, (by eliminating as much as possible from the chain then adding things back one at a time) you may still find you have unwanted noise.

At that point it's a hardware and or software noise gate that will be your best friend. But start with Guitar / interface / computer and if you have a laptop, unplug from house power and then plug back in to house power to see if even the battery in the laptop is causing issue.

Chasing down noise can be a pain but it's worth it in the end even if you end up just curing it with a noise gate smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 6 2016, 05:44 AM) *
Hello folks.
Here's how the problem with the noise is going so far. I went onto Home Recording forum. HERE is the thread.

Basically they advised me to buy a ground loop isolator which is what I have done and am waiting for it to be delivered.

For what it cost its a worthwhile try.

I also emailed Raial, they recommended either the TwinCity or the Shotgun if I want a bit of future proofing.

Chhers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 7 2016, 03:41 PM
Yeah thanks Todd,

I will try this first, it's very very quiet until I plug the output of the switcher to any amp head, it's worse on the Vox head but plugging just a guitar in causes no issues.

We'll get there smile.gif

Cheers dude.

Hope all is ok with you and yours wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 10 2016, 10:14 PM
OK, I've sorted the noise problem. I tried the Ground Loop Isolator in between my Boss GT-001 and my Focusrite and it made it worse so I put one of the leads from one output of the switcher to the input on my Focusrite. The other output goes to my head. All noise gone except for the usual gain hum that you get.

Only problem is, when I switch from output to just the amp to outputting to both amp and interface I get a volume drop AND a tonal change from the amp. Any ideas?

Cheers folks, Here is a soundcloud first with single output second with output to amp AND interface.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/output-variation

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 10 2016, 10:40 PM
So the noise is totally gt001 related? lets keep that in mind but focus on the other issue for now.

Output can be compansated no bigge but can you share whats going on on the focusrite when the signal is split? I'd like to hear that tonal change on a pure clean tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 10 2016, 11:50 PM
Sorry Mertay, I don't understand. Do you want me to record the amp clean or do you want me to record the amp completely disconnected form anything else??

Cheers mate

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 11 2016, 07:52 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 10 2016, 10:50 PM) *
Sorry Mertay, I don't understand. Do you want me to record the amp clean or do you want me to record the amp completely disconnected form anything else??

Cheers mate

smile.gif

Actually split the signal like you normally do, connecting one of the outputs to the amp and the other to focusrite (direct). I'd like to hear the direct signal from focusrite, then connect the guitar directly into the focusrite and play the same thing for comparing.

I did a quick web search last light, in forums people complain what you experience with splitters as only the expensive ones (like radial) keep the guitars level and tone intact. But each unit has its own thing going on, what I'd like to know is though the level drops with yours (this can be managed/compansated with your pedal) I'd like to know if the tone changes dramatically with the clean signal.

I couldn't be sure with the distorted signal as output of the guitar has so much to do with distortion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 11 2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks Mertay,

I'll try that tonight. The guitar was going straight to amp only via the switcher, I was going to the Focusrite via the Hotbird but the Hotbird was in bypass.

Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 11 2016, 09:16 PM
Mertay,

I've just read your comment again, one of us is mixed up smile.gif The recording I sent was the sound from the AMP, it's the AMP sound that is altered when I switch both outputs on from the Switchbox.

Am I misunderstanding?

When I record it will just have to be open string stuff as I have hurt my hand. See HERE.

I'm thinking that you want the clean sound from the amp direct and via the switcher, not the Focusrite direct and from the switcher. Am I correct or am I going insane cool.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 11 2016, 09:44 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 11 2016, 08:16 PM) *
Mertay,

I've just read your comment again, one of us is mixed up smile.gif The recording I sent was the sound from the AMP, it's the AMP sound that is altered when I switch both outputs on from the Switchbox.

Am I misunderstanding?

When I record it will just have to be open string stuff as I have hurt my hand. See HERE.

I'm thinking that you want the clean sound from the amp direct and via the switcher, not the Focusrite direct and from the switcher. Am I correct or am I going insane cool.gif

Cheers buddy.

OUCH! ohmy.gif

I felt really bad when I saw the photo sad.gif no guitar for you atleast a week or 2! give it good time to heal and just to be safe don't force your wrists this weekend. I hope it will heal quick.

As for the switch, what I wonder is its effect on the signals tone rather than level. Its harder for me to judge from the amps tone so thats why I'd like to hear the direct connection to soundcard from the switch. But not now biggrin.gif just bump this topic when you feel better and we'll contionue.

Checking theory is a good idea during the resting period, also keep in mind if you can also check the web on mixing ask anything needed if you have any questions.

Also you can watch these channels if you get bored, by the end you'll have a really good understanding of guitar equipment;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUXq8mGmo...ItuTs10w/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfms3m2s7MsFs53dVmiw0zw

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 11 2016, 09:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 11 2016, 10:20 PM
Thank Mertay,

The switcher doesn't seem to alter the tone or level going into the Focusrite, just the amp. I'll check it out tomorrow. I can try and get this sorted while I can't play properly, at least then it won't stop me practising smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:31 AM