42 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 41 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Phil66
Aug 17 2017, 09:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Another go. Warts and all, the slide to the 12th fret is a BIG fail but I like to show the bad bits as I hope you can advise me as to why they end up being bad wink.gif Plus it might encourage new member to not be so shy about their abilities being on display smile.gif

I started off trying for a Fruscianti feel but it fell apart after a couple of bars laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBg4vOfXTD8

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2017, 01:45 AM
GMC:er
Another very cool take! I want to congratulate you on being willing to video yourself and having the stones to put up takes warts and all. You gotta be willing to play a few bad bits on the way. Just part of the process. I see what you mean about the slide but it was worth a shot smile.gif A few more slides and you'll have it. I liked this solo for the same reasons I liked the last one, very good sense of harmony/melody without the need to go full shred which is always a temptation, at least for me, but this backing is begging for a melody through line, not really begging for flashy licks. So good job using your ear to determine what was needed and play exactly that.

I like the tone and the playing and above all I LOVE THAT SHIRT! I didn't know those were even available smile.gif I'm going to have to get myself one!! Unless you had it custom made! The tele is a good choice for this track imho. Also, you play with confidence even though the shifting sands of the backing are trying to throw you off the entire time.

You are the ONLY player to give this track a shot and I give you huge props on that! It's built on purpose to be hard to play over and you do it with grace. Nice!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 17 2017, 04:34 PM) *
Another go. Warts and all, the slide to the 12th fret is a BIG fail but I like to show the bad bits as I hope you can advise me as to why they end up being bad wink.gif Plus it might encourage new member to not be so shy about their abilities being on display smile.gif

I started off trying for a Fruscianti feel but it fell apart after a couple of bars laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBg4vOfXTD8

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2017, 07:21 AM
Thanks Todd,

I'm really chuffed with your comments. I have to admit to using the scale picture to help me a bit when moving around but I did actually notice when I hit a "duff" note which is a good thing IMHO, it means my ears are slowly getting better smile.gif

What I've done in the past is keep making takes until there are no obvious (to me anyway) mistakes but I've been thinking that that could give a wrong impression of my skill level and will not merit any advice. The bad thing about doing it that way is that is that you might be watching the one take out of 20 that I fluked it so you will think I am better than I am, whereas if I leave the bad bits in, you can advise wink.gif

The tee shirt is a custom job, as is the Gab's Army one you've seen.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 18 2017, 08:48 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 19 2017, 10:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Here

Back from hollidays, i discover this.... what the hell !!! it's odd and weird !!!

i'll do my best

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2017, 09:34 PM
It's VERY odd and VERY wierd indeed. THERE IS NO BASS GUITAR! So the guitars are playing out of time with each other making it hard to find the right rythm. It's like walking on quicksand a bit but that's the point of this challenge smile.gif Focus on playing a melody line using longer notes and more vibrato. Give it a go! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 19 2017, 05:39 PM) *
Hi Here

Back from hollidays, i discover this.... what the hell !!! it's odd and weird !!!

i'll do my best

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2017, 06:06 AM
I'll hold this one more week to get your take. Cant wait to hear it!

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 19 2017, 05:39 PM) *
Hi Here

i'll do my best

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 26 2017, 03:18 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 27 2017, 07:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Nice DeGroot !!

on my side i cannot connect to any form of ideas

wait for the next challenge

Cheers

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2017, 02:53 AM
NICELY DONE!!! I was hoping you would make a take for this wink.gif Per usual your takes never hit me where I'm expecting them too. You always manage to play something very original that leaves me hitting the rewind button and going "What was that?" which is great smile.gif

Your technique is spot on, hand synch is tight, tone is great and note choice is killer. I really liked your use of chordal bits as lead bits before launching in to some very impressive scale work. I did notice that you were going for one really high note that was just beyond the range of the Les Pauls fret board it seemed, but I liked that you were pushing the instrument beyond it's intended specs. If a guitar lacks 24 or 27 frets, just BEND!!!!!!

In short a very enjoyable solo and with a very improv feel. Nice! In short you just....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 26 2017, 10:18 AM) *

Well, as they say, you can't win em all. This was a very difficult backing and folks did have some trouble getting in to the groove of it. I did want folks to struggle a bit to find footing on this one but perhaps not struggle as much as they did. I think I'll lighten up a bit on this next one smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 27 2017, 02:52 PM) *
Nice DeGroot !!

on my side i cannot connect to any form of ideas

wait for the next challenge

Cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2017, 06:27 AM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE X-53 !!!
GAME OF THRONES CHALLENGE!
Attached Image

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex53

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/solo-challenge-53-game-of-thrones-by-patrik-berg

KEY: B Minor

SCALES TO USE: B Minor

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 3 2017, 08:42 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 29 2017, 01:38 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Ok, I mic'd up the amp this time. Been a while since I recorded with a mic. Tried a couple takes to get a decent mic placement. Let me know if it sounds OK on your end! Thanks

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Aug 30 2017, 03:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2017, 05:36 AM
KILLER!!! I can hear the chordal bits at the start and they match perfectly with the backing and I can hear each individual note on the shreddy bits as well. A bit of mic place is well worth the effort Imho!! I did notice you panned your performance to one side of the stereo field? It still works smile.gif Just curious is this was on purpose or happy accident?

I like the transition of of the chords/intro in to a melodic through line then in to a more busy bit and then finally in to a bit of fine shreddery back in to melodic then to hammering/tapping. It's the transitions that really wreck it for many a player. You gracefully transition between different speeds/styles/picking/hammering and stick the landing to boot.

