Starting Homerecording (with Laptop) => Toneports?, Im not really sure what I will be able to do with that, need help plz&
Hammerfest
Jun 12 2008, 04:33 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,
have been following some of the discussion about recording in the forum, as i also want to start recording some songs, with backing tracks and so on.

Before today i barely knew anything about recording, except that its bad to just plug in your guitar in your pc (in my case a laptop), without anything in between.. Thats what a friend told me after i did it. He said i need a "sound-converter" because the sound coming from my guitar/effectspedal is not good for my computer (turned my clean sound into a pretty nice distortion).

Now ive been hearing a lot about this toneport, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice whether it would be useful for me to buy one of those (remember, at the moment i will be recording stuff with a laptop).

For example, as far as I understand, the difference between the different toneports is mostly the number of instruments you can plug in at a time. I only have one guitar available right now, so why should i not record everything 1 by 1? Couldnt i record the vocals seperately aswell?

Another question i have in my head right now is if i would need anything else, like this cubase or maybe audacity is enough? On the line 6 site they talk a lot about the software you get along with the toneport, is that enough on its own?

I just dont have any idea about recording atm, but i guess no one is born with that knowledge, so please help me out here! Tell me a bit about this sort of stuff (in rather simple terms plz - im a n00b), and whether i should spend my little money on one of those toneports, and which one.

Cheers guitarpeople!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 12 2008, 11:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The best way is to try, try, try and learn. Obviously a difficult approach unless you have thousands of dollars to spend.

I'm sure a toneport will suit your current needs. Record 1:1 like you said. I think there's a review in the reviewboards you can check for more info.

For recording software you suggest you have a look at Reaper. An excellent program that looks like the pro programs but doesn't do everything they do. It has everything I need though but I just want to keep things simple and straightforward, I can't stand super duper functionality with strawberry topping and umbrella drinks, puts me off.

There's a program with guitarport, that I have, don't know if it's the same that comes with Toneport. It's an ok program, I have had my struggles recording an entire song smoothly. It's just not built the way I want it. But for startes, sure why not. But Reaper is better and doesn't cost you anything unless you decide to pay for it - which the developers prefer of course but they left you with the choise not to.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 12 2008, 11:57 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 12 2008, 11:50 PM) *
The best way is to try, try, try and learn. Obviously a difficult approach unless you have thousands of dollars to spend.

I'm sure a toneport will suit your current needs. Record 1:1 like you said. I think there's a review in the reviewboards you can check for more info.

For recording software you suggest you have a look at Reaper. An excellent program that looks like the pro programs but doesn't do everything they do. It has everything I need though but I just want to keep things simple and straightforward, I can't stand super duper functionality with strawberry topping and umbrella drinks, puts me off.

There's a program with guitarport, that I have, don't know if it's the same that comes with Toneport. It's an ok program, I have had my struggles recording an entire song smoothly. It's just not built the way I want it. But for startes, sure why not. But Reaper is better and doesn't cost you anything unless you decide to pay for it - which the developers prefer of course but they left you with the choise not to.

I thought with Reaper you have to pay for it eventually? I haven't really used it before but i thought you got a certain trial period with it until you had to pay or it's restricted in some way?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 13 2008, 12:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jun 13 2008, 12:57 AM) *
I thought with Reaper you have to pay for it eventually? I haven't really used it before but i thought you got a certain trial period with it until you had to pay or it's restricted in some way?

No trial period, no restriction. The only limit is your conscience since you know they prefer if you pay.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 13 2008, 12:17 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Toneport ux1 or ux2 should suite your needs...Also if you can get cubase (or nuendo) thats great..Otherwise Reaper will do the job well too..
Just keep in mind when it comes to toneport that there are currently no drivers for windows vista 64bit (or xp 64bit) ..They are under development should come out soon...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 13 2008, 08:20 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I use Toneport with an old laptop (just 512 MB Ram) and it works really well, even using Reaper and more programs in the back. You should be fine!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Hammerfest
Jun 13 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks so much for you fast replies guys!

Bogdan, what do you mean with the 64bit doesnt work on vista? Its good you say that because I have vista! But does that mean that toneport and vista are not at all compatible with vista at the moment, or is it only for one setting or something? Because I read on the line 6 site something about 16 and 24 bit at several kHz, it doesnt say anything about 64? Because to be honest I dont really know what the difference betwen those would be...

