2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Spending $2800
wrk
Mar 25 2008, 12:27 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Lithuanian @ Mar 24 2008, 09:45 PM) *
The thing is I'm not experienced enough to know if an amp sounds good or bad as stupid as it sounds.

If you don't know by now what your preferences are, i suggest you not to burn all $2800 just to buy some quality guitar and amp. Sound is of course an important thing, but the shape of the neck, frets, bridge/tremolo as well. I think there is nothing wrong to experiment first with some cheaper guitars and gain experiences with that. Fender strat is a great guitar, but if you think in 6 months that a strat in general is not your thing, then you don't need an american strat for $1200 to find this out. The same for LP, ...

Amps & Effects i would suggest to get something you can use for different styles of music. With the time your ears will develop to hear the details.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 25 2008, 02:27 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
The thing is I'm not experienced enough to know if an amp sounds good or bad as stupid as it sounds.

I'm exactly on the same boat mate!

I want to get me a new realy good guitar & amp, I have saved money lately, but I have to admit that I still can't tell the difference between so many different models of amps!. And the same thing with guitars: I've been trying SGs, Les pauls and Strats lately. Every time I get new strings I ask the guys at the shop to try a couple guitars... I should start trying them with different amps too tongue.gif

Someday I'll have to make the decision, in the meantime I'm reading all gear threads and checking as many reviews as I can smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 26 2008, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
Hmm, well check this out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

That is a nice sounding amp haha
I have the 112, it's pretty much eh same deal. You can get the 2x12 for around $700 cdn (112 was $450). Excellent amp for the price. If you want the footswitch, you have to buy it extra (mine was $50).

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 27 2008, 04:03 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)

But I guess you can judge if you like the sound or not, so this should be the starting point, as long as you don't like the sound of the amp, who the hell cares if it is a great amp or not wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:19 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 27 2008, 04:03 PM) *
But I guess you can judge if you like the sound or not, so this should be the starting point, as long as you don't like the sound of the amp, who the hell cares if it is a great amp or not wink.gif

+1 on that

You don't need to be an expert on gear to choose what you like..Try amp and see if YOU like it..I would suggest to tryout ones really expensive too to have them as reference.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
Mar 28 2008, 06:05 PM
What I love is Two Rock amps. Especially the John Mayer signature and the Opal Tone. But they are out of production models sad.gif And they cost +$4000. The JM signature costs around ~$9000. Daaaaaamn

This post has been edited by Lithuanian: Mar 28 2008, 06:09 PM

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 28 2008, 10:12 PM
Get a Vox AC30. Paul McCartney, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, Brian May, Bono... They all use(d) this amp. The 30W, 2x12' version costs about 800 Euro:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...roduct_id/10037

And don't think that 30W is too few. You get most loudness from the first watt.

As for a guitar, it really depends what feels good in your hands and what you love playing/listening to. Definitely try a Mexican Stratocaster, an Epiphone Les Paul and some kind of heavy-metal Ibanez.

This post has been edited by SinoMan: Mar 28 2008, 10:14 PM

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 29 2008, 04:57 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Mar 28 2008, 01:19 AM) *
+1 on that

You don't need to be an expert on gear to choose what you like..Try amp and see if YOU like it..I would suggest to tryout ones really expensive too to have them as reference.. wink.gif

I agree completely....I'd suggest trying the Marshall JCM800 Kerry King signature as that reference! haha

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Gus
Apr 5 2008, 06:14 AM
Man. What you really have to think is: You've got the money, you are the king.

Go to the best guitar stores you can and spend as many time there as you wish. You will feel tempted to buy some stuff on the first store, but take your time. Go back home and search the internet. Ask people here...

Last time I was trying to figure out what guitar to buy, I was testing lots of guitars. Made 3-4 visits to a huge guitar shop, spending 2-3 hours each playing. Finally I came across, the one I really bought. I am more than satisfied with that guitar (and that approach for buying) wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Apr 5 2008, 06:15 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Apr 5 2008, 12:46 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Apr 5 2008, 07:14 AM) *
Man. What you really have to think is: You've got the money, you are the king.

Go to the best guitar stores you can and spend as many time there as you wish. You will feel tempted to buy some stuff on the first store, but take your time. Go back home and search the internet. Ask people here...

Last time I was trying to figure out what guitar to buy, I was testing lots of guitars. Made 3-4 visits to a huge guitar shop, spending 2-3 hours each playing. Finally I came across, the one I really bought. I am more than satisfied with that guitar (and that approach for buying) wink.gif

The question is whether the shop assistants are also so satisfied with your approach laugh.gif

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 6 2008, 12:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As long as you are their possible costumer they should be satisfied smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gus
Apr 7 2008, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Apr 5 2008, 12:46 PM) *
The question is whether the shop assistants are also so satisfied with your approach laugh.gif

Yep. After a few visits one of the assistant is now my friend, and he should be satisfied because afterall I bought 2 guitars and pod x3 live there tongue.gif
Well, and he also understands a lot and helped a lot.

But I know, not everyone helps that much... Well, if they do not help at all, they do not deserve our costumer money...

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:57 PM