7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Which Recording Interface?
Mertay
Mar 11 2016, 10:52 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 11 2016, 09:20 PM) *
Thank Mertay,

The switcher doesn't seem to alter the tone or level going into the Focusrite, just the amp. I'll check it out tomorrow. I can try and get this sorted while I can't play properly, at least then it won't stop me practising smile.gif

Cheers

interesting, just make sure its actually splitting when trying again. If the degredation only happens with the amp this suggests me that one of the outputs of the splitter has a defect...swap the outputs from the switch and if again no change with the direct sound but amp level decreasing its beyond me to understand whats going on biggrin.gif

I'll be away tomorrow but hopefully log-in sunday night to check your findings, take care smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 11 2016, 11:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Mertay,

I'm sure I tried swapping and it was still the amp. I'll test tomorrow all being well.

Cheers buddy

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 12 2016, 09:47 PM
Hello Mertay,

I've just reconnected everything and I can't create the problem now. mad.gif I hate it when that happens because you don't learn anything.

Oh well, I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2016, 12:29 AM
intermittent failure could indicate something as small as a bad cable or power supply. I'd say check each cable in your rig one at a time. Guitar/cable/amp, even the patch cables. You'd be shocked how often it's something small like that.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 12 2016, 03:47 PM) *
Hello Mertay,

I've just reconnected everything and I can't create the problem now. mad.gif I hate it when that happens because you don't learn anything.

Oh well, I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Cheers buddy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 13 2016, 10:18 AM
Doh!!!!!!
I've just realised, I didn't put the ground loop thing in, it must be that. Got a busy day but I'll test tonight.
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 13 2016, 07:28 PM
And be careful with the hand while doing that! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 13 2016, 09:55 PM
Hello Mertay,
Ok, I tried to record clean, not a chance. Now get this, when sending to the amp from the splitter the output is 15 decibels louder than when I switch to sending to both the amp and the soundcard (using a sound level meter next to the mic) BUT, the louder amp signal doesn't even move the peak meter in Reaper whereas the quieter one moves it about 15 decibels more. Also the tone goes from listening to a hi-fi to listening to an old little transistor radio, it loses all bass and get very thin, there is also clicking noises on the recording.

I also thought my guitar had to go for repair. The splitter makes my guitar volume knob not work properly, there is hardly any increase in volume until I get to 9 then it goes up massively from 9 to 10, I thought the pot was dying but when I went straight into the amp, a nice steady increase was to be had smile.gif It is the ground isolator that cause both of the above problems but it solves the noise issue.

It wouldn't be anything to do with the ground lift on the amp would it?

I think I'll just bin this splitter and get a Radial

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 13 2016, 10:52 PM
I've never got into the electrical side of stuff but to me when the signal is split an aspect of the electricity thats involved carrying the signal is screwed up.

I guess thats why the better splitters are so expensive as they are engineered to keep the splitted signal(s) tonally un affected.

I do know radial is really good, when searched the web seems the most guaranteed to work. Some other brands also get mentioned (like voodoo labs amp selector) but unfortunatly I don't have fresh hands on experience. What I'd do is before pulling the trigger on the radial pm gmc teachers as they're always involved in recording gmc related or not, maybe one of them could come up with a better/more affordable product option?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 13 2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I'm going to ask around but I do think I'll end up going for a Radial. Why can't electricity work like water? You put a Y connector on a hose and it splits the water flow no problem. smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 14 2016, 09:13 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 14 2016, 01:04 AM
The radial stuff is top notch IMHO and always worth the extra money. Very solid gear.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 13 2016, 05:38 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

I'm going to ask around but I do think I'll end up going for a Radial. Why can't electricity work like water? You put a Y connector on a house and it splits the water flow no problem.

smile.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks Todd,
The Radial are out of stock at the moment, so any of you know about these?
http://www.andertons.co.uk/audio-solutions...h-switching.asp

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 23 2016, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 23 2016, 11:29 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
The Radial are out of stock at the moment, so any of you know about these?

Cheers

Fulltone is also a really good brand, famous for their pedals and custom designs. Having switchable ground lift, buffer options it does look pretty cool.

Don't know how it compares to the radial but wouldn't expect it to be bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2016, 08:32 PM
WHAT MERTAY SAID!!! smile.gif FUlltone makes good stuff and this looks like a great build with great features.

Toddd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 23 2016, 12:41 PM) *
Fulltone is also a really good brand, famous for their pedals and custom designs. Having switchable ground lift, buffer options it does look pretty cool.

Don't know how it compares to the radial but wouldn't expect it to be bad.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2016, 09:56 PM
Thanks folks smile.gif

This is more of a minefield than anything else I've thought about. Someone else at Anderton's has recommended THIS, there is a youtube vid below. I'm not sure it's really what I want though. I'm thinking long and hard about this one wink.gif

I don't know Mr John Cuniberti (Surfin With The Alien etc) invented this device and sold the rights and company to Radial smile.gif

I'm still going with the quality a/b y at the moment. I would like the silent switching Fultone (if I go with that one) but it's in yukky cream colour rolleyes.gif

And what's the difference with THIS one given the price???

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 23 2016, 10:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 23 2016, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure about that reamp kit...something feels wrong to me to connect 2 boxes to split a signal...

The ABY pedal from radial though also looks promising, I guess the tuner out can be used as another split (can't be sure how clean it would be though still nice). Reviews look good.

Really up to you at this point to select which one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2016, 11:30 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 23 2016, 10:08 PM) *
I'm not sure about that reamp kit...something feels wrong to me to connect 2 boxes to split a signal...

The ABY pedal from radial though also looks promising, I guess the tuner out can be used as another split (can't be sure how clean it would be though still nice). Reviews look good.

Really up to you at this point to select which one smile.gif

I am at a loss laugh.gif I'm still thinking the twin city because the extra cost from the same manufacturer must mean something wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2016, 01:28 AM
Just make sure you can return it, whatever you get. That way if it's not for you, just swap for the other unit. At some point, you gotta try the finalists out on your rig. Some places are really flexible on returns, some are not. So make sure you buy from a vendor that is cool with swap outs/returns smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 23 2016, 05:30 PM) *
I am at a loss laugh.gif I'm still thinking the twin city because the extra cost from the same manufacturer must mean something wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks Todd,

Andertons offer 14 day refund and 30 day exchange smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:01 AM