Each bit works well on it's own which is very important in solo construction IMHO. Also, I hope everyone takes note of your use of "Dynamics" here. By that I mean you don't just play one speed or one thing. You really vary it up quite a bit and return twice to the melody through line bit which acts like a chorus would in a song with vocals. It's the touch stone of the entire solo on which the other bits borrow from even when they speed up or turn in to a tapping bit.

Not once are you out of key, not once did I hear string noise or even a missed note. In short you NAILED THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF IT!!! and....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 28 2017, 08:38 PM) *
Ok, I mic'd up the amp this time. Been a while since I recorded with a mic. Tried a couple takes to get a decent mic placement. Let me know if it sounds OK on your end! Thanks

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 30 2017, 12:38 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks for the comments! I checked about the stereo setting and it is balanced in the middle. It did have an off balanced sound to me too. Like as if it was double tracked or something... I don't know though. I noticed a compressor was on but I doubt that would be it. My only thought is that there is some amount of ambient from the backing from when I was recording. I'm not very technical with recording. As you say, it still works. Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 30 2017, 10:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Here

This is my take, seem to be in a time of tech regression, but this is a cycle....

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2017, 01:41 AM
My Internet access is currently down and I'm responding on my phone.
I can't wait to hear your take! Hope the internet is back up soon. It's probably
Related to the severe weather we have been having. At least we are not
Flooded like they are in Texas which is a very sad situation indeed sad.gif

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 30 2017, 05:13 PM) *
Hi Here

This is my take, seem to be in a time of tech regression, but this is a cycle....

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2017, 06:51 AM
NICE!!! I'm really digging what you guys are doing with this backing. I hope we have wads more!! This is a really fun backing folks so don't be shy!! DIG IN!!!

I like how you backed off a bit from the urge to head to straight in to shredland!! I'm often tempted myself to drift directly in to shreddery and forget all about the melody, which is a critical failure of many a fine player IMHO. Taking the driving or underlying melody of a backing in to account is the best way to create compelling solos. Without the melody through line to hook on to, our brains just don't seem to latch on as it were and all the notes sorta blur together.

You show a very good command of scale usage and note selection here and build a nice underlying melody before expanding on the idea and spicing things up a pinch toward the end. This is also great to see as "building up" to spicy bits is yet another stumbling block for many players. Learning to lay the tonal groundwork, before going off a bit and getting more technical, is a good sign of a well practiced and well seasoned player. I've always said that you play as if you've been playing for much longer than you actually have. You've come a long way in a fairly short amount of time which is great. I've seen folks work for many years and not make the progress you have made so super congrats are in order!!

Glad to see you taking a stab at the backing btw! Always fun listening to what you come up with! You really pulled this off with grace. in short you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Also you remain our HIGHEST RANKED SHRED FEST PLAYER!! So double congrats are in order!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 30 2017, 05:13 PM) *
Hi Here

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2017, 08:56 PM
Sorry Todd,

I just can't come up with anything for this. sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2017, 08:15 PM
I'm guessing you mean nothing that you think is cool? I know your playing pretty well at this point, I'm pretty sure you could play over nearly anything if you knew what key it was in. You don't have to play over the entire thing, it's a LOOOONNG bit. But pick just one part. Say the first 30 seconds. And just stay in key and see where it takes you. I often do that with long solos. Break them down in to small chunks. Just one chunk would do the job smile.gif I want you to push yourself a bit here if at all possible to just take a stab and play something. Even that is progress. The only time we don't get better is when we don't try. I did a solo for this myself which I'll share here. Hopefully it will give you some ideas smile.gif you should recognize all the licks in it as most are from our Missions smile.gif I"m using the MINOR SCALE here almost exclusively. I did do some harmonies but ignore those. Just listen for the chops and how they are put in. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/patrik-berg-game-of-thrones?in=techniqueswithtodd/sets/guitarmasterclass-net

You've been putting in the hours, you can do this Phill!

Todd

CALLING OUT ALL GMCERS TO CHALLENGE THEMSELVES AND MAKE A TAKE ON THIS TRACK!!!!!!

Audio only takes are just fine!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 2 2017, 03:56 PM) *
Sorry Todd,

I just can't come up with anything for this. sad.gif

The place that you have the badges right now is the only place I know for them. Under your name? You mean over on the left below your profile icon? I don't thinks that's doable unless you just take the badge in photoshop and shrink them down and make the another layer on top your profile icon and just re upload your profile icon smile.gif Hope that helps!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 8 2016, 05:48 PM) *
Thanks Todd,
Will these badges show underneath our names?
Cheers buddy

Any time Soldier!!!! You have serious potential and I won't see it wasted Soldier! Not on my watch smile.gif Looking forward to hearing your track. You don't have to play fast one this one, listen to my take, I played slow the entire time!! It actually works out well against this backing to play slow and melodic. I'm sure you can come up with something spiff smile.gif FIGHT FOR IT SOLDIER!!!! Whenever you feel uncomfy or unsettled, that's the time to push through as that's when growth really happens!!! FIGHT ON SOLDIER!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 3 2017, 04:03 PM) *
Ok Todd, Tomorrow I'll put something down. I struggle when I think the track requires a bit of speed, I can't play fast yet huh.gif

Thanks for kicking my ass Todd wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 3 2017, 10:39 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2017, 09:03 PM
Ok Todd, Tomorrow I'll put something down. I struggle when I think the track requires a bit of speed, I can't play fast yet huh.gif

Thanks for kicking my ass Todd wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2017, 09:15 PM
CALLING OUT ALL GMCERS, STUDENTS AND INSTRUCTORS!!! TIME TO CHALLENGE YOURSELVES!!!!

!!! SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE X-53 !!!
GAME OF THRONES CHALLENGE!
Attached Image

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex53

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/solo-challenge-53-game-of-thrones-by-patrik-berg

KEY: B Minor

SCALES TO USE: B Minor

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 3 2017, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:57 AM