Then I have another question: I already have an effects pedal, and toneport seems to be quite a lot about the sound and effects and so on, can I still just plug my pedal into the toneport and just use it as a 'gate' to my laptop? Or does it entirely replace amp and effects?

Thanks again all of you, youre really helping me out here!

This post has been edited by Hammerfest: Jun 13 2008, 10:56 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2008, 11:14 AM
Instructor
Let me explain something briefly:

Your laptop doesn't have a good soundcard for what you wanna do. So you must buy external one. Interface like Toneport provide soundcard, preamps, and inputs for unbalanced signal ("bad" signal that comes from your guitar and it is not good for soundcard line-level input).

16 and 24bit doesn't have anything to do with 64bit in Vista.
The first one is audio sampling rate, and the other one is memory mapping for CPU instructions.

I'm afraid you can't use Vista and Toneport products because there are no drivers for 64bit Vista currently.

Also you can't use your soundcard from laptop cause it's not suitable for what you wanna do (record and play stuff). So external soundcard would be a solution. Toneport products are cool because you get a software guitar emulator called Gearbox, and with it you can choose different amps, pedals etc. But since you can't use Toneport another options is to use a quality external soundcard and a guitar modeller software. This would be a more expensive option, because you now have to pay for two sepparate products. For example:

Toneport:

hardware: Toneport UX1 (for example) - ~90-100$
software: gearbox, comes bundled - free

other solution

hardware: external USB soundcard: EMU USB0202 ~ $120-130
software: guitar modeller software, or guitar effects processor - price can vary

other solutions is one for you, an I recommend EMU card, but there are a bunch of cheaper external soundcards that are good for this use from Behringer and M-Audio - I suggest you check them out. Also there are bunch of guitar modeller softwares, and guitar processors out there, and the prices can vary.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask

EDIT:

I just noticed the question on your last post:
Q
"Then I have another question: I already have an effects pedal, and toneport seems to be quite a lot about the sound and effects and so on, can I still just plug my pedal into the toneport and just use it as a 'gate' to my laptop? Or does it entirely replace amp and effects?"
A
It is important to tell us what kind of pedal you have. If you already have a pedal and wanna use it for recording you still need to get a proper soundcard with inputs that can take that signal and turn it into line balanced one, suitable for PC. In this case if you go back to the "other solution" part above your pedal would be in the place of a guitar processor.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 13 2008, 11:19 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hammerfest
Jun 14 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks Ivan, your post really cleared a lot of questions in my head!

The pedal is a Korg AX1G. I like some of the effects on there and was wondering if id be able to record them the way they are, or if i have to stop using the pedal if i start to use Toneport?

I read the System-info of my laptop, and it says that the 'system-type' (sry, i dont know how it would say in english) is 32-Bit. Is that something different than the kind of Vista (the 64bit) that you were talking about? I mean is it possible that toneport would still work on my system?
I start to feel quite safe that toneport is what I need... If it works on my System!

About your other solution: You mentioned that Id need some more software if I use the external USB soundcard, but wouldnt I need to buy extra software for the toneport solution aswell? Like Cubase or Sonar?

Ok I hope I havent frustrated you all with my probably stupid questions yet!

Thanks in any case,

Max

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2008, 01:40 PM
Instructor
No problem smile.gif

You can use you mulitFX unit along with the toneport. Just bypass the effects from the Toneport and there you go.

As far as drivers for Toneport concerns I think it is best to check with Line6 support on their website. Just look eMail them, I think they will answer that question better.

About other software.. WHen I said other software I thought guitar modelling software. Cubase or Sonar are DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software, that you use to record, playback, add effects, edit clips and lots of other things. Guitar modelling software only enables you to add effects to your guitar signal. Example of guitar modelling software is Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc.. But I don't think you need that since you have already a mutliFX unit.

Try with Line6 support to see if the drivers fit, if it does, then go for UX1. If there ar noe drivers go for EMU USB0202, that's my suggestion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerfest
Jun 14 2008, 03:48 PM
Ok Great!
Just one last question:
As far as I understand UX2 has phantom power unlike UX1. That means that with the UX2 I can use a certain kind of microphone to record either guitar or vocals, doesnt it? What is different about those kind of microphones that need phantompower and the ones that dont? So basically: wouldnt it be a good idea for me to buy the UX2 straight away and have all possibilities open rather than finding in a few years that I want to record stuff with those 'special' microphones? That is, if I can at all use Toneport (Ill email them to find out).

