New Setup
swingline
Feb 11 2008, 04:42 AM
GMC:er
I'm planning on getting a new recording setup and I'm pretty set on what I want, I just want some opinions. I'm planning on getting a Line 6 Toneport UX1, a Shure SM57 Mic, with a Monster Cable Xlr Cable. Any comments will be appriciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 11 2008, 04:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sounds good. I'm getting the GX or UX1 also. Everyone is using them and they sound great. Are you getting the SM57 to mic your amp, or are you just going to us the UX1? Guitar into the UX1 > Gearbox > Reaper would be less of a hassle.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 11 2008, 04:59 AM
Uncle skillet is totally right.

Unless you have a great amp you then it would probably be alot better just to use your gearbox that comes with the toneport. (Software that gives you all the tones) And it sounds great and then If you ever have to overdub then you have that exact tone( if you saved it) instead of spending alot of time with the mic position.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 11 2008, 04:59 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 10 2008, 07:55 PM) *
Sounds good. I'm getting the GX or UX1 also. Everyone is using them and they sound great. Are you getting the SM57 to mic your amp, or are you just going to us the UX1? Guitar into the UX1 > Gearbox > Reaper would be less of a hassle.

I'm micing my amp, Althogh it is some what of a pain I can never get the sound I want out of computer programs. tongue.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 11 2008, 05:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Gearbox is different and you should try it. I have a Line6 Flextone 3 Plus and it sounds great! Pretty much the same thing as the Gearbox tone (it's all modeling stuff) and also have XLR Air 2 direct outs on the back so that is probably what I'm going to use. This is just going to save me time because I already have my sounds programmed. In your case it would be a lot quicker to just program a tone, get started and sound great It is really easy to do and like 'Tjchep' said you can be more consistent with your sound and the tracks (tone and levels). Just my thoughts.

But, if you’re going to use a mic you should read some of the posts in the recording forum. A lot of tricks and things you can do to get a good sound.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 11 2008, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 10 2008, 08:31 PM) *
Gearbox is different and you should try it. I have a Line6 Flextone 3 Plus and it sounds great! Pretty much the same thing as the Gearbox tone (it's all modeling stuff) and also have XLR Air 2 direct outs on the back so that is probably what I'm going to use. This is just going to save me time because I already have my sounds programmed. In your case it would be a lot quicker to just program a tone, get started and sound great It is really easy to do and like 'Tjchep' said you can be more consistent with your sound and the tracks (tone and levels). Just my thoughts.

But, if you're going to use a mic you should read some of the posts in the recording forum. A lot of tricks and things you can do to get a good sound.

I'll try it, I've used amplitube hevily and I wasn't really imprssed, I coulnt get anything to sound right.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 03:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That setup sounds very good to me! wink.gif Though if you plan to use sm57 only for home recording I suggest maybe trying first tone ports software..Because mic-ing amps can be difficult..You would need a quiet place , possibly some of pillows around the amp and mic which has to be on a stand.. wink.gif Though If you plan to use that mic for gigs too than you should buy it straight away! wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 09:31 PM
Instructor
It is a great setup, buy it. SM57 is a great mic, I'm planning to get one soon too. Micing your amp is the best way to get a good dynamic signal. You can use the 57 for other purposes too, like singing ro micing on gigs.

BUT be aware that micing your amp isn't always what you want, even if you have a great amp. Sometimes you'll want a different sound, and then there is no point micing the amp, you can go directly into gearbox.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 20 2008, 10:57 PM
Instructor
Shure SM57 definitely is a great mic, good for pretty much anything, micing a snare drum, guitar cabs etc. It's pretty much an industry standard, practically every studio has one or usually many 57's smile.gif

So yeah, if you have a good amp and know the basics of micing an amp, that's a very good setup smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
SensE
Mar 16 2008, 03:28 AM
I have a dumped question. How to connect the SM57 for recording purpose? What kind of cord do I need? Does the cord comes with a SM57 package?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 16 2008, 12:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi SensE,
To connect an SM57 you'll need a microphone cable with an XLR female at the mic end. The other end can be any of many things depending on what you connect the mic to. You'd connect to most, but not all, preamps/mixing consoles etc via an XLR male. So in this case you need an XLR to XLR (female male) cable.

An XLR btw is a three pin connector.

There are a few instances where you might need an XLR to Jack or mini jack or speakon- so check you connections just to make sure before you buy smile.gif .

Long time since I bought an SM but I don't remember it coming with a cable.
Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 16 2008, 12:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I bought one a couple of months ago and it did NOT come with a cable!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 16 2008, 03:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't think it comes with cable but just check to what you will be connecting it and buy appropriate cable..One the mic side there is always a xlr female jack just check the device you will be connecting to...I'm sure they will have the appropriate cable in the store where you buy your mic and it shouldn't be expensive.. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Mar 16 2008, 03:00 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 16 2008, 05:21 PM
Instructor
Recently I bought 4 shure xlr cables for 25usd on eBay, maybe you can check it there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 16 2008, 05:38 PM
Instructor
The best is to use some Klotz xlr microphone cables, not too expensive and quality made.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:29 AM