Another Day, Another Rut
Wilska
Apr 27 2009, 09:13 PM
GMC:er
I'm going insane guys, for the last month or so it actually feels like my playing is decaying instead of improving! I don't get anywhere new, I can't seem to get out of my habits, be they good or bad.
I was hoping some of you could maybe give me some pointers on how to go about achieving my goals. Let me tell you a few things about my playing:

I usually play atleast 30 mins a day, often more like 2 and sometimes 3 hours a day depending on how much "real life" I have to take care of. What I practice is usually this: A couple of songs which vary because they're songs i'm trying to learn at the time. For example now i'm focusing on 3 songs, but i'm trying to perfect lots of riffs in between (i'm into riff-stacking style of music). Then I try to practice a couple of solo techniques inbetween, which most often ends up being playing a couple of arpeggios with a metronome and practicing switching between 16th notes, 16th notes triplets, 16th note quintuples(?) etc, because I really like long runs where the "packs" of notes switches speed. Also I throw in some string skipping exercise maybe some legato or tapping.

I think I just realised what my problem is.. it's focus isn't it? I shouldn't try so many different things at once?
I've gotten very self-contious about my guitar playing because I regularly play with a few friends and it constantly seems like they speed ahead of me while i'm still stuck.

Any pointers on how to break out of this? I need to "evolve", to grow and learn, otherwise I fear I will put down my trusty old friend.

Oh and btw, if any swedes here lives in stockholm and would consider giving some private lessons i'm very interested!

Also, i'm looking for a not-to-expensive cam/webcam so I can record myself playing for submission here so I can get some feedback and probably learn something new, any tips?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 27 2009, 09:27 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I think that focus is very important, have problems with it myself. I think that if You have two hours to practice, spending at least 1 hour practicing one technique will bear results much faster. Practicing one thing can be boring, but with limited time it is still better IMO. If You play for 2-3 hours, well You can practice one thing for one our, second for second hour and than have some fun?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 27 2009, 09:28 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Wilska @ Apr 27 2009, 04:13 PM) *
I think I just realised what my problem is.. it's focus isn't it? I shouldn't try so many different things at once?

I found this recently and some of you might recognize it.The idea is geared toward learning scales and chords but If you think about it, it can be applied across the board and makes a lot of sense..

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Apr 27 2009, 09:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (skennington @ Apr 27 2009, 10:28 PM) *
I found this recently and some of you might recognize it.The idea is geared toward learning scales and chords but If you think about it, it can be applied across the board and makes a lot of sense..

This article i recognize it is from www.GuitarScalesMethode.com ....

and it is very true.

I spend weeks on a lesson which i though i would nail in just a few days. This is because you what to go ahead on thing. I always want to play a lesson to fast. Know i know this it doesn't frustrated me any more.
So now I start slow and keep on going, you will get all this on a good and solid ground (see the article) and eventually you will got it.

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 27 2009, 11:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ Apr 27 2009, 04:28 PM) *

That's an excellent diagram!!!!

QUOTE (Wilska @ Apr 27 2009, 04:13 PM) *
I'm going insane guys, for the last month or so it actually feels like my playing is decaying instead of improving! I don't get anywhere new, I can't seem to get out of my habits, be they good or bad.
I was hoping some of you could maybe give me some pointers on how to go about achieving my goals. Let me tell you a few things about my playing:

I usually play atleast 30 mins a day, often more like 2 and sometimes 3 hours a day depending on how much "real life" I have to take care of. What I practice is usually this: A couple of songs which vary because they're songs i'm trying to learn at the time. For example now i'm focusing on 3 songs, but i'm trying to perfect lots of riffs in between (i'm into riff-stacking style of music). Then I try to practice a couple of solo techniques inbetween, which most often ends up being playing a couple of arpeggios with a metronome and practicing switching between 16th notes, 16th notes triplets, 16th note quintuples(?) etc, because I really like long runs where the "packs" of notes switches speed. Also I throw in some string skipping exercise maybe some legato or tapping.

I've gotten very self-contious about my guitar playing because I regularly play with a few friends and it constantly seems like they speed ahead of me while i'm still stuck.

Any pointers on how to break out of this? I need to "evolve", to grow and learn, otherwise I fear I will put down my trusty old friend.

Oh and btw, if any swedes here lives in stockholm and would consider giving some private lessons i'm very interested!

Also, i'm looking for a not-to-expensive cam/webcam so I can record myself playing for submission here so I can get some feedback and probably learn something new, any tips?

You should try planning your practice sessions. Write what you will do and stick to it.
:-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 27 2009, 11:50 PM
Instructor
Learn theory well, this is the only way you will understand what you play, and go to the next level. Write down all the stuff you play, make a lesson plan that you will follow, and practice everything with a metronome - this is how you will advance faster. The more results you see, more motivation you will have, but you HAVE to make that first step!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Wilska
Apr 28 2009, 07:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 28 2009, 12:50 AM) *
Learn theory well, this is the only way you will understand what you play, and go to the next level. Write down all the stuff you play, make a lesson plan that you will follow, and practice everything with a metronome - this is how you will advance faster. The more results you see, more motivation you will have, but you HAVE to make that first step!

Thanks a lot, all of you. And Ivan, what you said about the importance of theory might actually be the hurdle I have to get over. Because right now I honestly don't understand _everything_ I play. Should have known that would be a basic skill =)

I'll try to figure out some kind of plan to move ahead. Thanks for the input guys

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
JamesT
Apr 29 2009, 09:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Lots of good advice above and not sure that I have much to add except... Be patient with yourself. It does take time for that concrete to harden and it's that time period where you have to be persistent and more importantly patient cause sometimes it takes a lot longer than you would have hoped. I've read elswhere too that all practice is good practice. I believe this, but do tend to agree that you've got to focus on areas of weakness in order to build that foundation.

Taking my own advice, after twenty years of playing, I've gone back to basics in a big way in the last year. Starting with the way I hold the pick and with alternate picking. My skills are pretty good except for AP, and I've got a LOT of work to do in that area ... to such an extent that it's like starting over. So for the last year, I've dedicated 70 percent of my practice to AP. ...with only small gains in AP. But I've noticed that these small gains have really spilled over into "the way I used to play" and in that in one years time, the stuff I used to do is easier for me than it was before.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 29 2009, 09:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Wilska @ Apr 27 2009, 09:13 PM) *

I feel your pain brother!!

Two things changed my attitude to playing guitar, I found GMC and I started taking formal lessons. The former is not only a great source of information, expertise and opinions, but also a grat source of encouragement too!
The latter is also important to me as my private tutor keeps me focused on learning the whole instrument and not just how to play that song, how to play this riff etc..
It can get expensive for a tutor but a good one will open up things in your playing that you didnt even know existed!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:32 AM