And then I just wanted to ask what youd recommend, Cubase or Sonar, as a DAW then? If i got it right Sonar has a drum system already inbuilt, so i wouldnt need to buy anything extra for the drums? Is that drum system in Sonar useful? Or is it better to buy Cubase and then extra drumsoftware?

Greetz,

Max

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 14 2008, 04:30 PM
Well I'm pretty sure toneport WILL work on your Vista system because it is 32bit (processor is 32bit)..I heard that it only doesn't work on 64bit versions of operating systems, currently both of Vista and XP 64bit.So I guess your pretty safe there..I don't know the price difference between ux1 and ux2..Ux2 allows you to power up condenser mics etc..You may not use that option , but it may come in handy...I also like two XLR inputs on UX2 and I don't necessary plug my microphone in there...Sometimes cable from recording out of my amp etc..So if its not a drastic price difference you can go with ux2..

EDIT : ok time for good news , I just saw that line6 put out the drivers for 64bit systems too smile.gif WOOOHOOO smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 14 2008, 04:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 15 2008, 01:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hammerfest @ Jun 14 2008, 04:48 PM) *
Ok Great!
Just one last question:
As far as I understand UX2 has phantom power unlike UX1. That means that with the UX2 I can use a certain kind of microphone to record either guitar or vocals, doesnt it? What is different about those kind of microphones that need phantompower and the ones that dont? So basically: wouldnt it be a good idea for me to buy the UX2 straight away and have all possibilities open rather than finding in a few years that I want to record stuff with those 'special' microphones? That is, if I can at all use Toneport (Ill email them to find out).

And then I just wanted to ask what youd recommend, Cubase or Sonar, as a DAW then? If i got it right Sonar has a drum system already inbuilt, so i wouldnt need to buy anything extra for the drums? Is that drum system in Sonar useful? Or is it better to buy Cubase and then extra drumsoftware?

Greetz,

Max

If you plan doing some recordings with vocals and acoustic guitar and wanna do it with a higher quality then you might consider UX2. It is little more expensive than UX1, but I say if you have the money for it - go for it. UX2 is definitely a better buy because it gives you a wider range of inputs and phantom power for condenser microphones.

I would say in real life situations the only thing that can be potentially useful on UX2 is that you have the option to record 2 microphones in separate channels simultaneously and on UX1 you don't have the option to do it properly (it can be done but not with a good quality to it).

So if you're looking for interface that will enable you to record

guitar,
guitar+vocal,
line in+vocal,
line in+guitar
then go for UX1 and buy a good vocal dynamic microphone like SM58.

If you're planning to record

guitar,
guitar+vocal,
vocal+vocal,
line in+vocal,
line in+guitar
then buy Toneport UX2, good dynamic vocal mic like SM58 and later a entry level condenser one like Rode NT1.

Regarding DAW, I think the best thing for you since you are just starting out is to buy only LE versions and try only trial versions to see what fits you the best.

I would say industry standards are definitely Steinberg's products for PC, and ProTools products for MAC. That doesn't mean that these are the best ones, just most used ones in the industry. Both platforms offer a wide range of products, and LE versions offer a good functionality for a relatively small price.

If you are not planning to give this much money for DAW's now, I suggest you check out

- Reaper (nice basic DAW software that is FREE)
- Abletone Live Lite (comes bundled with Toneport devices, so you get it FREE as well)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 16 2008, 11:51 AM
Singing Instructor
I think that toneport is a good choice,and that cubase will be enough for recording and editing.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Hammerfest
Jun 16 2008, 03:53 PM
Ok! Thanks a lot both of you!

Ill buy the UX2 today I think and then Ill see about the software. At the moment im checking out the Sonar trial-version, but it seems quite useless if I can only compose with MIDI, and that even without a keyboard. But I will see how things go.

Well anyway, I would like to thank you all for your (at least to me) very informative posts and for being so patient with a newcomer to recording like I am.
You will hear from me again as soon as Im having problems with the software:D

Take care guys,

Max

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2008, 06:56 PM
Instructor
No problem m8, we've all been there. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 16 2008, 07:50 PM
Thats why we are here mate smile.gif

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with new device smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:15 PM